BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
AbaundvrM3
Serving the US in Germany
Germany
Rep
Drives: '08 Alpine White M3

Smile Test drove a 135i on Abaun today!

Well, a beautiful Sunday here in Germany today so I decided to finally take a 135i out for a test drive with the family. I must say...I need to buy one!! Why? Well, I just sold my '03 Mach 1 (turbocharged w/ 494 rwhp/578 rwtq) so I'm looking for a new toy and that oh so familar mid life crisis car:biggrin: (great reasons to me!).

The car was quite impressive, it may not be as brutally fast as my Mach 1, but it is so much more refined especially at 140+ mph on the Abaun. Quiet/stable at that rate of speed had me in awe, and the wife was surprised that we we're travelling at so fast! :wink: I also like the fact that the car handles wonderful yet in typical BMW fashion its not abusive much like my X5. So I may order one this week...or I may pick up an '08 for alittle better price. I do have a few questions though:

1) Was it me or did it seem that the power seats do not go as low as the manual adjustable seats?

2) Without the premiumm package does the car still have an auto dim rear view mirror?

3) I'm torn between the Automatic/Manual...at 38 yrs old I don't feel like shifting but I hate to give up performance too...I love my '08 GTI DSG tranny is the Steptronic as good?

Thanks for the help in advance...I love these 135s though, everyone that owns one I must applaud for a great choice in cars.:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Well now that you're 'addicted' it's all about which options to add. I can only help you with question 3 - IMO, the auto in the 135i is every bit as good as the DSG (in fact, I hope it's a whole lot more reliable. Audi dropped the DSG name in 09).
      10-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
AbaundvrM3
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Well now that you're 'addicted' it's all about which options to add. I can only help you with question 3 - IMO, the auto in the 135i is every bit as good as the DSG (in fact, I hope it's a whole lot more reliable. Audi dropped the DSG name in 09).

Ya know did notice a dead spot (as I'd call it) with my DSG at a stop sign if you hit it to pull out in traffic the car just kinda sits there and thinks about it for 2-3 sec...IMO not good!

Options I must have:
I -Pod
Comfort Access
Sport Package
Heated Seats
Parking Sensors
Hi-Fi Stereo
AC Schnitzer front/rear skirts/interior/tips
AC Schnitzer Springs (which I believe Eibach makes?)

Maybe:
Premium Pkg
Leather
Steptronic
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

In the US, as far as I know, the auto dim mirror only comes with the prem package. I have it....is it useful.....who knows?? I don't think its a must have....

As far as the seats.......I have the power seats.....but again, I don't think its a must have......manual seats are fine.

As far as auto vs manual.....I don't think this is an issue you want advice on. People are very opinionated on this issue (as am I). I would only have a manual in a little rocket car like a 1 series. I mean, the auto is great....but takes away from driving excitement.
But what really matters is what you think.....not me.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
all 3 packages, iDrive, - oh wait - see sig - that's the stuff to get (:

but, honest - its what makes you happy in the car while driving...
      10-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Get the manual or I bet you'll regret it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
MONTEGO_E82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335xi

Q1: auto dimm mirror does not come w/o premium package
Q2: the manual seats seem to be a bit more adjustable than power
and definitely not worth $1000.
Q3: Manual without a doubt!

I went w/o premium package and chose just the leather option. I hate the vinyl seats. I feel the sport package is a must have as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
AbaundvrM3
Germany
Rep

Thanks for the thoughts everyone...I know an auto dim mirror seems crazy, but thats something I like alot...lol. I really enjoy my GTI with the DSG which is why I'd consider the Steptronic...I've had 5 spd cars for so long I guess I'm getting lazy in my mid age.

I think Montego does have a great point about the seats being $1K...are they worth it...but a good point on the leather seats.

I appreciate all the assistance...we'll see what the dealer can do here for me and I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaunTTi View Post
...I've had 5 spd cars for so long I guess I'm getting lazy in my mid age..
I'm only a few years shy of your age, and personally I think you're way too young to give up on the manual transmission. You clearly still have a passion for driving, which is apparent from your initial post. So give the manual some serious thought... your inner child may thank you :biggrin:

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
AbaundvrM3
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS+1 View Post
I'm only a few years shy of your age, and personally I think you're way too young to give up on the manual transmission. You clearly still have a passion for driving, which is apparent from your initial post. So give the manual some serious thought... your inner child may thank you :biggrin:

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one for you.

Lol, well I appreciate those words...your right I am quite the car fanatic and performance cars are in my blood...that inner child does enjoy driving ALOT! I'm working with two dealers now on my perfect 135i, but it looks like I may have to order it to get exactly what I want.:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

I've driven this car with Manual and Auto. The manual is truly great to drive. But, like yourself, I was getting tired of shifting. I went with the auto, and I can honestly say... I'm 98% satisfied. The shifts are smooth and lightning fast. Yeah, every once in a while I would like the thrill of awesome shifts from 6th to 3rd, and a little heal toe-4th to 2nd. But the convenience and amazingly fast shifts makes it worth it. And you can still 4th into a turn and double tap yourself to 2nd for a tire screeching launch out of the turn.

Here's a link to my first trip down the shore with my new vert.
LINK

I can think you will be happy either way you go.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
will
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

"1) Was it me or did it seem that the power seats do not go as low as the manual adjustable seats?

2) Without the premiumm package does the car still have an auto dim rear view mirror?

3) I'm torn between the Automatic/Manual...at 38 yrs old I don't feel like shifting but I hate to give up performance too...I love my '08 GTI DSG tranny is the Steptronic as good?"

Well I will give you my 2 cents too.

1. to me the power seat are better my eclipse has passager side manual seats and i hate having to ajust them

2. At first I didn't have the premium package but glad i changed my mind the puddle lights are sweet and don't know how much longer you are in Germany but the euro car lights are killer and you know how they like to ride your bumper

3. Again at first i chose the auto and was glad i changed my mind on the germany roads you are not going to want the car deciding what gear you should be in. I changed to a manual because it is a sports coupe (SPORTS) Im 36 and loving every min.

P.S.

Sports seats are a must. Drive both the auto and manual several times.
6-Spd. Manual, Prem. Pkg. Sports Pkg.,
Cold Weather Pkg, Nav., Comfort Access,
PDC, Hi-Fi, iPod/USB adapter
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaunTTi View Post
1) Was it me or did it seem that the power seats do not go as low as the manual adjustable seats?

3) I'm torn between the Automatic/Manual...at 38 yrs old I don't feel like shifting but I hate to give up performance too...I love my '08 GTI DSG tranny is the Steptronic as good?
1) Power seats are heavier, too.
2) Not in the US. Cant you make more specific choices over there? I didn't think I would notice not having it, but I do.
3) Manual.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
Cooldaddygroove
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The manual seats allow you to adjust the height LOWER than the electric seats.
The Steptronic is as good as the VW GTI. I know because I tested bothe vehicles back to back.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
AbaundvrM3
Germany
Rep

I'm in Germany for 4 more years (which kinda sucks because you get 2 yrs warantee) but that's why I'd like to have an Abaun burner...the GTI goes 130 and cuts out BS! I did find a car in the area and it has these options:

Sports
Black Leather
Power Seats
Comfort Access
Hi Fi Stereo
Cold Weather Pkg
White

$37,370 tax free...and I can mostlikely get another 1-2% off for repeat buyer.

I really want to take the auto out since a few of you say it shifts so well...on the dragstrip I think the car could be consistant and the drivetrain may hold up better because I like power shifting at the track. I appreciate the thoughts and comments!
Appreciate 0