BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
blackberryq10android
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009 Convertible

Hi,

Do we as 128iers have an option to read through the menu of our car the tire pressure in psi for any tire at any given time or since we don't have a 135i, we have no choice but to wait for the tpms to warn us of a low tire? I'd rather be more proactive and check the tire pressure before the warning appears. I do have digital psi reader but it is annoying to manually check the tires. Also I don't want a cheap add on tpms system that ruins the valves of the tires or breaks in car washes
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 08:57 PM   #2
odiford
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT MSport

TPMS doesn't actually monitor pressure, it monitors rotational speed. Flat tire = smaller diameter = higher relative speed, this triggers the system. So, to answer your question, you cannot actively monitor pressure using our cars' TPMS, and we don't have any other means built in.

See here for details.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 10:20 PM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

There are two different systems. The Flat Tire monitoring system measures the rotational speed and determines low pressure in a tire by this method.

There is also a Tire Pressure Monitoring system, with transducers in the wheel that measures the tire pressure and sends it to a receiver.

Depending where the car was purchased, your car might have one or the other. In Canada, we were equipped with Flat Tire monitoring. USA requires Tire Pressure Montoring, so these cars were so equipped.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 05:22 AM   #4
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberryq10android View Post
Hi,

Do we as 128iers have an option to read through the menu of our car the tire pressure in psi for any tire at any given time or since we don't have a 135i, we have no choice but to wait for the tpms to warn us of a low tire? I'd rather be more proactive and check the tire pressure before the warning appears. I do have digital psi reader but it is annoying to manually check the tires. Also I don't want a cheap add on tpms system that ruins the valves of the tires or breaks in car washes
If you have TPMS the answer is no when you are in your car. I believe u can with carly or INSTA.