BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

ugh i think my alignment is off...

When driving straight on the highway, the steering wheel has to be turned ~5-10 degrees to the right to keep the car straight.

About a week or two ago, on a particularly cold day, while backing up & turning at the same time... I heard a dull pop/thud sound from the front suspension/steering components... almost sounded like I ran over something.

I just ignored it and continued on my way... perhaps its related to the steering wheel being misaligned

Bringing the car to the dealer is such a PITA
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Sounds like an alignment, but have them check it out first. They have to find the root of the problem.

My car has the same noise, but only when I'm backing out of my driveway (nowhere else) which as a very slight incline to it. Just a popping sound like a ran over something. very strange, but my car runs fine alignment wise. I know it one of those things that I can't bring a BMW tech to my house to show him so I ignore it.
      01-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpower View Post
Sounds like an alignment, but have them check it out first. They have to find the root of the problem.

My car has the same noise, but only when I'm backing out of my driveway (nowhere else) which as a very slight incline to it. Just a popping sound like a ran over something. very strange, but my car runs fine alignment wise. I know it one of those things that I can't bring a BMW tech to my house to show him so I ignore it.

Hah, exactly how I feel.

Does your car have Active Steering?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

It does, but I have no complaints about it. Do you think the noise is coming from that?
      01-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpower View Post
It does, but I have no complaints about it. Do you think the noise is coming from that?
not sure, but interesting that we've both heard popping while backing up + turning at the same time, and both our cars have AS
Appreciate 0