BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Replaced air filter and cabin air filter for under $30

I get suggestions from Amazon a lot which I mostly ignore. But late last week they suggested a cabin air filter, EPAuto CP430 for $14.87 and a engine air filter, Fram CA10464 for $11.99. It had been over a year since I replaced either of these so I ordered both and put them in yesterday. It was pretty simple after I gave up and pulled the airbox that contains the engine air filter. The new filters fit fine. I would not have purchased an unknown brand engine air filter but for the cabin, it seemed OK to me. I also took an additional few minutes and cut out the carbon filter from the airbox.
      03-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Good deal. I'm sure you recall the negative thread about oil filters so glad you didn't try that.

Would like your impressions of the carbon filter delete after some driving.
      03-26-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I have been resisting the urge to floor it the last couple days (I usually do this when frustrated with another driver) but it seems to be revving a little more freely now. But since I replaced the filter and removed the other filter at the same time, it is hard to tell which did what. I don't really see a purpose for the carbon filter. I have nearly 85,000 miles on my car now and it seems like if it is catching anything it had to be dirty by now. So mainly I was just getting rid of something I don't think the car really needs. BMW does a lot of right things but I don't put that filter into that category.

I only buy Mann oil filters (on Amazon).
gjm1202183.00
      11-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I have been resisting the urge to floor it the last couple days (I usually do this when frustrated with another driver) but it seems to be revving a little more freely now. But since I replaced the filter and removed the other filter at the same time, it is hard to tell which did what. I don't really see a purpose for the carbon filter. I have nearly 85,000 miles on my car now and it seems like if it is catching anything it had to be dirty by now. So mainly I was just getting rid of something I don't think the car really needs. BMW does a lot of right things but I don't put that filter into that category.

I only buy Mann oil filters (on Amazon).
I think the purpose of the carbon filter was to catch any oil vapors coming back out of the intake area when the car is turned off.

I did the delete and added a washable filter that looked a lot more robust than the paper one. It sounded like it could breath better but like you I did both at the same time so hard to know for sure which helped more.

I since did the euro box mod and silicone boot and using the stock filter. I like it a lot more and easier to to open and remove and is basically oem fitment.
Appreciate 0