BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #111
bNks334
Major
bNks334's Avatar
335
Rep
1,016
Posts

Drives: '11 135i (N55)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
I do all of my N54/N55 dyno tuning out of Portland Speed Industry (PSI) because they are local to me. Most of my tuning is done in Mexico as my focus is driveability.

I won't go into great detail regarding our collaboration as that has no bearing here.

Comments regarding DCT tuning is past history as we had issues tuning with COBB which included post shift bog and clutch slip. I'm not seeing the same issues with MHD that we had with COBB. It also helps that I have my own DCT car to tune on now. You can't really see shift bog within the logs. Something I should point out is the fact that we didn't see the same issues with MT and AT cars.

Not sure what you're referring to by making the statement that no one has cracked a 200 load ceiling. I have personally ran a 214.6 peak load with my stock turbo and was able to demand a boost target well above 22 psi.

The PS2 poses a few challenges with fueling, which is no secret. I have port injection going on my car in the next two weeks. That will eliminate the fueling issues and allow for the increase of boost. I'll post up a new thread once I have something to share.

Thanks for the great questions which I appreciated. Hopefully I answered most everything. We are all here for the same reason.
So, your dct N55 with ps2 is a personal use vehicle? You don't have a shop? You're tuning it by driving it down to Mexico from Portland, OR? You're just using trial and error on an open road in Mexico until the logs look good? You're not using a dyno to find the points of diminishing returns in regard to timing and boost? What about tuning vanos? Just clarifying...

Back to cobb... all those issues you were having providing custom cobb tunes was done using Cobbs ATR "race logic" software? "Wedge performance" held a valid license as a registered cobb vendor?

Not sure why you mentioned pushing 200+ load and 22+psi on a stock turbo when I was referencing PS2. It would certainly help support your case that you're personally capable of doing the tuning for PS2 if you could post up that [non-existent] log... Hopefully port injection gets you over the current hump! You should be cracking some N55 records once you get that PI hooked up!

Last edited by bNks334; 11-21-2016 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #112
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
52
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: N55 135i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Napa, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
So, your dct N55 with ps2 is a personal use vehicle? You don't have a shop? You're tuning it by driving it down to Mexico from Portland, OR? You're just using trial an error on an open road in Mexico until the logs look good? You're not using a dyno to find the points of diminishing returns in regard to timing and boost? Just clarifying...

Not sure why you mentioned pushing 200+ load and 22+psi on a stock turbo when I was referencing PS2. It would certainly help support your case that you're personally capable of doing the tuning for PS2 if you could post up that [non-existent] log... Hopefully port injection gets you over the current hump! You should be cracking some N55 records once you get that PI hooked up!
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #113
bNks334
Major
bNks334's Avatar
335
Rep
1,016
Posts

Drives: '11 135i (N55)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYA View Post
How is asking legitimate questions of a "tuner" trolling? He went out of his way to come into another vendors thread to call people "fanboys" and boast about he collaborates with twisted tuning. Last I checked name calling is a forum violation.

If supporting an actual registered business that has its own shop and dyno to properly tune a car with is being a fanboy then yepp you got me... I'd rather think of it as trying to be an informed customer though...

Last edited by bNks334; 11-21-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #114
houtan
Colonel
houtan's Avatar
403
Rep
2,222
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Who said you need a dyno to properly tune a car? In fact, I'm glad he is tuning the car by driving it, so we know it actually works while driving, not sitting on a dyno. A car running well on the dyno does not always mean it will run good on the street.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone9069.00
VRG_135785.50

      11-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #115
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9069
Rep
22,890
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Lets all play "nice" here guys.
__________________
Appreciate 4
Yeineken1136.00
MHD Tuning1597.50
houtan402.50

      11-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #116
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
117
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 135i 2011
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (3)

Pretty sure Justin is tuning some of these cars on the road as he doesnt have a N55 either, where as Wedge actually went out and bought one to R&D.

This is actually nothing new as tuning and virtual dynos have been around for a while. Not everyone will have access to a dyno. The whole purpose of a dyno is to see delta from map to map after a tuner changes the variables from what he or she sees from datalogs, which you can do if you use the same road in Mexico.

He will do his tuning on the road, and then goto PSI to iron things out.

