Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookieshk View Post

So just to confirm....its possible to add the tilting and power folding if I DO NOT have the power seats yea?

Because it's sometimes hard to relay statements on forums as facts: Please use the attached German price list that shows on pages 10 and 11 that although option 313 (AuBenSpiegelPaket = folding mirrors with tilting = BordSteinAutomatik) must be included with 459, the reverse is not true.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1012 Preisliste_BMW_1er_M_Coupe_Mai_2011.pdf (656.4 KB, 451 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #25
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
+1. Power folding and tilting has nothing to do with power/memory seats, they are just packed together. In a lot of places you can order and have a manual seat with mirror package. My car is one of them with manual seats, heated and also power lumbar support, plus mirror package which includes not only tilting and folding but also auto chrome inside and outside mirrors. So, everything is possible as long as you talk with the right people like eeghie mentioned before.
Indeed, my 135i is optioned with manual seats, but with power folding autodim mirrors.

However, IIRC, the reverse tilt function needs a memory module of some description, which if you have power mem seats is already fitted...hence easier to retro-fit the power fold mirrors.
If you have manual seats, you don't have a factory fitted mem module, and I was told, it was very complicated and expensive to fit all the gubbins for the power fold mirrors as a result.
Not impossible, just you have to throw a lot more cash at it.
      05-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #26
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Indeed, my 135i is optioned with manual seats, but with power folding autodim mirrors.

However, IIRC, the reverse tilt function needs a memory module of some description, which if you have power mem seats is already fitted...hence easier to retro-fit the power fold mirrors.
If you have manual seats, you don't have a factory fitted mem module, and I was told, it was very complicated and expensive to fit all the gubbins for the power fold mirrors as a result.
Not impossible, just you have to throw a lot more cash at it.
Wrong on the 'memory module', it's the xFRM (Foot Rest Module). Regardless of options, all off our cars have it and it hosts the relevant coding parameters for mirror behavior. Check the attached DIY (for a '08 E88 convertible) done by user TTMAX over at the BMW coding dot com website. The extra complexity is mostly in the wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DIY_Retrofit_Folding_Mirrors_E88.pdf (333.3 KB, 5715 views)
Appreciate 1
ayao634.50
      05-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #27
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Wrong on the 'memory module', it's the xFRM (Foot Rest Module). Regardless of options, all off our cars have it and it hosts the relevant coding parameters for mirror behavior. Check the attached DIY (for a '08 E88 convertible) done by user TTMAX over at the BMW coding dot com website. The extra complexity is mostly in the wiring.

Was only only going by what I was told by a 'so-called' expert, when I was trying to find a used 135 with the right combination of options, which I couldn't so ended up buying new, when BMW said they wouldn't build the 1M with DCT.
      05-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:

Was only only going by what I was told by a 'so-called' expert, when I was trying to find a used 135 with the right combination of options, which I couldn't so ended up buying new, when BMW said they wouldn't build the 1M with DCT.

Too many 'so-called experts' in this world.

The 1M option list in various countries certainly left many of us wanting, ... . Good to find several decent retrofit & mod threads on here.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:47 AM   #29
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: AW BMW E82 1M

eeghie is my EXPERT on this matter and he's been nothing but helpful!!! thanks so much!!!

on a diff note - i just quoted from the KW dealer in hong kong that it would take 4 weeks to get the DDC shipped to Hong Kong
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #30
Turbo Power
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

When my car went in for it's running in service I asked the dealer to code the wing mirrors in so that when the car is locked and the button is held down then the mirrors should fold in.
I was told that this request was not available on my car

Can anyone confirm if this is the case or are my local dealers talking out of their back side.
      05-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #31
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

does anyone have a good recommendation to where I can buy the parts mentioned by eeghie?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #32
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookieshk View Post
does anyone have a good recommendation to where I can buy the parts mentioned by eeghie?
start with the parts department at your dealer. Also have them double-check if all the part a suitable for your RHD (be warry of answers like "Absolutely NOT or Can'T be done", which means they don't know ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #33
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

lol i will def do that sir!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #34
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Too many 'so-called experts' in this world.
He is a BMW Master Tech at a main dealer, so assumed he had a vague idea he knew what he was talking about.....
      05-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #35
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
He is a BMW Master Tech at a main dealer, so assumed he had a vague idea he knew what he was talking about.....
Maybe his father or uncle owns the dealer
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #36
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Maybe his father or uncle owns the dealer
Nope...... the dealer chain is owned by a well known (in the UK) ex-racing driver
      05-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #37
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar7274 View Post
When my car went in for it's running in service I asked the dealer to code the wing mirrors in so that when the car is locked and the button is held down then the mirrors should fold in.
I was told that this request was not available on my car

