BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #67
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Conversion

That looks great, but too much $$$ for me right now!

I like this one...

http://usih.merchantrunglobal.com/Im...m=ImageSummary

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #68
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensto View Post
That looks great, but too much $$$ for me right now!

I like this one...

http://usih.merchantrunglobal.com/Im...m=ImageSummary
IF the picture is what it actually looks like, looks good.
      02-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #69
dacunha17
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Need some help and advice looking to purchase a 1m rep bumper for my 135i and suck between 3 choices [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

03-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #70
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

I'd definitely get the one with the air ducts instead, way more aggressive IMO
Upgrade+129.50
      03-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #71
mister_wagon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY 2012 135i Dinan stage 2 so

First one for sure, but what is it made off?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #72
ProjektMayhem
MPOSTER
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_wagon View Post
First one for sure, but what is it made off?
Just to chime in here because I installed the ECS "kit" about a week ago after sending it off for paint, and I ran into the same issue of - particularly with ECS - which option to choose. I ended up ordering that first one (w/ ducts instead of fogs).

To make a long background story short (a long dark comedy of crappy non-ECS vendor errors) I ordered the ECS kit without really looking at it. After paint, the wife and I set about installing it using many of the 1M bumper threads on this site for reference. We knew something was amiss when we ran into fitment issues almost immediately, and finally put the stock 135 bumper up against the new 1M bumper for comparison. Same width. Good. Same height? Not so good (might be good for others however).

Basically, the ECS kit is a direct replacement for the stock bumper. Same upper mount points, same wheel well fitment, same belly trim screws. The only way that's possible is if the bumper is the same height, and the way that's accomplished is to remove some of the "height" from the mouth and duct openings. We did a side-by-side comparison shot of the ECS duct kit photo and the ECS fog kit photo, and it became really obvious. That's my fault when I ordered. Just to be clear, my issue isn't with ECS.

I'm not at all dissatisfied with the outcome, and I think it's a lot better than the stock 135 bumper. It's not the exact look that I was expecting, as it's not quite as aggressive as the 1M fog kit that most folks seem to start with. For that reason, if I had to do it over again, I'd likely have bought the fog kit and cut the fog brackets out myself for the ducts.

But if you're looking to avoid fitment issues in regards to the wheel well gap or belly pan screws, the ECS duct kit might be for you.

Excuse some of the cleanliness; can't really have her detailed for a couple of weeks yet due to the bumper paint:

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #73
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep

So the air duct kit fits better, but the fog light kit doesn't fit as well but looks better?
      05-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #74
ProjektMayhem
MPOSTER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN.BIMMER View Post
So the air duct kit fits better, but the fog light kit doesn't fit as well but looks better?
I suppose it’s a matter of personal taste. The short answer is “yes”.

The longer answer is that - aside from the height/fitment differences - if you take a look at the contours of the two types you’ll notice subtleties in how the bumper sweeps in from the fenders just beneath the bottom edge of the headlights. The traditional 1M bumper has a harder line, and somewhat forms a “shelf” (for lack of a better word) that carries all the way across. Versus the duct kit that I bought, which blends the smooth curvature from the fender gradually until you get that hard edge beneath the kidney grills. In order to support the more pronounced bottom half of the bumper (1M aero ducts), this means that the kit that I bought also has two points that jut out just a little which gives support to the proportions and aesthetics of those ducts. Basically, it seems that they took a 135 bumper, chopped the bottom off, pasted the bottom of a 1M bumper in its place, and then tweaked the proportions of the ducts until the fitment was the same.

It’s impossible to see this in the ECS product photos, but you can see what I mean in the after images of my car from my last post. Hopefully I explained it well enough. If not I can circle what I’m talking about after I get home from work.

You could split the decision into:
- Fitment/as close to 135 stock as possible is more important to you, you’ll be happy with the kit that I bought.
- True 1M styling is more important and the slight 1” gap between bottom of the bumper and belly pan/wheel well isn’t a big deal, you’re best served by the fog light kit. Dremel off the fog light brackets, and use stock 1M ducts (or leave the fogs).

Both give a similar appearance and “feel,” but the subtle differences are where you’ll likely decide. There’s an argument to be made either way, and there’s really no wrong answer.
Appreciate 2
Afam28296.50
      05-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #75
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektMayhem View Post
I suppose it’s a matter of personal taste. The short answer is “yes”.

The longer answer is that - aside from the height/fitment differences - if you take a look at the contours of the two types you’ll notice subtleties in how the bumper sweeps in from the fenders just beneath the bottom edge of the headlights. The traditional 1M bumper has a harder line, and somewhat forms a “shelf” (for lack of a better word) that carries all the way across. Versus the duct kit that I bought, which blends the smooth curvature from the fender gradually until you get that hard edge beneath the kidney grills. In order to support the more pronounced bottom half of the bumper (1M aero ducts), this means that the kit that I bought also has two points that jut out just a little which gives support to the proportions and aesthetics of those ducts. Basically, it seems that they took a 135 bumper, chopped the bottom off, pasted the bottom of a 1M bumper in its place, and then tweaked the proportions of the ducts until the fitment was the same.

It’s impossible to see this in the ECS product photos, but you can see what I mean in the after images of my car from my last post. Hopefully I explained it well enough. If not I can circle what I’m talking about after I get home from work.

- Fitment/as close to 135 stock as possible is more important to you, you’ll be happy with the kit that I bought.
- True 1M styling is more important and the slight 1” gap between bottom of the bumper and belly pan/wheel well isn’t a big deal, you’re best served by the fog light kit. Dremel off the fog light brackets, and use stock 1M ducts (or leave the fogs).

Both give a similar appearance and “feel,” but the subtle differences are where you’ll likely decide. There’s an argument to be made either way, and there’s really no wrong answer.
Huh, I never noticed the difference before - I do like the more defined curve of the fog light bumper, however I feel like it'd scrape more if it hangs down slightly. I'll have to keep this in mind when I decide to swap out the bumpers, thank you.
      05-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #76
ProjektMayhem
MPOSTER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN.BIMMER View Post
Huh, I never noticed the difference before - I do like the more defined curve of the fog light bumper, however I feel like it'd scrape more if it hangs down slightly. I'll have to keep this in mind when I decide to swap out the bumpers, thank you.
For what it’s worth, my driveway is steep enough that even with stock bumper and suspension I’d have to take it at an angle. With the coilovers I installed the week before the bumper, it became a matter of a very precise angle. So I was also concerned about scraping when I thought I’d bought the fog bumper, but it’s not really an issue with the one I received. Silver linings!

And np! Hope you’re satisfied whichever way you go!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:06 AM   #77
rodsarria
Registered
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektMayhem View Post
I recently bought the bumper with air ducts from ECS, looks great out of the box. I haven't installed yet, but when I started putting together the pieces of this kit I noticed something that might be an issue. Maybe ProjektMayhem you can enlighten us on this.

Being a replica of the 1M bumper, this kit comes two air ducts for cooling the two oil radiators the 1M has, but the 135i has only one oil radiator (right side). Where does the left duct lead? Is it a dead end? I think the duct might not even have anchoring points at the end since there's no radiator.

Last edited by rodsarria; 08-01-2019 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #78
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

I also got the ECS bumper kit with the ducts, and don't know what to do with the fake vent looking things on the ends of the bumper? Did you just cut it out and leave it as a hole or fab up some ducting?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0