BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #1
335educaton
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Replacing run flat tires

I have a 2011 135i m-sport convertible. The dealer told me I'm in need to replace my tires. 2 questions for the forum to respond:

1. I'd like to replace run flats with conventional tires. If I do this, will there be a warning sensor that will activate due to this change? I would like to get the tires on line and have a place to install them. My local dealer refuses to do it; they'll do only run flats they would sell to me.
2. Will changing the tires from run flats to conventional tires adversely affect the value of the car if I ever decide to put up for sale?

Would appreciate advice on one or both issues. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

I changed to conventional tires 2 years ago, and no, there will be no warnings that you are not running runflats. And I suspect that most people have no idea if they have runflats or not, so while I can't say for sure I wouldn't expect there to be a discount associated with not having runflats.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

I replaced my run flats two years ago. I recommend Goodyear Eagle Sport. They wear quite well.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I replaced the Bridgestone RE050 run-flats with Pirelli P Zero All Seasons with no issues, the Pirellis are 225/40 18 front and 255/35 18 rear. I went with the Pirellis for a very specific reason and that was predicated on how I use the car - as a Grand Tourer of the old school variety. There are a lot of other good tires available to fit the car and budget, I believe you can't go wrong with Michelin Pilots ever.

The only possible reason for sticking with run-flats on a BMW would be if you were on a lease or intended to return the car to a dealership who would then put it in their CPO program, but our 1ers are beyond the cutoffs for inclusion in a CPO.

Gotta say if you don't know exactly what you want to replace the current tires, figure out what you are going to do with the car and then use the data available on Tire Rack to help narrow down the choices.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

1. No
2. No

I replaced my RF's long time ago. The RFs were extremely noisy. The used Michelins I put on were very quiet. Never going back to RFs.
Talk with the Tire Rack people for their recommendations and also one of their recommended installers. Remember most garages don't like you bringing in your parts for them to install.
My wifes Audi TT had RFs and they were barely half worn and extremely noisy and demanded that we replace them with non RFs.
If I'm going very far from home, I'll carry a spare tire, jack & lug nut wrench in trunk. Now saying that, 2 yrs ago I did a 2400 mile round trip without any spare (but I wouldn't do that again).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
335educaton
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Thanks for the info....you folks mentioned tire rack. I've ordered my tires thru another site called discount tire direct.com........should I just go with tire rack or will the other site be able to help?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Discount Tire is who I currently use because they have a location near my house and they do good work, but I research tire choices without their recommendations. I've ordered tires from Tire Rack in the past and have always gotten excellent service from them. Either one will work.

Sounds like you've already ordered replacements though.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I went with non run flat Michelin AS3+ and never looked back. I also went one size up. I was considering making suspension changes until then. But they ride so good now I didn’t change anything else. So much quieter and grippier at the same time compared to the OEM Bridgestone.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I rode on runflats longer than I should've just for the practicality of them. They were horrible. But, I did get 3 punctures while I had them and was able to drive to the tire store in my own car each time.

Went to Michelin PSS after that and it was a big difference. When those recently wore out I went to the Michelin PS4S - the tire that replaces the PSS - which is an even better tire.

You will enjoy your car so much more without the runflats. Just get AAA or a mobility kit or something to deal with a flat, should you get one (which you probably will one day).
      01-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #10
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Stickies are your friend https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1145886
      01-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

...and yes, of course... a spare. lol

Recently got some scratches on one of my wheels so I bought another one and now I need to buy another tire and a jack kit and I'll be set with my scratched wheel as my spare.

PS - dealer scratched my wheel and paid for the new one.
      01-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #12
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The car has no idea what kind of tires are on it. No problem with regular tires, I am on my second set. Both have been "square", same size on all four corners. My rims are half an inch different but they work OK. I carry a Viair 70P air compressor and a plugging kit. I've used the compressor, usually because the pressure is low due to the air temperature falling. In over 45 years driving, I have not had a flat that was anything other than a slow leak (on a car, had a dryrotted trailer tire blow out once). I also have AAA.
      01-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

There is a reason run flats are called run craps. I too ran on run craps way too long. Not only are they not good performance tires. The run craps create a way too harsh of a ride quality. Initially, I liked the feel of run craps as I have had a modified suspension, but it got old quick. Driving over expansion joints on the highway would feel as if I was driving over a pot hole. And be fore warned. Because of the stiffness of the stupid run crap side walls, hitting anything with a decent dip will most likely bend the wheel. It did with mine.

Also, if you hit enough harsh bumps and such, the side walls of the run craps can degrade. You'll see this with bubbling on the sidewall. One of the run craps on my car had this.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43590.50
      01-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #14
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

My car came with Dunlop run flats and I changed them to Michelin A/S3+. No more tramlining and twitchiness under braking with the Dunlops, and the Michelins have more grip in the dry but especially in the wet, and are more comfortable and quieter.

