BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
Anomaly135i
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Oh no...some more suspension questions

After reading and reading ....and reading lots of threads. I really couldn't find the answers I was looking for in regards to upgrading the suspension on my 135i M-sport (n54). I know it's a matter of oppinion and all that but I don't want to track it (just some spirited driving perhaps), I don't want to drop it to the floor, and I really like the ride height the M-sport offers. I have been leaning towards the bilstein B8's, but with what springs? Keep the the m-sport springs? Don't the dampers and springs have to be matched ? I would really like to upgrade the springs as well whilst keeping the M-sport ride height , any suggestions ? Don't want to go with a average coil over, Does the B12 pro kit lower the car too much ?

Any help and ideas appreciated in advance

*please don't crucify me if i posted this in the wrong spot
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

B12 i found slammed the front, was ok initially then the front springs kept sagging. The springs themselves were barely stiffer than stock. Rear springs had ok height.

Imo youre better off getting the Bilstein B14 coilover or ST X or KW V1 as they are all coilovers around the $1k mark. These coilovers allow you to adjust the height to something sensible. Get some prices from the Demontweeks uk website. Unlike JDM coilovers, coilovers for these e8x/e9x cars still have spring rates aimed for comfort so its not like you've be sacrificing any ride quality.
      03-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Look at KW V2 coilovers as they have adjustable damping with springs that are not as low as most other options. As far as I know the Bilstien coilovers only offer adjustability to go lower (ie more slammed), and don't allow the car to be set anywhere near stock M-sport height.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Why are you upgrading... what are your goals for the car? Better handling big? Ride height?
      03-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #5
Anomaly135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Why are you upgrading... what are your goals for the car? Better handling big? Ride height?
I want it to handle a bit better, feel like there is a bit too much body roll sometimes. I am replacing the rear subframe bushing with the M3/1M bushings as well. Just want it a bit tighter, but I don't want it slammed either. I've been hearing a good matched damper and spring is better then a coil over , is that true ? How are the KWV2 for daily driving ? Is a kidney belt required ? Obviously the good thing about the coilovers is you can adjust the ride height exacltly were you want it, right ?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
Anomaly135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
B12 i found slammed the front, was ok initially then the front springs kept sagging. The springs themselves were barely stiffer than stock. Rear springs had ok height.

Imo youre better off getting the Bilstein B14 coilover or ST X or KW V1 as they are all coilovers around the $1k mark. These coilovers allow you to adjust the height to something sensible. Get some prices from the Demontweeks uk website. Unlike JDM coilovers, coilovers for these e8x/e9x cars still have spring rates aimed for comfort so its not like you've be sacrificing any ride quality.
I was looking at the KWV1 and B14 as well , just not sure about the ride, ie too harsh ? And how much of an improvemnt are they over the M-sport suspension ?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
Anomaly135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Look at KW V2 coilovers as they have adjustable damping with springs that are not as low as most other options. As far as I know the Bilstien coilovers only offer adjustability to go lower (ie more slammed), and don't allow the car to be set anywhere near stock M-sport height.
KWv1 or KWv2 seem to get the thumbs up from most people, I'm starting to head in that direction now. The option of choosing the ride height is hard to ignore
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:13 AM   #8
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly135i View Post
I was looking at the KWV1 and B14 as well , just not sure about the ride, ie too harsh ? And how much of an improvemnt are they over the M-sport suspension ?
The ride is fine, better than the msport suspension since youre not constantly riding on the bump stops like the stock suspension.

I have KW V2s on my car and theyre still soft enough for daily driving and offer much better performance than the stock suspension. They are still a bit too soft for track use or very agressive street driving but for 90% of people they are great. I previously had Bilstein B12s and regretted them. The V2s is what I should have put on in the beginning.

If you want to save some money, have a look at ST X which is the same as KW V1 except the shock body is galvanised instead of stainless. ST is a brand of KW.
      03-10-2018, 02:38 AM   #9
Anomaly135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
The ride is fine, better than the msport suspension since youre not constantly riding on the bump stops like the stock suspension.

I have KW V2s on my car and theyre still soft enough for daily driving and offer much better performance than the stock suspension. They are still a bit too soft for track use or very agressive street driving but for 90% of people they are great. I previously had Bilstein B12s and regretted them. The V2s is what I should have put on in the beginning.

If you want to save some money, have a look at ST X which is the same as KW V1 except the shock body is galvanised instead of stainless. ST is a brand of KW.
Ok great , I guess that cancels out the b12 kit. KwV2 might be the wy to go. Do you think the KWv3 would be the best option for aggresive street driving then ? or are they a bit to harsh for DD ?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 04:06 AM   #10
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

For street driving you will generally have relatively soft damping, so you are unlikely to get any benefit from dual adjustable dampers. The dual adjustable dampers will make the tuning process more complicated and difficult to evaluate, so personally I don't see the point (unless it is for trackday use).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
Anomaly135i
Rep

Quote:
For street driving you will generally have relatively soft damping, so you are unlikely to get any benefit from dual adjustable dampers. The dual adjustable dampers will make the tuning process more complicated and difficult to evaluate, so personally I don't see the point (unless it is for trackday use).
V2 it is then .Would it be worth DIY ? Or too tricky ? You dont't need spacers or anything like that right ?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #12
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Agreed, dual adjustable dampers just complicate things particularly for street use where you're not chasing that last 1% of performance.

Rear subframe bushes tighten things up a fair bit on their own (I'm running nolathane full replacement bushes - no complaints ).

ST XTA look like a good kit, drawback being they add in adjustable camber tops which will bring with it additional harshness. They do give you adjustable front camber though - you need to ask yourself how often do you see yourself needing this?

For street use these cars respond really well to having around -2deg of camber up front with minimal impact on tyre wear (assuming toe is set correctly) - dinan non-adjustable camber plates with front m3 control arms will get you there.

KW V2 is probably the way to go for a street car. V2s would really benefit from a e92 front sway bar as the front springs are still quite soft. Koni yellows also work quite well with stock springs, very comfortable but not the greatest for performance driving.

Stay away from spring and shock setups they're all crap (well all the ones I've seen anyway).

I'd recommend:

KW - V2
Dinan camber plates
Monroe rear shock mounts

Can be added later:
e92 M3 front sway bar
M3 rear guide rods
M3 front control arms
15mm Msport convertible rear sway bar
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
Anomaly135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
Agreed, dual adjustable dampers just complicate things particularly for street use where you're not chasing that last 1% of performance.

Rear subframe bushes tighten things up a fair bit on their own (I'm running nolathane full replacement bushes - no complaints ).

ST XTA look like a good kit, drawback being they add in adjustable camber tops which will bring with it additional harshness. They do give you adjustable front camber though - you need to ask yourself how often do you see yourself needing this?

For street use these cars respond really well to having around -2deg of camber up front with minimal impact on tyre wear (assuming toe is set correctly) - dinan non-adjustable camber plates with front m3 control arms will get you there.

KW V2 is probably the way to go for a street car. V2s would really benefit from a e92 front sway bar as the front springs are still quite soft. Koni yellows also work quite well with stock springs, very comfortable but not the greatest for performance driving.

Stay away from spring and shock setups they're all crap (well all the ones I've seen anyway).

I'd recommend:

KW - V2
Dinan camber plates
Monroe rear shock mounts

Can be added later:
e92 M3 front sway bar
M3 rear guide rods
M3 front control arms
15mm Msport convertible rear sway bar

Know where to get the Dinan and Monroe rear shock mounts for a good price ?
Appreciate 0