BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

AKG DTM Selector Rod/DSSR & Shifter Housing Bushing Set - Reviews?

Anyone have these parts installed? I'm thinking of getting both, to improve / remove shifter slop. I have a 2010 128i with about 100K kms on it, along with upgraded rogue transmission mounts, and a BMW performance shift knob (stock shifter though).

Really like the way the shifter feels, and don't want an SSK, but would love to tighten things up a bit while preserving driveability and feel. The DSSR seems like it would help with slop, and the housing bushings as well.

Anyone care to comment?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Well I guess nobody bit the bullet on either of these

I ordered the DSSR/DTM Shift selector, and housing bushings (oval), as well as the brass clutch pedal self oiling bushings. Will post my thoughts. Andrey_GTA also got the DSSR and housing bushings so that should make two of us!
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
The DTM rod from AKG is a featherweight block of aluminum, finely machined.
I was worried that the it would need washers to have a snug fit @ trans and @ lever.
I was wrong, the protruding plastic ends/embedded washers on the OEM parts will need to be filed off with a hand file to the respective metal/bronze - ensuring a custom snug fit. So this is not a plug & play. I recommend ordering the 20$ shifter joint for the Transmission side 25111222688 and filing as needed. Or experiment with an e36 part that needs no filing due to a lack of embedded washers.
For lever side - probably it will be a 20 minute filing job under the car OR modding a SSK lever before install.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 12-25-2016 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

So it's now been just over a week after getting the following parts fitted:

NOTE: I have the stock 128i shift lever, only with a BMW Performance knob

- AKG DTM Selector Rod (DSSR)
(https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...2-e93-325-328/)

- AKG Delrin Shifter Housing Bushing Set (Oval)
(https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...-z4-3-0i-2006/)

- AKG Clutch Pedal Bushing, Bronze
(https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...or-bmw-bronze/)

- New BMW Parts #5,7,11,12,14 from the following diagram
(http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0388)

The AKG DSSR comes with new locking clips so no need for new ones there.

Firstly - the quality of the AKG DTM DSSR is fantastic, solid billet Aluminum piece machined to very fine tolerances. As Andrey mentioned above, the transmission end of the DSSR that goes over the factory Rod Joint (part #11 above) is an exact fit to the metal housing, so the small plastic bushings that protrude from the factory Rod Joint need to be filed down. This is mentioned on a little slip of paper instruction that comes with the DSSR. It's a good design IMO as the plastic bushings wear out over time and introduce slop.

The Delrin shifter housing bushings and bronze clutch pedal bushings seem to be of good quality and workmanship as well.

I got all the parts installed by my mechanic, and from their feedback there were no issues whatsoever. Dropping the driveshaft makes things very easy to access. Total labour for the above parts was 2.5 hours

Post install impressions:

- The shifter IMMEDIATELY feels solid. There is NO SLOP even when in neutral. The only movement in the lever is actual movement of the mechanisms in the transmission. Same goes for in gear, there is no movement/slop in the lever once a gear is selected

- There was maybe a 5-10% increase in shift effort initially, but I've quickly become used to this and don't even notice anymore. I suspect after driving for a day or two the effort has returned back to stock levels as everything is "worked in"

- As much as the stock shifter is one of the best shifting BMWs, the improvements made by these parts really take it to the next level. It is extremely satisfying to shift through the gears now, a tight and smooth experience with no notchiness that you can get with some short shift kits. The length of throws I always felt were fine in stock form as they match the character of the engine (we don't have whippet like revs on the N52, so shifting is always going to be deliberate).

- The clutch pedal is now also rock solid, there is ZERO side to side movement and it feels solid. Glad I did this instead of changing the whole thing out for a UCP

Overall, I am really happy with these improvements as they fix two major touch points that the driver is always interacting with - shift lever and clutch pedal. It is really much more enjoyable to drive the car now and I highly recommend the DSSR and bushing upgrade.
Appreciate 5