BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

BMW 1-series Pic > Clearest shot yet/ June 5

Attachment 943

Clear Shot

Finally, these shots show the new Coupe of the BMW 1-Series almost completely free of disguising. Engine options for the stylish 1-series Coupe have yet to be confirmed, but BMW officials have said they do not plan to offer a four-cylinder engine in America – although we believe they will be available in European markets. But we are expecting a version of the magnesium/aluminium 3.0-liter six-cylinder that is currently found in the 130i, as well as the 3- and 5-series, Z4 Coupe and Roadster, and X3 and X5. There is also a strong possibility the 3.0-liter turbo-charged six from the 335i coupe and sedan could find its way into an M version of the 1-series Coupe. Among driving enthusiasts, there is strong sentiment that the 3-series Coupe has grown too large and luxurious to be a true sports coupe. Many of them long for a smaller, simpler car with the driving dynamics BMW has become known for. The 1-series Coupe could possibly deliver on that desire, all the while holding its head high as a true BMW

Attachment 944
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep

Attachment 945

Well, this is it...looks like the base model in a color almost totally inappropriate for a sporty car.
I think these were hastily thrown out on the internet to keep us happy while the official press packet is being...what...delayed? & why? Final revisions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep

Attachment 946

I'm guessing but it 100% sure looks like BMW trotted this Plain-Jane out to buy time.
Note there's still camo on the trunk and tailights! Nevertheless. the car is brilliant!
It feels like official photos/info are in quarantine for the time being even though they are supposed to be released any time now.
I suspect we will be deluged very soon with high quality pics and deep info.

What car is being towed in front! Is it a 3-er?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
What car is being towed in front! Is it a 3-er?
E92 335i (coupe) The high pressure fuel pump probably crapped out. Very common problem with the N54s (335).

I agree, the exterior color nor the wheels do anything for the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
superlight
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 4runner

Any news is good news, just get it here already.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
kere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

What's with the headlight camo? Still hoping that there's a wonderful surprise behind
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

All of us here in the office agree that as more of the disguise comes off, the better this car looks. It's interesting that they're being so protective of the taillight treatment. It certainly seems to be a very calculated unveiling, almost like a strip show to tease us. Oh well, I guess the undies are always last to come off.:eyebulge:
      06-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
ZweierCoupe
Private
Rep
Drives:

Fist BMW with Eye Make-Up

I can tell from the parking lot in the background that those pictures were taken right in front of BMW's research and innovation center (FIZ) in Munich, which is where they put it together.

Tomorrow (Wednesday, June 6) a new issue of the Auto Motor und Sport magazine comes out. If a public release was planned for early June, that would be a good forum, generating ample publicity. Of course Germancarfans.Com is also always among the first to get official BMW information, often in considerable detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kere View Post
What's with the headlight camo? Still hoping that there's a wonderful surprise behind
It looks almost as if though that's the final version, as if though they'll use the same oversized headlamps from the other versions, but with some of the paint around the edges, just like windshields are now black around the edges. Essentially, it's a BMW with eye-liner make-up. Perhaps they should have given the car fake eyelashes too.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Amazing shots, pure PR work huh, this color is really flattering to the front end, I cant wait to see it in person.. should only be a matter of months now?
      06-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
Amazing shots, pure PR work huh, this color is really flattering to the front end, I cant wait to see it in person.. should only be a matter of months now?
Attachment 947

Look close- tires are still wet and water dripping from front spoiler...if you have a good monitor it's there.
Anyway, it's like a..."ta-da!" moment. They've just trotted this little baby out from the wash bay.
:biggrin:
Also, something really awkward at the front where the upper portion of the headlight meets the two joining sufaces of the
hood and fender. The strong character line that begins at the headlight and runs full-length of the body at shoulder height
sort of disappears at the front. Maybe it's me and I can't quite put it into words.

