BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #67
EatMyDust
Recovering Audiphile
EatMyDust's Avatar
2
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i; 2007 X3; 2001 A4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Hey! Look who's back on radar and approaching the Panama Canal!
Anchored just outside the pearly gates.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #68
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Well what the hell is it doing out there?! Get in there! Go! Git!

Bonus points though to anyone who can grab some screenshots as it goes through the locks in the Panama Canal, assuming it ever actually goes through.

Please Toreador, break on through to the other side! The Pacific will be even bluer than it was in your dreams.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #69
EatMyDust
Recovering Audiphile
EatMyDust's Avatar
2
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i; 2007 X3; 2001 A4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

If this info from globalsecurity.com is right, probably means transit is not until tomorrow ...

There are many different parts of the Panama Canal that all work together. There are three locks in the Panama Canal, Gatun, Pedro Miguel, and Miraflores. A ship entering the Canal from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean enters at Gatun Locks and exits at Miraflores Locks. While going through the Panama Canal, the ship will be raised and lowered eighty-five feet. After going through Gatun Lake and Gaillard Cut, the ship enters Pedro Miguel Locks and is lowered 31 feet. After Pedro Miguel Locks, one mile later it enters Miraflores Locks to be lowered the remaining 54 feet to the Pacific Ocean. The locks are 110 feet wide, 1,000 feet long, and seven stories high. Each time a ship goes through (a lockage), 52 million gallons of water are used. There are three lock chambers in every lock station. It usually takes a whole day (8 or 10 hours) to transit the canal from one ocean to the other.

A ship from the Atlantic Ocean enters the Panama Canal waters of Limon Bay from the breakwater at Cristobal. Upon arrival in Panama Canal waters, if a vessel is not scheduled to transit that day, it will drop anchor and wait for its scheduled transit time. Otherwise, the vessel will sail toward the first lock. The Panama pilots take control of the vessel during its transit through Panama Canal waters. The chief pilot will instruct the ship's captain as to the speed and direction of the vessel. The chief pilot also will tell the tug operators, line-handlers, and locomotive engineers what assistance they need to provide, while the pilot remains in contact with the Panama Canal TCC and each lock tower. The captain relays the pilot's instructions to his crew members, who perform the proper maneuver.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #70
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyDust View Post
If this info from globalsecurity.com is right, probably means transit is not until tomorrow ...

There are many different parts of the Panama Canal that all work together. There are three locks in the Panama Canal, Gatun, Pedro Miguel, and Miraflores. A ship entering the Canal from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean enters at Gatun Locks and exits at Miraflores Locks. While going through the Panama Canal, the ship will be raised and lowered eighty-five feet. After going through Gatun Lake and Gaillard Cut, the ship enters Pedro Miguel Locks and is lowered 31 feet. After Pedro Miguel Locks, one mile later it enters Miraflores Locks to be lowered the remaining 54 feet to the Pacific Ocean. The locks are 110 feet wide, 1,000 feet long, and seven stories high. Each time a ship goes through (a lockage), 52 million gallons of water are used. There are three lock chambers in every lock station. It usually takes a whole day (8 or 10 hours) to transit the canal from one ocean to the other.

A ship from the Atlantic Ocean enters the Panama Canal waters of Limon Bay from the breakwater at Cristobal. Upon arrival in Panama Canal waters, if a vessel is not scheduled to transit that day, it will drop anchor and wait for its scheduled transit time. Otherwise, the vessel will sail toward the first lock. The Panama pilots take control of the vessel during its transit through Panama Canal waters. The chief pilot will instruct the ship's captain as to the speed and direction of the vessel. The chief pilot also will tell the tug operators, line-handlers, and locomotive engineers what assistance they need to provide, while the pilot remains in contact with the Panama Canal TCC and each lock tower. The captain relays the pilot's instructions to his crew members, who perform the proper maneuver.
Interesting. W&W on their updated schedule as of yesterday was showing arrival at Panama Canal of April 9, and departure of April 10, so that may be right and they may not push ships through when it's dark out.

Sadly, since I seem to be having issues finalizing a sale on my current car, every extra day I get may be a blessing at this point. Sorry!

This will have to hold us over in the meantime:

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #71
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Update - just looked on the W&W website and the schedule has adjusted again and tacked on another day.

