BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2022, 02:08 AM   #1
elijdh
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Unhappy Blower Motor Stopped Working

Hi there!

I have a 2008 BMW 135i, my blower motor stopped working a while ago. I have been super busy and haven't looked into fixing it but I think it's time I do lol.

It was a spontaneous stop, it always worked then one day I started my car and the blower motor wouldn't work. It always worked effectively prior to this. How can I go about diagnosing whether I need to replace the actual blower motor or the blower motor control module/resistor?

I was just going to buy a new blower motor but I am now realizing this resistor part supposedly goes frequently. I'm familiar with the budging the fan to see if it starts to spin method, but if either part is gone isn't it possible that this still doesn't isolate the issue?

I also notice two separate blower motors that I can get for my car. One that is "with A/C", and one without. My car has A/C, so do I get the A/C one? Or does my car have two blower motors and it could be either one? I can't find much information on this car online and I am very new to the BMW platform.

Any tips or advice will be of great use!!

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:28 AM   #2
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
There was a recall for a blower motor wire harness problem. Was that fixed in your car?
      01-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #3
elijdh
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
There was a recall for a blower motor wire harness problem. Was that fixed in your car?
Yes, I got the recall done after the blower motor stopped working. I ended up taking out the blower, spinning it and it started working. Lubricated the spindle and so far no issues. Hopefully, this can hold up for the winter and I can look into replacing the blower later this year.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
stuart255
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp (F82)

My blower motor has stopped working on an E81 118d, M Sport.

What have I tried so far?…

1). Remove blower motor and replace it with a new one.
Nothing

2). Remove the resistor and replace it with a new one.
Nothing

3). Check all 3 fuses related to heating.
Nothing, they’re all fine.

3). Check the grounding wire
Seemed like no grounding. Ahh.

4). Grounded the grounding wire outside the car
Nothing.

5). Tried the new resistor and the new motor and assembled it all in the footwell…
When I turn the ignition the motor turns for about 2 seconds and then stops.

WTF is wrong with this thing?

6). Connected the battery to a charger and tried again.
Nothing.

I’m currently trickle charging the battery overnight, but I have no idea what to try next.

Any suggestions welcome.

THX
Appreciate 0