Can anyone confirm if this is the case or are my local dealers talking out of their back side.
Assuming you have all mirror folding hardware installed and mean locking by FOB: ask anybody with coding hardware and experience to set the NFRM parameter ASP_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP = aktive.

To keep in mind, non stock parameter settings may not survive later software upgrades by the dealer (but can be repeated afterwards). If you pay someone, ask upfront for FOC or discounted repeats.
Appreciate 1
ayao634.50
      05-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #38
Turbo Power
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Assuming you have all mirror folding hardware installed and mean locking by FOB: ask anybody with coding hardware and experience to set the NFRM parameter ASP_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP = aktive.

To keep in mind, non stock parameter settings may not survive later software upgrades by the dealer (but can be repeated afterwards). If you pay someone, ask upfront for FOC or discounted repeats.
Thank you for your reply
      04-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #39
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

I did this successfully without the driver side window switch panel (extra button). Lots of guides say you need this switch, you don't, just the power folding motors in the mirror housings.

With proper coding, you can have them fold sans switch, even with comfort access.

Be sure to check if you have the three pin connection (LIN Bus) on your existing setup. This makes the install much easier.

I went from manual folding with heat and driver seat memory to the same setup with power fold and auto dimming outside mirrors. I changed the glass to the tinted blue EU concave style with just heat as my windows are tinted. The glass has the same four pin connector as the auto dimming glass. Two of the four wires for the auto dim just go directly to the heating elements In the glass. Everything looks great and functions perfectly.

Hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 02:10 AM   #40
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
I did this successfully without the driver side window switch panel (extra button). Lots of guides say you need this switch, you don't, just the power folding motors in the mirror housings.

With proper coding, you can have them fold sans switch, even with comfort access.

Be sure to check if you have the three pin connection (LIN Bus) on your existing setup. This makes the install much easier.

I went from manual folding with heat and driver seat memory to the same setup with power fold and auto dimming outside mirrors. I changed the glass to the tinted blue EU concave style with just heat as my windows are tinted. The glass has the same four pin connector for the LIN Bus as the auto dimming glass. Two of the four wires for the auto dim just go directly to the heating elements In the glass. Everything looks great and functions perfectly.

Hope this helps someone.
Interesting, was the coding equal to regular LIN bus mirrors or different (how) because of the switch panel without power folding button? Which part number is the tinted blue EU concave style?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #41
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For the coding, the NFRM module had to be reset and the option codes in the VO had to be added. I didn't code it myself so I'm not 100% on the exact steps but I do remember my coder guy was looking for some type of "komfort Klappen" line of some sort that needed to be active.

Basically the DIY pdf coding steps are correct but you may need to reset that module in order for the car to recognize the new hardware.

The glass was bought off eBay, not a genuine part but very impressive. Look for the version that is designed for auto dim with heat. There are two styles of the blue euro glass (dim/heat and heat). With dim/heat you will loose auto dim. I didn't want auto dim functioning so this was perfect for me.

The only thing that you'll need to do is bend the heat/dim pins (carefully) inward on the back of the glass and away from the plastic connection clips that snap to the circular mourning point on the mirror motors. They stick out too far from the factory and can get in the way of the glass movement.

I'm still getting used to the concave glass, but they are very nice looking and definitely increase blind spot visibility.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #42
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here's the eBay details
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #43
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
... the concave glass, but they are very nice looking and definitely increase blind spot visibility.
Also switched to concave mirrors for this reason
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #44
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
dandandan Is there anyway to remove the power folding motor (red circle) from the mounting housing (blue circle)?

I really want to re-use my housing as its in new condition, but stuggling to find out if I can physically separate the two without breaking anything!

Thanks for any input!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0