BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #89
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Dunno about the car's 'adaptation' but I am certainly having a hard time adapting to the new software. I'm running JB3 v 2.0 mind you, and still the turbo lag is very pronounced. What's also telling is that my boost pressure best case scenario is around 13psi (Map 5, 93 Octane), only once did it hit 14.1 I would get 15psi easily prior to the software upload...

Time to call Terry for a custom tune...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #90
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by booth99 View Post
I sent this to BMW:

Subject: Technical Issues

Question / Request:

I am having a lose of engine power after a software update to resolve my fuel system problems which almost left me stranded in the middle of Wyoming. The car feels very sluggish compared to before the update. The dealer says everything is fine and will not do anything else. I am very frustrated with the whole situation and I am on the verge of ending my BMW experience. Please help! Thank you!

I got this as a response:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2010 BMW 135i. I was sorry to hear of your concerns.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced when having your vehicle serviced. Unfortunately, we are not able to advise via e-mail whether or not your BMW center diagnosed your vehicle correctly.

If you are questioning your center's diagnosis, you may want to consider seeking a second opinion from another BMW center. Should you need it, you will find a complete listing of authorized centers, categorized by name, state, or zip code, on our website at www.bmwusa.com/dealers.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

Ashley Paras
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

Thanks for the support BMW! The next closest BMW center is 150 miles away!
Sux big time!!!

Also, to make matters worse, these call centers are not even BMW, it is a 3rd party company outsourced to deal with complaints of customers. They have little to no knowledge of your car or particular issues it may have. Think of it as the company represented by George Clooney in the movie Up In the Air hired to terminate people. Unless you really complain and claw your way to someone higher up the food chain, you will get these polite and very generic e-mails...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #91
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

I need to look into it, but I think CCA members have someone who acts as a mediator for you between BMW NA.

Im due for my first service in a few weeks, and REALLY dont want the new update. 04/2009 bulid.

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled

Last edited by AntonV; 06-01-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #92
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I pretty much got a confirmation from my SA that they could have changed the mapping on the ECU and turbo boost with this new software, but no definitive proof of that according to the SA however she is going to ask. I guess it had to do with some of the HPFP issues they had so they felt they had to change the mapping of software and this in turn could effect performance. I'm fuming because this is not the car I purchased, twin turbo means twin turbo and I don't feel my car has the mid range or low end grunt it had prior to the update. CAN YOU SAY CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT, THIS IS NOT THE CAR I PURCHASED WHEN I LEFT THE DEALERSHIP. I'M SURE THIS WILL FALL ON DEF EARS....anyone have any recomendations?

06-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #93
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I might actually start a new thread on the following topic.
(Stock Dyno numbers)
Im bringing my car in for service tomorrow,
1 year std service as well as long cranks. I have a friend with a dyno, but couldnt make it over to see him before my appointment.
Does anyone out there have any Dyno numbers of our cars in Stock form? If so,..Please post
  • Year of car
  • if it includes the old or new software,
  • and model of dyno?
That way when I get my car back with this new "crapware" update, i can have it dyno'd and have some sort of baseline comparison.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #94
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
I might actually start a new thread on the following topic.
(Stock Dyno numbers)
Im bringing my car in for service tomorrow,
1 year std service as well as long cranks. I have a friend with a dyno, but couldnt make it over to see him before my appointment.
Does anyone out there have any Dyno numbers of our cars in Stock form? If so,..Please post
  • Year of car
  • if it includes the old or new software,
  • and model of dyno?
That way when I get my car back with this new "crapware" update, i can have it dyno'd and have some sort of baseline comparison.
Plenty of data available, but no good to you as there is huge variance across cars, dyno machines, conditions, etc.

The only meaningful comparo would be

Same Car
Same Dyno
Same Conditions (or close to it)
Dyno Pre-software
Dyno Post-software

I just need to find time to go back to my shop and can log some dyno pulls both on Map 0 and Map 5 now that I have the new crappy software. I have logged several runs at the same place, so can measure the delta attributable solely to the new BMW software. Even with JB3 the lag is horrendous, hoping Terry is gonna fix it for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #95
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep

Just did a search, and found a few people who had dyno'd their car on a mustang Dyno, and all were right around 260-262 HP & 270-275 ft/lbs torque.

Looks like the couple dynojet #'s I found are in the
276-280 HP range
280 Tq.

Might be good enough for a rough comparo.
If I get the car back, and it puts out 250 hp to the wheels,..I'll be pissed!
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #96
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
Just did a search, and found a few people who had dyno'd their car on a mustang Dyno, and all were right around 260-262 HP & 270-275 ft/lbs torque.

Looks like the couple dynojet #'s I found are in the
276-280 HP range
280 Tq.

Might be good enough for a rough comparo.
If I get the car back, and it puts out 250 hp to the wheels,..I'll be pissed!
Honestly, that is very irrelevant to your car.

I can take you to a dyno that will produce 300 whp, and another that will give you 240whp. Same day, same conditions. Did you lose 60whp going from one to the other?

Also, you are looking at peak numbers. If you hear what people complain mostly about, it is lag, not peak HP loss. It's how you get to the peak that is worrying...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #97
Hind
///Mmmm
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 135i

Garage List
Can the Tech's at bmw review the car's ecu of boost? If so, Next time I service my car (soon) I will ask what psi it should be at, then have them show me printed proof that it hasent changed with my new software. My car does feel maybe a little slower, def more lag. Its almost not as much fun to gun it anymore. Maybe I need juicebox now to get back to STOCK!!! BMW.... wtf you doing?
PDC Flickr YouTube
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #98
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post

Also, you are looking at peak numbers. If you hear what people complain mostly about, it is lag, not peak HP loss. It's how you get to the peak that is worrying...
This is my major concern.
Overall power has gotten a bit better, though I still think it's not what it used to be.
But, as you said, it's how the power develops that is the major concern.
Lag is more prominent now, especially at speed, mid rpm, and going WFO, there is distinct delay before power hits.
I'd gladly accept this if the tune gave higher torque nearer to red line, but it doesn't. Pull to red line doesn't feel any stronger.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #99
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep

Just left my car at the dealer for service.
Told my SA to have the tech take the car out prior to any software updates, and then after to see the difference.
Im sure this wont accomplish much if anything since its subjective, but figured its the best I can do without Dyno #'s.
Will post up when I get it back with results.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #100
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
This is my major concern.
Overall power has gotten a bit better, though I still think it's not what it used to be.
But, as you said, it's how the power develops that is the major concern.
Lag is more prominent now, especially at speed, mid rpm, and going WFO, there is distinct delay before power hits.
I'd gladly accept this if the tune gave higher torque nearer to red line, but it doesn't. Pull to red line doesn't feel any stronger.
Agreed. I am gonna be sending Terry some WOT 3rd gear pulls from 2K-7K RPMs, he will be able to tell enough about spool times, and hopefully adjust/compensate this crappy new software.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #101
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Will this new software update have any effect on those with the BMW Performance Upgrade? I'm curious if it's possible to spend thousands on the upgrade only to have it wiped out one day on a random maintenance visit when they decide to update the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #102
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep

Got the car back, and yep,..def feel about a full second lag when jumping on it in 2nd and 3rd.
Power doesn't feel quite as immediate.

Also,..I may be imagining this, but does anyone else think their exhaust got quieter after this?

Called my SA after driving the car home, he told me to call BMW customer relations and explain it to them. I do understand that the local guys hands are tied by BMW corporate, so I didnt rag on them. My dealers service dept actually seems pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #103
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Okay now I think you're all just feeding off each other and imagining things. :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #104
BimmerSchnitzel
J1V3.455.7URCK3Y
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
Okay now I think you're all just feeding off each other and imagining things. :-)
lol, ya I think the exhaust thing is in your head. The only four things that have been repeatedly noticed by people with this update are:
1) Increased engine operating temperature
2) Increased fuel economy
3) more aggressive fuel priming when car is awaken
4) more linear power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #105
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep

My car does seem to be running hotter.
Havent noticed the pump priming yet.
Been really mashing the throttle since I got it back so Im sure the fuel economy sucks right now. Will post up after Ive been driving it "normally" for a while.
Not sure I would call the power delivery "linear" , but it's not as brutal as it once was.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #106
InlineSix
TwinTurbo Top Hat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I noticed yesterday evening that now it indicats which tire is low on air pressure, before it was just a general alert and did not indicate which tire it was. I have a 2008.
      06-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #107
Taki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Got my new HPFP and software update, and drove the past couple days to let it calibrate. There is some more lag, but I don't think power is down overall. It certainly feels stronger than it did when I dropped it off with the dying fuel pump, but that's obviously not the best comparison.

I also have a BT tool so I can log some data if anyone needs some. I plan on installing my JB3 (at last) tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #108
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSchnitzel View Post
lol, ya I think the exhaust thing is in your head. The only four things that have been repeatedly noticed by people with this update are:
1) Increased engine operating temperature
2) Increased fuel economy
3) more aggressive fuel priming when car is awaken
4) more linear power delivery.
Partly correct.

Some, like me, have higher oil temps.
My mpg has remained about the same, seems a tad lower, but it could be that I'm hitting the throttle harder to test what's happening.
I do hear the pump priming earlier.

Overall power seems about the same, but it is not "more linear".
Most have reported that it's not, due to the added lag.
Power can be more linear and have more lag.

Certainly some of this is in peoples heads, because once someone clues you into something you tend to start paying more attention.

Here's an interesting thing to try. I'm curious about this too.
Tomorrow when you're out, take notice at how many blue cars you see.
You'll be surprised.
Report back on if you see more than you've noticed in the past.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #109
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSix View Post
I noticed yesterday evening that now it indicats which tire is low on air pressure, before it was just a general alert and did not indicate which tire it was. I have a 2008.
You have NAV?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #110
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
Got my new HPFP and software update, and drove the past couple days to let it calibrate. There is some more lag, but I don't think power is down overall. It certainly feels stronger than it did when I dropped it off with the dying fuel pump, but that's obviously not the best comparison.

I also have a BT tool so I can log some data if anyone needs some. I plan on installing my JB3 (at last) tomorrow.
If you have max stock boost pressures, then post what stock boost pressures are now, before you do the tune.
Also, post the max boost you got before the update and after.
Appreciate 0