BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Does anybody know if BMW maintenance changes oil but NOT the filter?

Been to the dealer recently for a regular oil change. Turns out that I am out of the 4yr period where they are free, so I ended up cancelling it midway (SA let me know too late that and they already started working on the car) as I did not have means to pay at that time.

So short story is they already changed the oil (for free) but the SA said (over the phone when they called me a few hrs after) that they did not change the filter. Is this a ploy to get me to go back and end up paying for the free oil change that I was not supposed to get or is that the SOP in BMW dealers, change oil but NOT the filter.

Thanks for any input guys! I was just planning to change the filter myself if the filter is old then. Should be easy with the right tools.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Its NOT SOP to change oil and not filter. Strongly suggest you learn and do your own oil changes esp if money is tight. DIY is $40-45 whereas dealer is likely over $100.
You could get away with leaving old filter in there until next change. Its best to have the proper tool to remove the metal cover for the oil filter.
For a DD 2 oil changes a year are good (spring & fall) unless you put on a lot of miles then maybe 3 a year.
Appreciate 0