BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #67
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

read up heyimsam
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #68
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
I'm sure it can be done and crazy mad power can be derived. Problem is now you have a fully modded car with huge sums of money in it. No warranty at all and no chance of keeping it.

There is going to be no "cheap" relatively lag free single turbo that is run by the stock ecu.

Modding cars is never cheap or mechanical worry free. I learn a few cars ago, that if you really want ZO6 performance then you should just buy the ZO6. Cheaper in the long run and works every time you put the key in.

I have blown up one engine in my car modding experience and that was enough to stop me from trying to push a turd to light speed.
Well I wasn't saying that we should do it ourselves - I mean of course if you have enough money, time and skill you can make a 1.8l civic engine run low 12's - but that's not what I was getting at.

I just want to point out that with BMW detuning the car so that there is now noticeable lag - BMW should rethink the N54 and the 135 altogether - their our other options out there and why weren't they explored? Was it a cost saving exercise to have 1 engines into 2 cars? Maybe BMW should re think the parts they're having problems with - detuning a car just sucks!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #69
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Well I wasn't saying that we should do it ourselves - I mean of course if you have enough money, time and skill you can make a 1.8l civic engine run low 12's - but that's not what I was getting at.

I just want to point out that with BMW detuning the car so that there is now noticeable lag - BMW should rethink the N54 and the 135 altogether - their our other options out there and why weren't they explored? Was it a cost saving exercise to have 1 engines into 2 cars? Maybe BMW should re think the parts they're having problems with - detuning a car just sucks!
"detuning" by my definition mean losing hp/tq. The lag issue isn't hp/tq related.

It's a wastegate spooling issue. The hesitation issue while spooling.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #70
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
"detuning" by my definition mean losing hp/tq. The lag issue isn't hp/tq related.

It's a wastegate spooling issue. The hesitation issue while spooling.
It absolutely is losing horsepower/torque. Just because the peak numbers are the same, doesn't mean that at 1k rpm there isn't less power. It can't possibly be slower and have no loss of power.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #71
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn View Post
It absolutely is losing horsepower/torque. Just because the peak numbers are the same, doesn't mean that at 1k rpm there isn't less power. It can't possibly be slower and have no loss of power.
So dyno's to prove. We are talking a few seconds to get full power not amount of power.

Lag is a function of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #72
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

any 135s with program 30.xxxx?

I am wondering if this solves any issues...

E90 has some say yes, some say no
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #73
imported_LiveFast135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

ok, i just read EVERYTHING that there was to say on e90, and from what I got, there's no such thing as v30, it was a misconception, and someone complained to BMW enough so that they did something, and he says his lag is all gone now...so there's hope, there's always hope.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #74
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

I see a trend here, the people who have their 135's are the ones saying they have no problems. The people who don't have a 135 (yet) are concerned about a problem that some other person says they have?? My car performs flawlessly and I can feel the full torque come in at 1300-1400 if I floor it when the revs are just above idle. Due to the nature of turbos the has to be lag even if it is 1/10 of a second, If you drive at 10% throttle the turbos are in a low pressure state, you floor it 100% the injectors have to spray more fuel, more gas produced, turbos increase pressure, force more air, all this takes a few cycles of the engine, hence the lag. In a normally aspirated car the instant the injectors spray at 100% then you are at full power for that RPM point. The other consideration is the VANOS system, the changing of the valve timing takes a few moments also. The 128i has valvetronic the 135 has what the older BMW 6's had and having had a 325 (2000 model) it had some lag before power built as the VANOS system changed from economy to power settings.
      06-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #75
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Maybe this so called lag people are experiencing is only in Manual models. I have Steptronic and the car feels like a N/A car. The power is always ready and I have yet to be disappointed as long im using DS mode or the paddles.

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #76
imported_LiveFast135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

go on e90post, a guy said he took his car to the dealer to compare it to a v27.x 335i and there was a significant difference
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #77
imported_RxBMW
Rep

Does anyone know at what point BMW started installing version 29.2 in the cars? Mine was finished the first of May (still don't have it damnit!!) and was wondering if my car will be affected. On the other hand, I am wondering if this is something I should get my panties in a wad about or if a select few are creating mass hysteria in everyone else where it is not really warranted.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #78
gan08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135

i'm tired of the 29.2 slow start on 1st and 2nd gear, how can i ask my SA to refresh the SW for free if there is new version out?:iono:
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 01:11 AM   #79
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxBMW View Post
Does anyone know at what point BMW started installing version 29.2 in the cars?
In March.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 01:46 AM   #80
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Which version for an early feb build?

And how do we find out which version is in the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 03:41 AM   #81
looking
Captain
Rep

Those people that say they don't notice a lag - what version of the software are you running?

If there's a noticeable difference - which was stated in other post - this really would have me worried and second guessing getting into the 135 - but then again, what's out there that's a whole lot better (in the price range)? Is it just me but I've noticed that there' nothing "special" out there right now....
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #82
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I didn't notice ANY lag on my 135i. It was built in May so it has the new computer. However, maybe things will change once I take the car to the dealership for the first time.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #83
HPADDICT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If this is true it really pisses me off. My car is ordered though so what can I do? Guess Dinan will be getting a call sooner then later
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #84
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
So dyno's to prove. We are talking a few seconds to get full power not amount of power.

Lag is a function of time.
I never said that full power was affected. I actually said the exact opposite. However, at those few moments while boost is building you have less power than you would if you didn't have to wait. I have no desire to try and convince you of this. If you don't mind lag in a car that has been advertised as lag-free, awesome. If you don't like the word "detune" to describe a change which lowers performance, awesome.

This thread exists because this problem, if real, makes this car less appealing and we'd like to find or at the very least be informed of a solution. Everything else is semantics and a complete waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #85
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^
I think "detuning" is BMW's solution - I really hope they don't leave it this way
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #86
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
I never said that full power was affected. I actually said the exact opposite. However, at those few moments while boost is building you have less power than you would if you didn't have to wait. I have no desire to try and convince you of this. If you don't mind lag in a car that has been advertised as lag-free, awesome. If you don't like the word "detune" to describe a change which lowers performance, awesome.

This thread exists because this problem, if real, makes this car less appealing and we'd like to find or at the very least be informed of a solution. Everything else is semantics and a complete waste of time.
Really??? The use of the word POWER twice confused me....

Quote:
This thread exist because N54 owners with a placebo effect are complaining without proof, while other owners say that nothing is going on. This is compounded by non owners wondering what is/isn't going on and asking questions about a potential issues with no proof.

So until there is PROOF (real dyno P R O O F), then the speculation only leads to more posts like this.

NOW...what BMW did/does advertise is really irrelevant until we know what we are dealing with.

If you want my theory: Since the issue is wastegate rattle, then the fix was to leave the gate open rather than closed. Now if there is lag (again NO PROOF) then it's the brief time that's the wastegate to close that is causing the potential issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #87
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

So far that I've also gathered that, people who have the new 29.2, don't notice any lag, and the majority of complaints is from people who have not recieved their car yet. If you really want to find out real quick, just test drive one at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #88
looking
Captain
Rep

Ya I think proof is the important part. Everything else is hearsay
Appreciate 0