BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #23
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
Maybe u r right, but I think u r wrong, GM is using a new sigma platform I think.. It has been handling al their GM australia 600hp cars for a while..
Back on topic..

yeah that is true but GM cars always have had bad interiors and bad build quality and also have been known to have really really ruff rides, especially the cts-v thats out now. and in a luxury class that consists of the m3, m5, e63, rs6, rs4 brute force and ruff ride just won't cut it.
      06-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #24
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

New CTS interior is WORLDS above the current cts.. GM is in the right direction.. I cant say the same about Ford/Chrysler..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #25
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

For what it's worth, I had a candid conversation with one of my sources yesterday, and he eluded to a few more details.

First, the coupe and convertible will debut together, except for the 135i convertible, which will come later in the model year. They will launch in the States early in the 2nd quarter of 2008 as 2009 models. A 128i coupe and convertible and a 135i coupe will bow together.

It sounds as if all 135i models will be equipped with sport pacakge (sport seats, suspension, M Technik body kit, 18" wheels) as standard. The 128i will offer a sport package (seats & suspension) as an option. Expect leatherette as standard with leather as an option on 128i, and part leather/part cloth sport seats on the 135i, with full leather as an option.

6-speed manuals will be standard on both, and the 6-speed auto'box will cost extra. Don't expect a dual-clutch gearbox until at least a year after it debuts in the new M3 (which will be here next summer, but as a six-speed manual only in the 2009 model year).

Despite what AN keeps reporting, the plan is still to refer to them (both) as 1 Series models. The 2 Series talk has been denied to the hilt by everyone I've talked to at BMW.

Internally, the folks at BMWNA are quite excited about the launch of the coupe. My contact acknowledged that the 3 Series has moved upmarket and no longer appeals to the same type of driver that fell in love with 2002s and E30s, and that the 1 Series will get back to those cars' "attainable" driver's car roots. Still too early to discuss pricing but the consensus is it will be a value by BMW standards, but not a "cheap" car.
      06-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #26
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks View Post
For what it's worth, I had a candid conversation with one of my sources yesterday, and he eluded to a few more details.

First, the coupe and convertible will debut together, except for the 135i convertible, which will come later in the model year. They will launch in the States early in the 2nd quarter of 2008 as 2009 models. A 128i coupe and convertible and a 135i coupe will bow together.

It sounds as if all 135i models will be equipped with sport pacakge (sport seats, suspension, M Technik body kit, 18" wheels) as standard. The 128i will offer a sport package (seats & suspension) as an option. Expect leatherette as standard with leather as an option on 128i, and part leather/part cloth sport seats on the 135i, with full leather as an option.

6-speed manuals will be standard on both, and the 6-speed auto'box will cost extra. Don't expect a dual-clutch gearbox until at least a year after it debuts in the new M3 (which will be here next summer, but as a six-speed manual only in the 2009 model year).

Despite what AN keeps reporting, the plan is still to refer to them (both) as 1 Series models. The 2 Series talk has been denied to the hilt by everyone I've talked to at BMW.

Internally, the folks at BMWNA are quite excited about the launch of the coupe. My contact acknowledged that the 3 Series has moved upmarket and no longer appeals to the same type of driver that fell in love with 2002s and E30s, and that the 1 Series will get back to those cars' "attainable" driver's car roots. Still too early to discuss pricing but the consensus is it will be a value by BMW standards, but not a "cheap" car.
Thanks for the update Bryan. I feel like a starved child. Any info is very good at this point.
      06-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #27
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Alright Bryan, good stuff. Is there any hope for start/stop technology to be available on the inline 6s?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #28
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Alright Bryan, good stuff. Is there any hope for start/stop technology to be available on the inline 6s?
As I understand it, that technology will not be available at launch. It's limited to the 4-cylinder engine right now, but will eventually find its way into the sixes.
      06-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #29
amdmaxx
United_States
Rep

Good updates, Brian..
135 with Sport is exactly what BMW needs.. Lets just hope weight is down and the engine is not detuned from factory..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #30
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

I was kind of hoping for a mid-point 130 - 128 a little low on performance, 135 priced out of this world.... especially in Canada where the car companies still use a 65-70 cent exchange rate despite the fact that the Canadian $ is at .94 US. May have to buy this in the States - I wonder if BMW allows US dealers to sell to Canucks, and if the warranty would be honoured.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #31
123d
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
I was kind of hoping for a mid-point 130 - 128 a little low on performance, 135 priced out of this world.... especially in Canada where the car companies still use a 65-70 cent exchange rate despite the fact that the Canadian $ is at .94 US. May have to buy this in the States - I wonder if BMW allows US dealers to sell to Canucks, and if the warranty would be honoured.
A friend of mine bought at MDX from the states. The warrenty is not valid. I would assume the same for BMW. There are certain things you need to do to get the car over here... but it is possible. It helps to know someone who does this type of thing often.

I will probably look into this option as well. Just check US price out the z4 coupe (not offered in Canada). For that type of savings I would deal without having a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #32
amdmaxx
United_States
Rep

Can an American buy this for you and sell as used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #33
123d
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
Can an American buy this for you and sell as used?
Yes. That would be a great way of doing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #34
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Alright so what's going on with the site name? The "X" over 2 addicts, that appeared after the website name changed to 1 addicts is now gone. Does someone have inside confirmation that the coupe and convertible will be a 2 series now?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 05:46 AM   #35
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Alright so what's going on with the site name? The "X" over 2 addicts, that appeared after the website name changed to 1 addicts is now gone. Does someone have inside confirmation that the coupe and convertible will be a 2 series now?
Nothing is confirmed until BMW says so in an official press release, I just decided to change it back to 2addicts in the graphics until we hear something from BMW, until then, both 1addicts.com and 2addicts.com will work... No matter what rumors you hear, no matter who the source is, don't believe it until BMW says its so...