BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
romnation
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Is this condensation or scratching or what is up with my headlights?

This is only really visible when its dark outside and the headlights are on.

Each one of my headlights has two rings of what appears to be scratching or maybe condensation inside the lights.

View post on imgur.com

I can feel the scratching on the outside of the light but I'm not sure if this is what is causing the ring effect. Or is it possibly just a reflection? Also I just had the car detailed. Is it possible these are buff marks? Anyone have any tips on how I can make lights clear again?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Based on the images shown in your link, that appears to be what I would call "pitting". The marks, which are most easily visible when lit by the headlight as you have shown, are created from front end impacts while driving... basically just tons of very very tiny chips taken out of the surface of the headlight. This is not uncommon, especially on vehicles that have seen a good amount of use.

If the damage is relatively minor, a good headlight restoration process will likely help to improve the overall clarity of the lens.

While the defects shown in your photos are not oxidation like this article mentions, the restoration process is still the same.

Restore Your Heavily Oxidized Headlights by Kevin George

Hope that helps.

-Zach McGovern
DI Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
My headlights are showing exactly the same symptoms.

More often than not they appear clear & healthy, but view them at just the right angle with the lights on and the scratches seem like they should be primary.

I'm hesitant to do any serious polishing to the exterior without a plan ready to replace the UV coating. I've already done the simple polish cleaning on my previous cars, and have no desire to clean every six months because of removing the factory UV coating.

Watching this thread because I'm not sure yet just what I'm going to do....
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
oneBIGtoe
Private First Class
Rep

Have same issue. Will perform resto this winter and see how it goes.
      12-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
Russiandl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 135i

I have the same issue on my passenger headlight. The previous owner tried messing around with aftermarket bulbs and didn't seal the back cover spring which created an moisture film on the inner leans. only thing that might help is silica bags. Let it sit for as long as possible over the weekend if you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
romnation
Private
Rep

So today I did a full restoration using a kit with sanding and my headlights look exactly the same!

Is the damage maybe on the inside? I don't know what options I have besides replacing both entire lighting assemblies, which is very expensive. I have noticed it does seem like condensation gets inside of the light after washing the car. Wondering if this is related or not. Any advice where to go from here?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #7
Wrex90
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Check this link out, works mint https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...bmw-520-a.html
Appreciate 0