Again this is nothing new in the tuning world.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #117
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
117
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 135i 2011
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Who said you need a dyno to properly tune a car? In fact, I'm glad he is tuning the car by driving it, so we know it actually works while driving, not sitting on a dyno. A car running well on the dyno does not always mean it will run good on the street.
This statement is true too
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #118
Twisted Tuning
Major
Twisted Tuning's Avatar
941
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

One should never ONLY tune a car on a dyno.
Appreciate 4
      11-21-2016, 09:10 PM   #119
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
117
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 135i 2011
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
So, your dct N55 with ps2 is a personal use vehicle? You don't have a shop? You're tuning it by driving it down to Mexico from Portland, OR? You're just using trial and error on an open road in Mexico until the logs look good? You're not using a dyno to find the points of diminishing returns in regard to timing and boost? What about tuning vanos? Just clarifying...

Back to cobb... all those issues you were having providing custom cobb tunes was done using Cobbs ATR "race logic" software? "Wedge performance" held a valid license as a registered cobb vendor?

Not sure why you mentioned pushing 200+ load and 22+psi on a stock turbo when I was referencing PS2. It would certainly help support your case that you're personally capable of doing the tuning for PS2 if you could post up that [non-existent] log... Hopefully port injection gets you over the current hump! You should be cracking some N55 records once you get that PI hooked up!
You realize that the ATR PRO license costs over 5k a year right? Why would anyone who tunes only two platforms (N54 N55) want to invest that much in a tuning platform that has hardly any support, vs. one that has constant updates and a majority of his business comes from MHD.

Judging someone because they choose not to use Cobb, which is a shitty platform for the BMW is asinine. Last I checked Jake from MOTIV isnt Cobb certified either.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #120
Twisted Tuning
Major
Twisted Tuning's Avatar
941
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_BMW_PNW View Post
You realize that the ATR PRO license costs over 5k a year right? Why would anyone who tunes only two platforms (N54 N55) want to invest that much in a tuning platform that has hardly any support, vs. one that has constant updates and a majority of his business comes from MHD.

Judging someone because they choose not to use Cobb, which is a shitty platform for the BMW is asinine. Last I checked Jake from MOTIV isnt Cobb certified either.
bolded statement not true.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #121
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
117
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 135i 2011
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@MHD View Post
bolded statement not true.
When they removed ATR, and replaced ATR pro on their site, I added it to the basket (thinking it was the same at the time) and it came up with a 5k bill to pay

Now they revamped to where you have to pay $150 to take some course, but I think it only applies to one AP at a time, not a global one like PRO
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #122
Twisted Tuning
Major
Twisted Tuning's Avatar
941
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_BMW_PNW View Post
When they removed ATR, and replaced ATR pro on their site, I added it to the basket (thinking it was the same at the time) and it came up with a 5k bill to pay

Now they revamped to where you have to pay $150 to take some course, but I think it only applies to one AP at a time, not a global one like PRO
I don't recall me ever needing to pay 5k. But never went through the site though. As I deal with them directly as an authorized protuner. But yeah. It doesn't matter here. Lol
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #123
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
117
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 135i 2011
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (3)

I am sure there are tiers to their pricing model 5k, if you want it outright, and it is lower and lower when you meet certain requirements etc
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #124
MHD Tuning
Major
MHD Tuning's Avatar
Germany
1598
Rep
1,203
Posts

Drives: M3F80#M5F90#340iF31#SupraA90
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPOWER View Post
The Cobb AP tuning guide was meager at best but it was something.

Honestly though that's partly where Cobb failed and utterly abandoned their customers. They refused to organize or even endorse a tuning forum of any kind for customers to self-help each other, they refused to answer any tuning questions from customers, and they purposefully crippled the product so paying customers had to pay even more to get help for maps (from tuners) that they the customer were ultimately unable to even see.



So far you've righted a number of those wrongs and for that the community is very grateful (or at least I am ). Anything further you can do to help us is just that much better.
The wrongly named WGDC base is in fact "Compressor characteristic with required compressor / turbine power".
Maybe we should simply create a thread (preferably on e90post / n55) dedicated to N55 tuning?
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #125
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
117
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 135i 2011
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD Tuning View Post
The wrongly named WGDC base is in fact "Compressor characteristic with required compressor / turbine power".
Maybe we should simply create a thread (preferably on e90post / n55) dedicated to N55 tuning?
Yeah, I agree, it is more active, and still exactly the same engine
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #126
bNks334
Major
bNks334's Avatar
335
Rep
1,016
Posts

Drives: '11 135i (N55)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD Tuning View Post
The wrongly named WGDC base is in fact "Compressor characteristic with required compressor / turbine power".
Maybe we should simply create a thread (preferably on e90post / n55) dedicated to N55 tuning?
Can you create a guide on how to get a proper log? Also, maybe what to look for (like BMS provides)? Maybe create a warning when loading up the beta version of MHD to reiterate the importance of logging? This might encourage more people to purchase the monitor module and share info here as well if you link to an official feedback thread or something...

I've been trying to compare my numbers to others and nothing is comparable. 7 speed DCT users seem to all be using 3rd gear which isn't comparable to a 3rd gear 6speed pull. Shouldn't they be logging in 5th? Most physical dyno pulls are done in 4th for a manual and 5th for a dct car? I cant find anyone running stage 2+ seeing over 300/400. Somehow my car shows a very strong 355/435 in VD?

Also, just about every log posted shows a boost leak lol. Literally over half the logs I've tried to compare show hardware issues :/

I'd vote for a thread on E90 post since it's more active, but I received a 10 day forum violation there and 4 months later an admin still hasn't logged in to restore my account privileges... A new forum altogether would be my vote lol

Last edited by bNks334; 11-23-2016 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #127
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
117
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 135i 2011
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
Can you create a guide on how to get a proper log? Also, maybe what to look for (like BMS provides)? Maybe create a warning when loading up the beta version of MHD to reiterate the importance of logging? This might encourage more people to purchase the monitor module and share info here as well if you link to an official feedback thread or something...

I've been trying to compare my numbers to others and nothing is comparable. 7 speed DCT users seem to all be using 3rd gear which isn't comparable to a 3rd gear 6speed pull. Shouldn't they be logging in 5th? Most physical dyno pulls are done in 4th for a manual and 5th for a dct car? I cant find anyone running stage 2+ seeing over 300/400. Somehow my car shows a very strong 355/435 in VD?

Also, just about every log posted shows a boost leak lol. Literally over half the logs I've tried to compare show hardware issues :/

I'd vote for a thread on E90 post since it's more active, but I received a 10 day forum violation there and 4 months later an admin still hasn't logged in to restore my account privileges... A new forum altogether would be my vote lol
3rd gear, 2500~ rpms to 6800 WOT, if you have auto log on it will automatically start and stop
If you have a long enough road to do a 4th gear pull then do it
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #128
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
52
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: N55 135i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Napa, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_BMW_PNW View Post
3rd gear, 2500~ rpms to 6800 WOT, if you have auto log on it will automatically start and stop
If you have a long enough road to do a 4th gear pull then do it
4th gear pull? How deep into the triple digits are you gonna be? Be safe out there guys/gals. It's the holidays. Don't be irresponsible on public roads please.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone9069.00

      11-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #129
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
117
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 135i 2011
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYA View Post
4th gear pull? How deep into the triple digits are you gonna be? Be safe out there guys/gals. It's the holidays. Don't be irresponsible on public roads please.
Not much further than if you did 3rd into 4th and held it for a few seconds.

I would expect someone to do this on a road with like, no cars on them, I dont feel the need to do a disclaimer on not doing anything stupid, going 3rd wot to redline you are at like 90+
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #130
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
52
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: N55 135i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Napa, CA

iTrader: (0)

I hear ya, I just felt like someone should remind people, despite the election and everything, not to be stupid.
Appreciate 1
Esteban4128.50

      11-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #131
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
117
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 135i 2011
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PNW

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYA View Post
I hear ya, I just felt like someone should remind people, despite the election and everything, not to be stupid.
If they were dumb before the election, they will still be dumb post election regardless of who won
No switch is flipped lol
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #132
bNks334
Major
bNks334's Avatar
335
Rep
1,016
Posts

Drives: '11 135i (N55)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYA View Post
I hear ya, I just felt like someone should remind people, despite the election and everything, not to be stupid.
Yeah 4th gear at 6300 rpms is like 125mph. You need to be safe first priority, but it's also important to get meaningful data....

Why tune for 360+whp if you don't have access to a means to at least get a 4th gear pull

I was just throwing the idea out there because of the quality of logs people are posting and the general lack of guides stickied here on the forums

Last edited by bNks334; 11-23-2016 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ecu, jb4, mhd, n55, tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST