BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

Swishing sound

Finally had some nice weather down here over the weekend and had a chance for some slower driving with the windows open, downtown. My wife and I both noticed a swishing or light rubbing sound. Sound present regardless of applying brakes or not. Definitely one or more of the wheels, as sound speeds up and down with car speed. Can't tell where it's coming from.

Currently have about 6700 miles, but I remember thinking I heard same a couple thousand miles ago also, in my parking garage (though car was new to me then, so wasn't sure). It's not something I can feel -- only hear, at slow speeds with window down.

Car is a 2013, CPO, covered through 12/18.

Thoughts?

Think dealer will find/fix? I've never had warranty work done on any of my cars before (have on wife's), guess I make an appointment so they'll have a loaner for me?

Thanks gang.

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Convertible

I can hear the turbo in mine and it makes a "swish" or wining sound... could just be the turbo?
Quafle LSD 3.46
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I get a sound when I'm going slow and it's very quiet with the windows down. It is more pronounced in a parking lot or when I'm next to a curb. It sounds like it's coming from one of the front wheels. It sounds kind of like a wha-wha-wha sound that I hear with every revolution of the wheels. I Thought it was possibly the air blowing through the spokes of my wheels because it is such a quiet sound.

I've told my dealer about it, thinking it was brakes rubbing or something, but they said the brakes aren't rubbing and don't hear it. I have literally heard the sound for a couple of years or more, but like I said, only when it's quiet and at slow speeds. With or without applying the brakes. I wonder if it's the same sound you hear?
      10-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Carrera S PDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
I get a sound when I'm going slow and it's very quiet with the windows down. It is more pronounced in a parking lot or when I'm next to a curb. It sounds like it's coming from one of the front wheels. It sounds kind of like a wha-wha-wha sound that I hear with every revolution of the wheels. I Thought it was possibly the air blowing through the spokes of my wheels because it is such a quiet sound.

I've told my dealer about it, thinking it was brakes rubbing or something, but they said the brakes aren't rubbing and don't hear it. I have literally heard the sound for a couple of years or more, but like I said, only when it's quiet and at slow speeds. With or without applying the brakes. I wonder if it's the same sound you hear?
I have the exact same thing, if I just roll the car around 1500 rpm that sound from the fronts. Have an appt set for tuesday to check it out. Could be a bad bearing maybe? Noise came with old runflats, with the new pss as well so doubt its tire balancing. Bent wheel is an alternative maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
I have the exact same thing, if I just roll the car around 1500 rpm that sound from the fronts. Have an appt set for tuesday to check it out. Could be a bad bearing maybe? Noise came with old runflats, with the new pss as well so doubt its tire balancing. Bent wheel is an alternative maybe?
Please let us know what they say.
      10-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
Was just thinking, for me it probably isn't a wheel bearing because that would get worse, and louder over time, and like I said, I've been hearing it for a couple of years now and it's very quiet.

Doubt if it's a balancing issue either because you can usually feel that. The car might shimmy or shake, or you might feel it in the steering wheel. Especially if it was a front wheel out of balance.

I guess it could be a bent rim, but I would think I'd feel that as well. Again, especially if it was a front rim.
      10-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

EvenE, can't be sure, but I think my sound is different. Sounds like a faint swish/scuffing sound. Not constant, more like swish-swish-swish (matching the wheel speed).

Thanks gang for any thoughts.

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
EvenE, can't be sure, but I think my sound is different. Sounds like a faint swish/scuffing sound. Not constant, more like swish-swish-swish (matching the wheel speed).

Thanks gang for any thoughts.
My sound is not constant either. I can hear the sound once with every revolution of the wheels, so the sound will speed up or slow down depending on the speed I'm going. I might describe my sound as a faint scuffing sound as well. Again, I only hear it when it's very quiet outside and with the windows down.