BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #111
poody
Rep
Drives: 09 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraq View Post
Alpine,

You are correct in that the steering wheel and seats will probably come from the M3. It seems only the leather and covering is different from most sport packaged BMW's anyway. This is my next question. I know on the M3 forum the bottom of the seats have been discussed many times before.

SCOTT, since the 1M is intended for a younger audience, I think it would be safe to assume that they are less wide in general. Is it possible to get the seat bottoms like the rest of the world, not the fat american version. Alpine, your seat bottoms are far superior than the American version in my opinion.

J.
Yes please. USDM seats need more side bolstering. Not all Americans are fatasses. And a faux leather with Alcantara material would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #112
Joraq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Poody,

I know how you feel. I too know the difference in JDM and NA spec sti seats. Fortunately, BMW power seats have inflatable side cusions that you can adjust. The lower portion however is different between NA specs and UK/EU etc. If you look at alpines pic and my old 135's seat bottom, you will see the difference. Seemingly only the tops and headrests differ in the M3 when comparing them to 135/335 sport seats.

J.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #113
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

1M should come with this and call it a day. Exsting part bin. Looks great. Functional.

Sure it's manual but bmw already put the hammer down chose 6 spd only. Why not make the decision consistent throughout the car. Minimalist, simple, and affordable.

Choices: Interior and exterior color.

No Nav Option.
No fabric option (just those sports seat)
Optional rear seats (credit for removal)

Default BT/Apple Connection
Default Sports steering
Default CF interior trim.

There's a market for this GTS/CSL like version. Don't be greedy and offer this after 1M release and mark it up another 20-30k. Be true to motorsports passion the company is based from.

Last edited by Robert; 10-22-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #114
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Why would you remove the rear seats

Isn't the big selling point on the BMW 1M that it has rear seats. If you don't need rears, buy an M Coupe, or a Cayman
      10-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #115
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Why would you remove the rear seats

Isn't the big selling point on the BMW 1M that it has rear seats. If you don't need rears, buy an M Coupe, or a Cayman
Same reason people take out rear seat in M3 and replace it with a roll cage. Thought they wanted a rear seat, got into tracking the car, and want less weight and cage in place for safety.
      10-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #116
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Same reason people take out rear seat in M3 and replace it with a roll cage.
BMW offer that as an option on the M3 do they?
      10-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #117
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
1M should come with this and call it a day. Exsting part bin. Looks great. Functional.

Sure it's manual but bmw already put the hammer down chose 6 spd only. Why not make the decision consistent throughout the car. Minimalist, simple, and affordable.

No Nav Option.

Default Sports steering

There's a market for this GTS/CSL like version. Don't be greedy and offer this after 1M release and mark it up another 20-30k. Be true to motorsports passion the company is based from.

Is there a current BMW that comes with these seats standard, or one that has these seats as an option?

BTW, I LOVE these seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #118
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Is there a current BMW that comes with these seats standard, or one that has these seats as an option?

BTW, I LOVE these seats.
You can order these seats thru a German BMW dealer, as a Perfomance option. They are kind of pricey though. I think like $3K for the pair. Also I think for the US cars you need to deactivate the side seat air bags. Thats why its not for sale here in the states. I remember seeing some buy in the states putting them into his e92 M3 though. ???
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #119
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You can order these seats thru a German BMW dealer, as a Perfomance option. They are kind of pricey though. I think like $3K for the pair. Also I think for the US cars you need to deactivate the side seat air bags. Thats why its not for sale here in the states. I remember seeing some buy in the states putting them into his e92 M3 though. ???
Why do you need to disable the side airbag?
If that's the case some comparable Recarro's would look as nice and be more cost effective.

While having non-bmw seats may not be the coolest, having seats like that is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #120
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Why do you need to disable the side airbag?If that's the case some comparable Recarro's would look as nice and be more cost effective.

While having non-bmw seats may not be the coolest, having seats like that is worth it.
Because the airbag is in the seats right? And these Recaro seats do not have SRS.

Did you see this? Here is a guy selling the electronics to mount/defeat the SRS for the Perf seats.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434805
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #121
Sdracing
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:

No Nav Option.

Default Sports steering
Agree.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #122
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Because the airbag is in the seats right? And these Recaro seats do not have SRS.

Did you see this? Here is a guy selling the electronics to mount/defeat the SRS for the Perf seats.

I thought that big side piece behind the side lip was the side air bag.

I don't remember the Recarro's having those, but they may and I just didn't notice.

If that's the case then I see what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #123
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
So basically the answer is NO.

Bummer.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #124
poody
Rep
Drives: 09 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraq View Post
Poody,

I know how you feel. I too know the difference in JDM and NA spec sti seats. Fortunately, BMW power seats have inflatable side cusions that you can adjust. The lower portion however is different between NA specs and UK/EU etc. If you look at alpines pic and my old 135's seat bottom, you will see the difference. Seemingly only the tops and headrests differ in the M3 when comparing them to 135/335 sport seats.

J.
I hate my STI seats, they're like park benches that do not really hold you in when you attack a turn. I hope, BMW gives up sportier seats then the 125/135i. Like i mentioned, i'm not a ran of the head rest risers, i rather have the integral seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoraqRobert

No Nav Option.

Default Sports steering
I completely agree. I dont want NAV, my google phone with navigation and google maps is far superior then anything BMW can come up with. Although I'd prefer collapsable rear seats that can detach just because I have a dog. That's all I ask. I'm already excited that bmw choose a 6spd manual instead of DCT. However the Seats are of the utmost importance, and they need to get it right the 2nd time.

Quote:
One more thing, i always never understood why that shit is with the recaro's overseas and not having SRS available. If EVO's can have Recaro's with SRS airbags then why can't these these seats. And this problem is not bmw specific. STI recaro's in Japan have the same problem. I got a feeling it's more of a legal issue.

Last edited by poody; 10-23-2010 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #125
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I really dislike the shifter setup in the M3. I would much rather have the one we have in our 135i M sport. It looks sturdy and substantial. The M3 shifter looks tall, skinny, and frail.
Yeh I agree, but the ///M logo and gear numbers light up, which looks pretty cool at night time

Funny but when I had a 135i I changed the knob and bag and put the BMW Sport alcantara knob and bag on.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #126
treehacker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

On the Performance Seat (which is Recaro also) ist a SRS! I saw then, and there is a Box witch the label "airbag" ;-)
The only thing is.. that you cannot adjust height after it was installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #127
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

While the SRS will mount to the side of the seat, and can be something BMW might like to maybe offer, but still may never meet North America safety requirements.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #128
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The BMW Performance seats do have Side airbags (The black side mounted containers as seen in the picture), but they do not have the electronics to work in the American cars. Hence the need for the kit you mentioned.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...e_EARES_09.pdf
Page 6.

Doesn't make much sense to me to have two different aigbag functional standards between US and EU. But hey ..... why would you? Just for the sake of ease? =(
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #129
vmendezzapata
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X3

I cannot wait for this car =)!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #130
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmendezzapata View Post
I cannot wait for this car =)!
x2 it's about time the m3 went on a diet
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #131
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
The BMW Performance seats do have Side airbags (The black side mounted containers as seen in the picture), but they do not have the electronics to work in the American cars. Hence the need for the kit you mentioned.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...e_EARES_09.pdf
Page 6.

Doesn't make much sense to me to have two different aigbag functional standards between US and EU. But hey ..... why would you? Just for the sake of ease? =(
I seem to remember that the reason why the standards are different is bc in the US they test the airbags deploying without the "dummies" wearing seat belts. And in Europe they "test" with the dummies using seats belts!

yea... I know... its one more reason why things in the US standards are messed up! So the US cars get a "fast deployment" while the euro cars get a "slow deployment or inflation" of the air bags.

For US cars have a "fast deloyment" is one reason why small people and kids were being killed in small low speed accidents while being seated in the front seats of the cars. So the US solution was to add seat sensors to prevent airbag deployments in those low speed accidents. lol

Its kind of like the TPMS stuff. We have different lawas regarding the warning light. We have a different specs for TPMS than the rest of the world does.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #132
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I seem to remember that the reason why the standards are different is bc in the US they test the airbags deploying without the "dummies" wearing seat belts. And in Europe they "test" with the dummies using seats belts!

yea... I know... its one more reason why things in the US standards are messed up! So the US cars get a "fast deployment" while the euro cars get a "slow deployment or inflation" of the air bags.

For US cars have a "fast deloyment" is one reason why small people and kids were being killed in small low speed accidents while being seated in the front seats of the cars. So the US solution was to add seat sensors to prevent airbag deployments in those low speed accidents. lol

Its kind of like the TPMS stuff. We have different lawas regarding the warning light. We have a different specs for TPMS than the rest of the world does.
Prime example of complexity for no reason causing waste. One standard here would save everyone money.

This must be expensive for the Car Manu's to maintain two standards. (Different parts, extra crash testing etc.)

Just Silly IMHO.

And an inconvenience! I want those seats!
Appreciate 0