E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Smart Mirrors

09-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Smart Mirrors

So, it appears that the folding outside rearview mirrors are "smart" but I'm unable to find any documentation of this feature in the manuals. Have you all noticed the following?:
1) System will not allow you to fold mirrors back at speed.
2) System will automatically extend mirrors if you forget. (On this feature, we are still trying to figure out if this is a function of speed or time, as they seem to automatically extend at inconsistent times upon exit from our garage over the past few mornings. I don't think it's speed related, but perhaps a "pulse" is sent every several (30?) seconds and the mirrors automatically extend only when that pulse tells the system that the car is moving with the mirrors still folded).
Has anyone else noticed/played with this function? Anyone care? In any case, it's pretty neat, and someone apparently put some thought into it.
Mike
      09-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Coupe

it seems to be speed related to me, but the only time i fold the mirrors is at the same parking lot every day, so it may just take me the same amount of time to hit 30 every day
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06graphite
it seems to be speed related to me, but the only time i fold the mirrors is at the same parking lot every day, so it may just take me the same amount of time to hit 30 every day
Speed related?? You think??
If it IS speed related (vs. time), then that means my wife hit 30 before she got past the next door neighbor's driveway! (where she says she first noticed the mirrors extending automatically).
Hmm . . . I guess she IS fully aware that her "break-in" period is now over
      09-27-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
It is speed related. If you are going over 25mph you will not be able to fold the mirrors in. Likewise if the mirrors are folded in and you then accelerate past 25mph the mirrors will unfold. Try it and you'll see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

do they fold in automatically somehow? i know a lot of cars come with a button that you push and they both fold in. this is big on japanesse cars because the streets are soo narrow and crazy there. if our cars can automatically fold them out, you would think you can fold them in by the touch of a button.
this is kinda funny because just yesterday when i left the dealership, i started driving and realized the passanger mirror was folded the other way. and i had to stop and reach over and fold it back.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
do they fold in automatically somehow? i know a lot of cars come with a button that you push and they both fold in. this is big on japanesse cars because the streets are soo narrow and crazy there. if our cars can automatically fold them out, you would think you can fold them in by the touch of a button.
this is kinda funny because just yesterday when i left the dealership, i started driving and realized the passanger mirror was folded the other way. and i had to stop and reach over and fold it back.
theres a little button next to the mirror adjustment controls that would fold them in...i have the premium pack though and i think the power folding is in the package...not sure though...
      09-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #7
jhbodle
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My one has a button next to the mirror adjustment switch to fold in the mirrors electronically, but that's only because I ordered Electrically-folding exterior mirrors (you can order everything separately here in the UK). In the US I think you need the Premium package to get the electric folding mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Power folding mirrors is a option

In Europe you can even make them fold by holding down the lock button on the key
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck724
theres a little button next to the mirror adjustment controls that would fold them in...i have the premium pack though and i think the power folding is in the package...not sure though...
i think you're right about it being part of the premium package...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #10
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet

In Europe you can even make them fold by holding down the lock button on the key
i can only get that to work if i put the key in the door and turn it all the way right and hold.
      09-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have the premium package and mines only close if press the button or use the key and turn to right.

How do you use the lock button to open/close the side mirrors

This is a little unrelated but is it possible to close all mirrors and lock the door once you get out of the car without turning the key? I tried holding the lock button and tapping it twice but it doesnt seem to work
      09-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #12
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck724
i can only get that to work if i put the key in the door and turn it all the way right and hold.
Doesnt work in USA
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #13
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i think i remember this actually. im pretty sure you DO need the premium package for the power folding in. so do you have to have the premium package for the "smart" mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz
I have the premium package and mines only close if press the button or use the key and turn to right.

How do you use the lock button to open/close the side mirrors

This is a little unrelated but is it possible to close all mirrors and lock the door once you get out of the car without turning the key? I tried holding the lock button and tapping it twice but it doesnt seem to work
That function does not work in the USA
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #15
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
That function does not work in the USA
I don't understand why things like these can't be standard around the world. Is this standard for all other BMW models at USA? I'm not sure if I can do this with my family's X5
      09-27-2005, 02:58 PM   #16
Red
Chris Bangle For Prez
Rep
Drives: Ford (yea, I know)

Why BMWNA be hatin?
      09-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz
I don't understand why things like these can't be standard around the world. Is this standard for all other BMW models at USA? I'm not sure if I can do this with my family's X5
Its apparently as law thing, just like the USA ( and Australia ? ) getting the disclaimer screen on the NAV screen
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #18
jhbodle
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Doesnt work in USA
I can confirm this works in the UK as E90Fleet suggested.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #19
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Why would a law not allow something like that so useful? I understand that there needs to be a caution system for people who has no common sense but why the mirrors? Scared that some kids finger is going to get stuck or something? It just doesn't make sense to me
      09-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #20
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz
Why would a law not allow something like that so useful? I understand that there needs to be a caution system for people who has no common sense but why the mirrors? Scared that some kids finger is going to get stuck or something? It just doesn't make sense to me
I haven’t thought about it in detail but I expect that American legal initiatives have brought about a lot of important features with respect to automobile safety that benefit everybody (including those in other countries like mine) along with the few mostly minor, ridiculous things. Having said that, I don’t think Americans are any safer than citizens of less litigious Western democracies that maybe rely more on people’s common sense and personal responsibility for their well-being. I guess sometimes you have to take the good with the bad in order to get the good. Apparently, there are over 1 million lawyers in the USA, more than 1 for every 300 men, women and children. The rule of law is the cornerstone of democracy and must be protected, but geez.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #21
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz
Its part of the system whereby you can close all the windows and sunroof by holding the lock button down.

This is not allowed on USA BMWs for apparently legal reasons
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 07:26 PM   #22
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Its part of the system whereby you can close all the windows and sunroof by holding the lock button down.

This is not allowed on USA BMWs for apparently legal reasons
What!??!?!? I was really looking forward to that!!!!!!! Can I have the dealer reprogram it to do that, or do you think they're going to be stiffs about it?

Appreciate 0