BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

What amp upgrade should I do?

Hey guys, so I'm assuming my amp is fried chicken. I'm getting static and white noise from all speakers at all times. Even the "gong" from opening the door and parking sensor chime have static.

Anyways, upgrading the sound system was on my bucket-list -- so now that I have to -- why not. I want to start with the amp to see if it fixes my issue, then go from there.

I've seen where some members have used:
- Kenwood eXcelon XR600-1 Monoblock
- JL Audio XD600/6

I also have read where you need the "technics harness" for it to be plug-n-play.

What's the consensus on the best & easiest amp to install. I'm not a big car/sound guy so just looking for a simple easy to install upgrade over stock.
      12-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Jedclampet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Black

I have owned a 135 where I ran a JBL MS8 processor and JL Audio XD 600/6 and 600/1 with Morel speakers. I now have a X3 and I ran Match PP82DSP with Jehnert speakers and JL Audio Sub and mono amp.. Two things to keep in mind a processor really makes a difference and the Jehnerts dam near drop right in. With the Match being a processor and amp in one small unit you save space and many extra wires. There's a good post in the 3 series audio worth reading. And Technics does build the harnesses for these also.
      12-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
TUN3D
Major
Rep

Jedclampet > Thanks a million -- really appreciate it.
      12-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
halfhalo
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E88 135i

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
If you just want an amp, go with the Xd600/6 with technic's harness. Its as plug-and-play as you can get with the hifi system. Literally unbolt existing amp, velcro down new amp, plug in harness to car's connector.

If you want a DSP + Amp, I would def go with the Match PP82DSP. Its not as powerful as the XD, but its 2-in-1. You do have to deal with setting up/tweaking the dsp, which makes it not quite as easy to setup. Install (should) be the same , yank existing amp and velcro down the new one, then connect via harness.

Technic's Harness is not technically needed... but it makes life much easier. It takes the existing amp's connection to the car and splits it into rca and speaker wires, plus remote on. No wiring needed besides running power/ground, which is included. And its very well built for what it is.

My current setup is sort of a hybrid of the two. XD600/6 plus a Helix DSP, which is basically the Match minus the amp. More expensive, plus more fiddly to install, but it works better with what I'm planning my system to end up being (Adding a JX360/4 to power the underseats, and then running the front stage active using the extra 2 channels on the XD600/6 for the front tweeters, while still all being plug-and-play save for the speaker wire run for the tweeters.)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
TUN3D
Major
Rep

halfhalo > Great info. Thank you! Based on the last few days of snooping around (and the confirmation on this thread), I'm gonna go with the Xd600/6 & Technic's harness.

I'm literally going nuts man. I got some water in my amp area, which I think fried the damn thing. As a result, I have static and crackling from all speakers at all times. I was able to get a replacement OEM amp but I think that one might have been bad as well.

At this point, buying another one is a waste of money -- so lets try this. Hopefully it takes care of the issue. Ideally, if it does, I think it would be a good enough start to eventually upgrade the rest of the system.
      07-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
guslealisla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135I MSport Vert

Sorry to revive this from the dead, but did replacing the amp solve the problem? I just bought a 2011 with HIFI and I have the same issue.