BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

YCW Carbon Driveshaft

I recently installed a YCW (dry) carbon fiber driveshaft on my 1M, from teammfactory.com. I weighed the driveshaft on my super accurate bathroom scale @ 12lbs. Picking it up, you immediately notice most of the weight is in the rear CV joint (empty ice cream box feeling).

I've only had the car for a month, but my first impression is more direct throttle input (tires rip loose easier). I'd read reviews from E9x M3 owners who claimed a reduction in NVH, and I agree. The single piece shaft is definitely smoother with less noise and more feel.

Make sure you check the heat shield clearance. I was in a small hurry and didn't notice it was just barely rubbing in the rear (only under deflection) until the next day. There wasn't any damage, just removed a layer of paint from the metal end of the shaft. I used the backend of a plastic screwdriver handle to clearance the shield (circled in orange, below). The flanged connection to the guibo is also machined in such a way that you can just barely get a wrench on the bolt head. In any case, for roughly the same price as an OEM shaft, you can make your 1M a little more exotic and put some carbon where it counts.

I also installed a 128i performance shift lever (after removing the too short Dinan lever) and it is sublime, p/n 25117542200. The knob is noticeably higher, but feels perfect to me. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts both feel how they should've from factory (timing wise). I'm definitely not feeling the stutter into 3rd, but I also changed trans and diff fluid, YMMV.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Nice! Now I have driveshaft envy.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
PRTSB1M285.00
      10-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: mostly NA, sometimes turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Where are they made?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #4
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: mostly NA, sometimes turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I also installed a 128i performance shift lever (after removing the too short Dinan lever) and it is sublime, p/n 25117542200. The knob is noticeably higher, but feels perfect to me. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts both feel how they should've from factory (timing wise).

I did a short research and realize this is not the part number for Bmw performance ss shift kit, my gearbox is full oem like 100% oem from factory, no cdv, stock mounts. What is the difference between what you installed and the Bmw performance kit, is the actual shift travel shorter? And is it the same length feeling between 135 and 246
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #5
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtim View Post
I also installed a 128i performance shift lever (after removing the too short Dinan lever) and it is sublime, p/n 25117542200. The knob is noticeably higher, but feels perfect to me. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts both feel how they should've from factory (timing wise).

I did a short research and realize this is not the part number for Bmw performance ss shift kit, my gearbox is full oem like 100% oem from factory, no cdv, stock mounts. What is the difference between what you installed and the Bmw performance kit, is the actual shift travel shorter? And is it the same length feeling between 135 and 246
I'm not sure where you're looking, but this is definitely the performance lever for 128i.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...25#25117542200

If you look at pictures of the original shift lever from 1M or N55 135i:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/25117605482/

Compared to performance lever from 128i:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/25117542200/

You can see that the portion above the pivot ball is longer and so is the portion below. It is a simple lever. Longer portion below the pivot makes throw (distance your hand moves) shorter. The longer portion above pivot moves shifter closer to driver and helps offset increase in force from shorter throw.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50