Thanks to 1addicts admin and WCF.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Also, something really awkward at the front where the upper portion of the headlight meets the two joining sufaces of the
hood and fender. The strong character line that begins at the headlight and runs full-length of the body at shoulder height
sort of disappears at the front. Maybe it's me and I can't quite put it into words.
It seems to be the same as on the 5-door, no?

06-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
bum944
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I'm hoping for higher gas prices than today so it will force BMW's hand to offer a 4-cyl turbo diesel w/200hp. I'm not interested in mid 20's mpg. May have to wait for a boring Japanese diesel.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
brett8210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

"The strong character line that begins at the headlight and runs full-length of the body at shoulder height
sort of disappears at the front."

That maybe the impact of the black tape.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #14
brett8210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Oh YES.

Let's hope the economy goes to hell so you can get your diesel. YEAH!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #15
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Nice wheel arches!!
I wanna see FMIC in one of those (read: 135 or M3)..
And yes, another vote for hatch and diesel version in US.. I really hope BMW will eventually bring hatches and diesels here..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
brett8210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Hatches despite their advantages will NEVER sell in large numbers here in the US.

BMW is smart not to bring them here. Look at the VW Rabbit. NOT SELLING even though you can get it far cheaper than a Jetta. Why would someone pay that much more for a 1 series? The market is TOO small to justify the cost of importing and the diluting of the brand with what will appear to the majority of us as an "economy" car.

Diesels are a great idea, and will be here soon if they can get them to pass the emissions standards from California and the East Coast.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #17
mam14225
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I love this coupe.... It's the most natural replacement for my 2000 328Ci. Looking forward to the performance and economy improvements.

Thanks for the email brookside.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks View Post
It seems to be the same as on the 5-door, no?
Yeah, it's the tape that's throwing me. Thanks for posting the hatch photo bryan.

These are the remaining photos in this series and apparently they are saying this is the last "spypics".
I guess everyone has their own theory why no official press photos...but this is the calm before the storm.

Still, even in what appears to be the base model with safe-sex wheels and a color that's short on WOW, the car is gorgeous.
Once the presspics come out we'll be looking at hi-zoot models, artificial lighting, and all the drama and desire manipulation that BMW can muster.

In a way, I prefer these straight natural shots that portray the car in a real setting under normal outdoor lighting.

btw- are those led strips running horizontally across the tailights?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

I see it's getting real close now!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #20
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The drive I was on was a clandestine introduction for the media who will report their conclusions shortly. As we had to drive both 1er hatches and Audi A3 , Mercedes SportCoupe (S******!) before getting the keys to the Coupe. As they have stressed the Coupe is the more performance , sporty dynamic interpretation of the 1er platform and you can feel this in it's enhanced steering and suspension modifications - coupled with this new diesel, show it's beginnings as a born winner. The balance and agility with this engine is second to none - No nose heavy feeling everything just fits like a glove.

As mentioned throughout my reports over the last couple of years. The development focused on returning to reinterpreting the days of the E30 especially the E30 M3 in advocating an exciting concept of an enthusiast's driving machine. Purely the Coupe is a sporty dynamic car first and the (useful) rear interior space signify's this, as the driver is positioned in about the centre of the car which gives the design a kicked back look squat on it's haunches.

Agility could not be tested thoroughly as we were confined mainly to city streets and autobahns. (It is fast and remember with 204 PS at your disposal !) - But that opportunity will come but so far I liked what I saw and I am sure it will live up to it's expectations - "We don't work so hard to deliver a disappointment, if we did we cannot be called enthusiasts if we are not passionate about what we do" Someone said with a great big grin.

Some American Tourists saw the car as we parked outside a Kaffehaus - Cooing "It's the new 2 series!" Unfortunately I was not allowed to answer questions so in my best pronounced English "I say sorry but I do not speak English" They asked if they could photograph the car but I said no But I am sure they did. There was two in two colors - (working title as)" Charcoal Mist and Saltire Blue".
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
aural iNK
Registered
Rep
Drives:

A quick and dirty without the tape...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #22
Brookside
Major