BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
135_PJ_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Hey guys, this is my first post so bear with me.

My name is PJ. I drive a 2012 FBO N55 135i. I bought this car back in January with 71k miles. Soon as I got the car I took care of all the maintenance...plugs, coils, oil, oil pan/OFHG & valve cover gaskets, water pump etc. I bought the car because of the rumored N55s reliability and the reason for that is because I had no idea what goals I wanted for this car (I suppose i still don't). So as time goes by, I read the forums and FB pages to see what I can do with it and that's when I came across companies like VRSF, Injen, BMS, MHD, etc and I saw what was offered for the N55 platform. So I got myself the VRSF Intercooler, Charge pipe and down pipe. With the stage 2+ on MHD I was finally FBO, but I wasn't quite satisfied. My next move was to make the car run a bit cooler. I currently live in Hawaii so it's pretty hot everyday and from what I've read, these cars can run pretty hot. Mind you this is the first turbo car I've ever owned so I don't know much about heat control or what temps are normal. I came from the S54 Platform and those cars run a lot cooler than the N55s for the obvious reason lol. But getting back to the point. I know I wanna go a lot faster and yes I know I could've done this with another engine but I love the N55. It sounds amazing and it's been reliable to me so far for the almost 8 months of ownership. Since I'm aiming for higher numbers I was looking on upgrading the turbo. Now this is my daily driver, so I'm not looking for something crazy high just 450 or there about. I have had my eyes on two kits: Pure and Big Boost 3.4. Now I know pure is the go-to for N55s and reliable power but what about big boost? I know their turbos are bigger and they come with external waste Gates and I understand the problems that can come with that. More heat, more lag, more engine stress. But I wanna do something different, maybe everyone went pure for a reason, I don't know. I just know that I wanna be a bit faster and closer to my target HP wether that be wheel or crank, doesn't matter to me. My next mods are Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, a Mossleman Oil cooler and a bunch of Cosmetics. I wanna take care of all the performance stuff before I move onto making it look good. Here's a few pics of my car and thanks for listening/reading. I look forward to keeping this updated as I journey along.
Attached Images

Afam28296.50
      07-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

For anything near 450-520whp, just get a pure. Tried and tested, there's no reason to go bigger.

Also, cars typically tend to stop being reliable when you throw 200whp on top of what they made stock.
      08-01-2020, 11:18 PM   #3
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Check out austinaslink's build thread in photo and video forum. He's running a pure st2. Has real dyno results. A mosselman cooler and also lives in Hawaii.
Think he dynoed on a conservative tune to 399 whp
Appreciate 2
      08-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
135_PJ_
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Check out austinaslink's build thread in photo and video forum. He's running a pure st2. Has real dyno results. A mosselman cooler and also lives in Hawaii.
Think he dynoed on a conservative tune to 399 whp
I know Austin, I've seen his build in person and it's a beautiful machine. However I wanna do something a little different...and I probably will end up doing something different.
      08-10-2020, 02:08 AM   #5
135_PJ_
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

Today I installed new PR coils and changed out my air box filter and put in some in-grille scoops. So turns out I ended up getting the big boost 3.4 kit. I'm curious to see how this goes paired with a water-meth kit and an upgraded LPFP. Got some suspension upgrades as well waiting to go in, just waiting on some coilovers so I can put everything in at once. That's all I have for now later guys and thanks again for reading!
Attached Images

10-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 PS2 N55 135i

Can't wait to see the Big Boost kit! Good choice on the N55 by the way man. Mine's been reliable and enjoyable for over 3 years for me now. Hit me up when you guys start installing that kit! I want to lend a hand.
      10-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
135_PJ_
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaslink View Post
Can't wait to see the Big Boost kit! Good choice on the N55 by the way man. Mine's been reliable and enjoyable for over 3 years for me now. Hit me up when you guys start installing that kit! I want to lend a hand.
Tbh I might need your help. I was gonna have Eric help me but he's bouta leave the island for a while and now I need a spot to do it at and tools etc lol 😂