I have a Slime tire repair kit, but Michelin does offer 3 yr flat changing or 150 miles of towing "if an inflated spare is not available".

For your second question, some dealers like CarMax will only sell these cars with run flat tires so they may deduct the cost of replacement run flat tires from any trade in value they offer you.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #15
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
The car has no idea what kind of tires are on it. No problem with regular tires, I am on my second set. Both have been "square", same size on all four corners. My rims are half an inch different but they work OK. I carry a Viair 70P air compressor and a plugging kit. I've used the compressor, usually because the pressure is low due to the air temperature falling. In over 45 years driving, I have not had a flat that was anything other than a slow leak (on a car, had a dryrotted trailer tire blow out once). I also have AAA.
This ^^

I carry a portable air pump. & cheap plug kit + have roadside asst. through my insurance company. I figure, if it's a slow leak (most common) I can add air and drive to a tire shop. If I'm on a road trip I can try to plug it. If it's a blow out I'll call the road side assistance (AAA)

The pump is one of these which is the portable pump I used to carry on motorcycle trips.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW8U043..._5ByvCbST38DH4
      02-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #16
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i White/Red

unpopular opinion: Run flats dont do anything and is just an overpriced tire.

"bUt ThE sIdEwAlL iS tHiCkEr" If your tire is flat, its flat. You should never be driving on your shoulder.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #17
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by christofis135i View Post
unpopular opinion: Run flats dont do anything and is just an overpriced tire.

"bUt ThE sIdEwAlL iS tHiCkEr" If your tire is flat, its flat. You should never be driving on your shoulder.
Only valid reason to keep em is on the wife's car. I don't want her stuck on the side of the road. On my car regular tires.
      02-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #18
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Pretty sure run flats came on my wife's 370Z. I asked her this morning and she said "yeah, they did." Anywho, when the tires wore out she put Michelin PSSs on.

Ladies appreciate performance...

02-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #19
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335educaton View Post
I have a 2011 135i m-sport convertible. The dealer told me I'm in need to replace my tires. 2 questions for the forum to respond:

1. I'd like to replace run flats with conventional tires. If I do this, will there be a warning sensor that will activate due to this change? I would like to get the tires on line and have a place to install them. My local dealer refuses to do it; they'll do only run flats they would sell to me.
2. Will changing the tires from run flats to conventional tires adversely affect the value of the car if I ever decide to put up for sale?

Would appreciate advice on one or both issues. Thanks
I switched to regular tires, Goodyear Eagles, and the ride quality was noticeably better. I carry a plug in pump and string plugs, and have a towing service insurance policy. This is my car, though my wife drives it locally sometimes. The Eagles are great tires, and I paid about $600 on sale, mounted and balanced, and no issues with the TPMS.

02-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #20
bobdavisnpf
Hapless Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 135i, '89 E30 vert

Costco had no problem ordering in non-RF Michelin Pilot AS3+ for me - they're their most-popular tire for this car despite the non-RF. They did nix out their free Road Hazard Warranty due to the non-RF. nbd to me, as I've not felt like I got good value from road hazard warranties in the past.
I've used Discount Tire and they've been excellent here. They had the original stock tire size for my E30 when even TireRack did not. Went back and rebalanced for no charge when I found slight vibration, and were up-front that the first tech hadn't realized the weights had to be balanced laterally (inside/outside some centerline).

most compact air pump i found: Dynaplug Ultra Compact 12 Volt Tire Inflator - Micro Pro Model
Also getting: Slime 1034-A T-Handle Tire Plug Kit
      02-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #21
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My compressor is a Viair 70P. It came with a little zippered bag that fits nicely into the space on the right side of the trunk. It has enough space for the plugging kit and a gauge too. It is surprisingly quick to air up a tire and is not terribly noisy. At home where I have 3 other compressors I usually just use it.

My wife drove her car home on run flats. If you drive more than 50 miles you are supposed to replace them. Our favorite tire place will patch tires from the inside but unfortunately hers was too damaged - another reason to prefer an inside plug/patch when possible. From the outside you would not know. I think run flats will get you a reasonable distance after they loose air pressure but most of the time they are only saving you a few minutes with an air compressor. That doesn't justify the expense or the reduced performance to me.
      02-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #22
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport E88

After buying my 135i M Sport last month and looking into replacement tires for the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Summer RFT tires which require different sizes front to back, I was appalled at the cost.. about $1600 for the full set and looking at the CarFax report on this 40k mile car they were replaced twice already. I ended up going with a set of Potenza All Season RE980 for less than $700 and they are great. Also had this same tire on my 2009 Z4 for many years after replacing the RF tires on it and was very happy with them. On my 135i after changing the tires and inflating them to the door pressure, you go into the settings and reset the pressure in two places for the monitor system, very easy. Yes, Summer tires have more bite/grip, but are very soft and wear out fast and are not worth it unless spending money isn't important to you, or you track the car.
Appreciate 0