It's showing now that it will "arive" at Panama Canal 4/10 and depart on 4/10 and now arrival at Port Hueneme a day later too on 4/19.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #72
EatMyDust
Recovering Audiphile
EatMyDust's Avatar
2
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i; 2007 X3; 2001 A4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
... and now arrival at Port Hueneme a day later too on 4/19.
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd .... there go my plans for breaking her in on a drive down Hwy 1 to Santa Barbara on the 25th. Probably a good thing, because I might have trouble following the break in restrictions on that drive, especially if the Good Sam RVers are out in force.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #73
simianspeedster
Captain
42
Rep
627
Posts

Drives: 2016 435i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Please Toreador, break on through to the other side! The Pacific will be even bluer than it was in your dreams.
It has finally happened. Greg has lost his mind. In his thirst for the all holy 1, he is now jumbling together Doors and Shawshank quotes. Pity those of us whose ships are a week behind as a great sickness clearly lies ahead...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #74
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
It has finally happened. Greg has lost his mind. In his thirst for the all holy 1, he is now jumbling together Doors and Shawshank quotes. Pity those of us whose ships are a week behind as a great sickness clearly lies ahead...
Good catch as I purposefully combined the two which go together like peas and carrots.

The new rule is I only speak in movie lines and with an accent until my car arrives, since I'm driving a Hyundai Accent.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #75
simianspeedster
Captain
42
Rep
627
Posts

Drives: 2016 435i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Good catch as I purposefully combined the two which go together like peas and carrots.

The new rule is I only speak in movie lines and with an accent until my car arrives, since I'm driving a Hyundai Accent.
And now you're going to Gump us? Really?!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #76
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Unfortunately, I'm the cruise's entertainment director here on the Toreador. Be glad you got on the next boat.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #77
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Interesting...it moved, and is now anchored right inside the Panama Canal. Inching closer...

I wonder though, based on where it is, is it possible it is unloading cars there?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #78
EatMyDust
Recovering Audiphile
EatMyDust's Avatar
2
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i; 2007 X3; 2001 A4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I wonder though, based on where it is, is it possible it is unloading cars there?
No, just a beer run since we drank them dry last night in the casino.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #79
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Hmm, I don't remember that last night...so it MUST be true!

Dos cervezas por favor.

Good thing we're not going into the Colon Container Terminal on a field trip.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #80
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Ummmm, ever gonna move Toreador? Any day now...and bring my stainless steel pedals with you will ya?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #81
EatMyDust
Recovering Audiphile
EatMyDust's Avatar
2
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i; 2007 X3; 2001 A4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Still stuck at port ... I got tired of waiting and went up to the bridge to talk to the Captain. Apparently the crew went out on the beer run but drunk all the cerveza before they got back to the boat, and got shanghaied by another ship. So now the Captain is out looking for a new crew ... and more beer. I was able to nick the Cap's whiskey when he wasn't looking, so feel free to meet me at the stern and we can knock it down while we watch all the other cars, er boats, sail on up the canal.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #82
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Interesting. The W&W site now shows it as red and thus seemingly having left port, but the live tracker still shows it anchored there, but did just change the destination to Port Hueneme via PC!

Must be getting underway any minute now and I actually think it did either drop off some cars or pick up some containers/equipment there as the W&W site lists a separate voyage on the Toreador leaving from Manzanillo, Panama with today's date.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #83
EatMyDust
Recovering Audiphile
EatMyDust's Avatar
2
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i; 2007 X3; 2001 A4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
The W&W site now shows it as red and thus seemingly having left port.
My guess is that is because the clock struck midnight in Germany and the computer just assumed it had left since 10/04/2013 has come and gone ...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #84
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Ya, still sitting there. I'm attempting to use my telekinetic powers to make it push off and move...squinting real hard and staring at it, but alas, I currently seem unable to move it. Probably cause it's so heavy with all y'all's cars!

It's okay, every day it sits is another day I get to enjoy my rental Hyundai Accent, which I've ironically named, The Silver Bullet.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #85
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Aaaaand we're finally underway! Heading through the canal now. I will miss the Colon Container Terminal.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #86
EatMyDust
Recovering Audiphile
EatMyDust's Avatar
2
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i; 2007 X3; 2001 A4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Lol looks like its back where it started anchored outside the pearly gates again. Probably going through tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #87
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
gregthegr8's Avatar
179
Rep
3,503
Posts

Drives: Cars Usually
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (5)

Son of a bitch! When I saw it head that direction I was like, what are you doing?! DOn't you dare anchor out there!

Do they not go through the Panama Canal at night?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #88
Kouper
Lieutenant
Kouper's Avatar
United_States
94
Rep
573
Posts

Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Damn! I heard now that the Toreador has been recalled by the manufacturer and has to return to Germany. We know it is not for "unintended acceleration"! Something about a bad EGR valve that won't allow it to clear CA emissions standards and dock at Port Hueneme....
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST