BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

12-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Thumbs up Safety is a Matter of Life and Death!

How many of you use your daytime running lights? I do, because I want to be seen on the road.

I have extremely good driving habits developed over many years of driving plus a couple of stints at driving schools. My first wife had a habit of wrecking our cars. In fact, she manged to re-shape her 1970 BMW 2002 to look like an accordian hence her trip and mine to a defensive driving school.

Yesterday the driver or a big Toyota van whose rear end was even with my front bumper whipped over in front of me. He had a handicap tag and gave a signal, but I would have liked to have given him an additional handicap in the nose!

So on the way home another moron turned in front me to enter a driveway of some business. This jerk also has a handicap sticker hanging from the rear view mirror, and I could see he wasn't even looking in my direction when he turned! Maybe the sticker blocked his view?

The only accident I have had over several decades of driving is being tapped in the rear end by some women. I haven't been lucky. I've developed the habit of scanning ahead and behind realizing what the other driver may do is unpredictable.

My wake up call happened in my teens when a group of friends and myself came across a serious accident one night with victims of the accident screaming in agony and body parts all over the road. Over the years most of my friends were knocked off in accidents. One was even decapitated by going through a windshield! A good reason to use a seat belt.

My fear has grown exponentially over time as I see all the bozos on cell phones, and I wonder who is driving the car? I even encountered an idiot reading a book at the wheel driving down the freeway.

Oh da horror!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

I hear ya. I saw someone get over without a signal. As I passed her, I looked in and lo-and-behold she couldn't signal because she was holding her phone in her left hand while driving.
      12-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Was on the interstate down near Syracuse. Some squid on his bike at about 80 mph TEXTING!!!!!

Where is Darwin when you need him?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
decaturdad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3, 07 e90, 2012 135i RIP

My son just took the BMW teen driving class last month. Last night, he was driving down a local 4 lane (Two each direction), when an SUV changed lanes right at his bumper. Fortunately, he has fast reactions and knew what to do. It would not have been serious, but it would have been an accident. The other driver never even realized what had happened.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Oh, we also have a group of moto cross guys who like to pull wheelies for miles at a time down the highway at 75mph... That will eventually end badly for them.
      12-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Hard to really earn the Darwin Award nowadays, modern medicine has cursed us with idiots.
      12-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #7
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSG View Post
Over the years most of my friends were knocked off in accidents.(
Jeez, yet another reason not to move to Cleveland

For real, though, this statement has to be hyperbole. How many of your friends have died in accidents?!? I've known a total of 0 people who have died in car accidents.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 01:59 AM   #8
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

Yesterday the driver or a big Toyota van whose rear end was even with my front bumper
That's right in someone's blind spot. If possible I'd get out of that position as quickly as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 05:05 AM   #9
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I watched "From One Second to the Next" last week on Netfilx. A powerful documentary with interviews of people that caused deadly accidents while texting. It should be mandatory for those ticketed for texting while driving to watch it.
On a two lane highway with a relative closing speed of 130+ MPH I hope the other driver is paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

My biggest pet peeve is people on the road texting and driving, or even holding the phone to their head for that matter. My sister hit a parked car in our old subdivision at 3am, guess who the only person in the house with car knowledge got woken up to go rescue her.

Any time I see someone on their phone, I want to lay on the horn next to their window until they get off.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
That's right in someone's blind spot. If possible I'd get out of that position as quickly as possible.
If your mirrors are adjusted properly, there are no blindspots.

Helpful tip: If you can see the side of your car in your side mirrors, they are WAYYY off.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I was a victim of an idiot on her cell phone. I was driving my car to the dealership to get warranty work done. I was approaching an intersection which the light was red at the time. As I closed, the light turn green. The first car at the intersection started to move through the intersection. Seconds later, I see this car now drifting across the double yellow coming straight at me. I waited about a second or so to see if this idiot realizes she was drifting into oncoming traffic. Nope. She continues drifting into my lane. I start to swerve to the right but couldn't go too much over as there were huge snow banks blocking any escape route. Just as I was preparing for the bang, I can see clearly into her car and the idiot had her nose pointed down staring at her cell phone. That's how close we were. I was on the horn the entire time as I was swerving. She looks up about a half second before we hit and tries to jerk her car to her right. We contact head on. The impact rips her front bumper cover off and it goes flying a few feet in front of her car. She crunches the left corner of my car damaging the hood, left fender, left wheel, lower control arm, and strut. The fender was pushed back far enough where I couldn't get out of the car normally and had to climb out the passenger side. I was so pissed I didn't even say a word to her. The cops responded and cited her.

Yesterday, I was driving down a multilane road and another idiot woman just decides to change lanes without looking. I see her veer over and I hit my brakes and lay on the horn. She still keeps coming. Pissed, I change lanes over to the lane she had been speed up and stare at her. Of course, her beak was still pointed forward and didn't even acknowledge she almost hit me.

Man I hate idiot drivers and getting a license in this country is just way too easy. I feel many of my close calls were avoided due to my years of riding a motorcycle on the street. Had many close calls while on my bike too. And I also did some years of being an EMT and drove my squad's ambulance. Talk about more clueless idiots that do stupid things when you're running down the street with lights and sirens going.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
How many of you use your daytime running lights? I do, because I want to be seen on the road.

I have extremely good driving habits developed over many years of driving plus a couple of stints at driving schools. My first wife had a habit of wrecking our cars. In fact, she manged to re-shape her 1970 BMW 2002 to look like an accordian hence her trip and mine to a defensive driving school.

Yesterday the driver or a big Toyota van whose rear end was even with my front bumper whipped over in front of me. He had a handicap tag and gave a signal, but I would have liked to have given him an additional handicap in the nose!

So on the way home another moron turned in front me to enter a driveway of some business. This jerk also has a handicap sticker hanging from the rear view mirror, and I could see he wasn't even looking in my direction when he turned! Maybe the sticker blocked his view?

The only accident I have had over several decades of driving is being tapped in the rear end by some women. I haven't been lucky. I've developed the habit of scanning ahead and behind realizing what the other driver may do is unpredictable.

My wake up call happened in my teens when a group of friends and myself came across a serious accident one night with victims of the accident screaming in agony and body parts all over the road. Over the years most of my friends were knocked off in accidents. One was even decapitated by going through a windshield! A good reason to use a seat belt.

My fear has grown exponentially over time as I see all the bozos on cell phones, and I wonder who is driving the car? I even encountered an idiot reading a book at the wheel driving down the freeway.

Oh da horror!

Imagine how it feels seeing this while riding a motorcycle. I ensure i make my feelings known to all of those shit heads who put everybody else's lives in danger.
      12-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
I cant stand cars that have bumper stickers saying look out for motorcycles. I also hate motorcycle riders cause they drive like asshole and shouldn't be on a highway.
Oh yeah? What gives you the right to use the road and not me on my bike?
I get 50MPG on my bike and it allows me to use the HOV lane for traffic. Plus it's SUBSTANTIALLY more fun than any car, and my 400cc dirtbike is faster 0-60 than a 135i

I'm a respectful rider, Don't you dare lump me with the squids on streetbikes waiting to be a death ticket.

For the record, i'm not condoning motorcyclists doing crazy illegal speeds(even though you all do it in your car and are complete hypocrits), and i don't cut cars off, tailgate, etc. My bike only does 85 WOT on the dirt wheels and about 100 on the supermoto wheels anyway.

Sorry, i get annoyed when people have irrational hatred of something they don't understand.

Last edited by 631twentyeighteye; 12-12-2014 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
I cant stand cars that have bumper stickers saying look out for motorcycles. I also hate motorcycle riders cause they drive like asshole and shouldn't be on a highway.
No problem buddy. Just keep to the right with the rest of the slower traffic, and us motorcycle riders won't cause you any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
For the record, i'm not condoning motorcyclists doing crazy illegal speeds(even though you all do it in your car and are complete hypocrits), and i don't cut cars off, tailgate, etc....

Sorry, i get annoyed when people have irrational hatred of something they don't understand.
Bingo.

One more thing, while the squids deserve what they get, 99% of the time they are only harming themselves (and of course, their loved ones who have to pick up the pieces). It's REALLLLY hard to kill other people riding in cars with a motorcycle, that's why our liability insurance is very inexpensive. Unfortunately, this isn't true the other way around.

If you really want to know who drives like what and how piss poor MOST car drivers are, just ask a motorcyclist. Instead of burying our heads in that cheeseburger, reading, putting on make-up using the rear view mirror, or steering with our knees while texting, we on motorcycles spend all our time watching YOU.

Last edited by Bill B.; 12-12-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #16
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
No problem buddy. Just keep to the right with the rest of the slower traffic, and us motorcycle riders won't cause you any problems.

Bingo.

One more thing, while the squids deserve what they get, 99% of the time they are only harming themselves (and of course, their loved ones who have to pick up the pieces). It's REALLLLY hard to kill other people riding in cars with a motorcycle, that's why our liability insurance is very inexpensive. Unfortunately, this isn't true the other way around.

If you really want to know who drives like what and how piss poor MOST car drivers are, just ask a motorcyclist. Instead of burying our heads in that cheeseburger, reading, putting on make-up using the rear view mirror, or steering with our knees while texting, we on motorcycles spend all our time watching YOU.
LOl ok. For the record I am talking about morons riding in between lanes swerving like jerk offs
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Spoken like a typical jerk who has no idea about what it is to be a motorcyclist. A motorcyclists has the proper skills to drive any car. The same can't be said about dimwit cagers being able to operate a motorcycle.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #18
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
LOl ok. For the record I am talking about morons riding in between lanes swerving like jerk offs
Well, I didn't get that sentiment from your initial post of:

" I also hate motorcycle riders cause they drive like asshole and shouldn't be on a highway."

What you meant to say then is:

"I also hate squids cause they drive like asshole and shouldn't be on a highway."

That's the proper technical parlance.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Well, I didn't get that sentiment from your initial post of:

" I also hate motorcycle riders cause they drive like asshole and shouldn't be on a highway."

What you meant to say then is:

"I also hate squids cause they drive like asshole and shouldn't be on a highway."

That's the proper technical parlance.

Yeah I should have been more clear. I just didn't except DMX and the rough riders to get upset. lol
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #20
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Most bikers drive at reasonable if not more carefully, then there's that remaining 5-10% of squids who think the roads are their playground and that a supersport bike means they should ride fast everywhere. I agree, I just let them weed themselves out.

Riding a motorcycle was an eye opening experience at just how dangerous the roads can be.

Crashing my m roadster was also another eye opener of high reflex sports cars and bad weather don't mix.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #21
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Regarding bikes, I mainly see old fat guys with scraggly beards on Harleys. Occasionally a guy on a sport bike.

I used to ride, but I gave it up in my early twenties. Even back then, I saw riding as a very dangerous activity.

Unfortunately, around here in the early spring we have numerous bike accidents and most are fatal.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #22
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did I say I'd try to harm you or your bike on the road? show some respect man..
Respect is earned and you haven't earned it based on your moronic comments. And no you didn't say you'd try to harm myself or any other riders. But I've experienced plenty of self righteous drivers out there that think the world evolves around them on the road where they have some self imposed police authority with the same mentality and view you do for all motorcyclists. It doesn't take much to set people with view points like you off where they're using their cage as a 2 ton weapon.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread