BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
Japresto91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP 6SPD

AA Headers no muffler

Hello all, fairly new to the forums and just wanted to reach out for some thoughts on an issue I am having. I just recently received and installed AA headers to my N51 128i. Before this install though I had already done secondary cats and muffler deletes. I was not aware with these headers that the sound difference would be as drastic as it is as I have never done this before. I am looking for a solution and if I cannot find one plan on re installing the stock headers as it was perfect before. I also have an incredible idle surge about 400-500 rpm with these new headers and have reset throttle adaptations just not driven very far. Sorry for my broken english, any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I do not have access to the stock muffler as the shop discarded it and I had forgotten to take it when I had the job performed.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

You need a tune for the headers for them to run properly.

I'm assuming you have the resonator still in place. A 128i muffler will quiet it down substantially. I'd say quieter than a muffler delete alone. A 135i muffler will make it sound sporty but not too loud, and no drone either.

11-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #3
Japresto91
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhb View Post
You need a tune for the headers for them to run properly.

I'm assuming you have the resonator still in place. A 128i muffler will quiet it down substantially. I'd say quieter than a muffler delete alone. A 135i muffler will make it sound sporty but not too loud, and no drone either.

Nice! I am currently running the AA headers secondary cats also deleted and yes both stock resonators are still in place. I have the turners motorsport stage 2 tune so I dont have any CEL but I was told the idle surge should go away over time. my question is is will I benefit from adding resonators or a 135i muffler? what will it do to the performance of the new headers? I am strongly considering just going back to the stock headers as the exhaust note was rather perfect. my main concern is I noticed after header install a lot of the low end torque that was there is now gone. However I have a hard time realizing that im going almost 80-85mph because there is plenty of power in the top end..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

You’re the 4th person I’ve seen mention idle surging after doing headers on an N51 (me included). I did my headers a year ago and have the BPC tune and it has not gotten better since install. My mechanic claims to have called BPC and was told that this is how these cars idle. However, I called BPC myself recently and was told this is NOT normal and they gave me a few ideas to chase down. If I find a solution I’ll make a thread about it.

Lack of low end torque seems weird. My car pulls significantly harder than stock all the way from idle to redline. I think something is wrong with your 3-stage intake manifold or you may have some other issue.

I have the stock exhaust and it’s a touch quieter than I would like. I may do the 135i muffler. I have heard AA headers + 135i muffler is a good combo.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Japresto91
Private
United_States
Rep

:BUMP:

So the car is currently back in the shop waiting my decision. I cant seem to find any videos with someone that has the exact setup I am leaning towards so I wanted to ask opinions. my current setup is the AA headers with stage 3 manifold, eurobox mod, secondary cat delete and muffler delete. The car is TOO loud for a daily and I am self conscious of driving it at the moment because frankly it sounds like dook. Would installing a 135i muffler solve the issue of it being too loud or is this setup still not dailyable? I also have the rough idle surge that is effecting my choice and the shift of the power band to the higher end. thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japresto91 View Post
:BUMP:

So the car is currently back in the shop waiting my decision. I cant seem to find any videos with someone that has the exact setup I am leaning towards so I wanted to ask opinions. my current setup is the AA headers with stage 3 manifold, eurobox mod, secondary cat delete and muffler delete. The car is TOO loud for a daily and I am self conscious of driving it at the moment because frankly it sounds like dook. Would installing a 135i muffler solve the issue of it being too loud or is this setup still not dailyable? I also have the rough idle surge that is effecting my choice and the shift of the power band to the higher end. thoughts?
I say put muffler on and give it a week or two to see if the idle surge goes away.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Japresto91
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcossE82 View Post
I say put muffler on and give it a week or two to see if the idle surge goes away.
Is the 135i muffler with this setup tolerable? I am not TOO concerned with the idle surge but it is a factor of decision in the end. Mainly just trying to figure out how loud I should expect to be if I went the 135i muffler route with catless headers I believe the stock resonator/resonators are still there but I also didn't install the headers so I cant be sure without raising the car. I appreciate your time!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcossE82 View Post
Is the 135i muffler with this setup tolerable? I am not TOO concerned with the idle surge but it is a factor of decision in the end. Mainly just trying to figure out how loud I should expect to be if I went the 135i muffler route with catless headers I believe the stock resonator/resonators are still there but I also didn't install the headers so I cant be sure without raising the car. I appreciate your time!
The 135 muff should quiet it out a good bunch but, you've got cat less headers! But, assuming you put the muffler on, it would be beneficial to try and connect the valve system in the muffler that opens after 4K rpm( or 3k not sure). And if it's still not what you want you could either put the stick resonators in or Find a high flow res, (not sure where to find one lol)
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #9
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
It can't hurt to try the 135i muffler. The AA headers with otherwise stock exhaust (including secondary cats) is not really louder than stock. I hear a bit more growl in the cabin but it's very, very subdued. The 135i muffler is supposed to be the perfect balance.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
Blacksport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

I'm running AA headers with Magnaflow cat-back exhaust...total bolt-on using the stock hangers...you have to cut the stock pipe in 1 location, easy with a Sawzall...Fantastic sound...other BMW owners tell me at traffic lights how good it sounds...
'13 128i 6sp, '19 Cherokee Ltd 3.2, '17 Ducati SuperSport S Gone But Not Forgotten: 74 Z28, 77 Datsun 280Z (1st 5sp in US), 92 Nissan 300ZTT, 94 MB SL600 V12, 01 M Roadster, 66 Yamaha TwinJet 100, 70 Suzuki X6 Hustler Race: GP/FP Spitfire SCCA, Merlyn FF SCCA, Mazda RX7 IMSA GTU, Yamaha FZR 400 AMA.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #11
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]

here's my car with AA headers and a muffler delete

inside the cabin the noise was manageable. it was still loud as shit though

I have since added a 2.25" vibrant bottle resonator where the muffler used to be. calmed it down greatly but now there's drone at 2-2.5k rpm
Appreciate 1