BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
LaurentZo
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2008, Golf R 2018

Trying to say goodbye to Adaptive Headlights Errors with NCS Expert

I've tried my best to search numerous forums, read all the how-tos I could find, including some YouTube videos that even show the process, for the life of my I am unable to disable the Adaptive Headlights on my 2008 135i.
Short version:
  • Got an INPA K+CAN K+DCAN cable
  • Grabbed the tools and SP-DATEN files for E89 from bimmergeeks
  • Setup a Win10 VM, installed the tools, moved the insides of the E89.RAR to the appropriate folders as per the instructions
  • Launch NCS Expert in Manipulation mode (for some reason this version is labelled as such)
  • Connect, grab the VIN, connect to CAS module, grab the VO
  • Edit the VO, remove $524
  • Switch job to FA_WRITE, execute that
  • Change ECU to NRFM (not sure the spelling by heart), execute FA_WRITE again
  • Close it up, shut down the car, leave, water my garden, come back, put the key, press ignition
  • BAM! Adaptive Headlights Error.

Obviously I'm doing a step wrong, or missing something, and I can't find it. I tried the NCS Dummy app but I am unable to understand as some of the result is in German and I can't find Adaptive or Headlights in it.

Important point: if I start over from scratch and read the VO from CAS or NFRM (Spelling?), $524 is indeed gone. So obviously it's not gone enough.

Has someone in this forum successfully managed to disable their Adaptive Headlights with these tools?

The objective is to simply shut it down and convert them to regular non-adaptive headlights, and remove the error code from constantly popping on the dashboard.

I did try to repair the headlights first, to no avail (changed the module at the bottom of the headlight module. There was a lot of corrosion in that connector.)

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
Tut4u2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M3 Conversion

Change CHECK_SMC_ERROR and DYNAM_LWR_ENABLE to nitch_active in NFRM
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
LaurentZo
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2008, Golf R 2018

I loaded NFRM, copied the content of FSW_PSW.TRC into FSW_PSW.MAN, changed the following two to nicht_aktiv:

CHECK_SMC_ERROR
nicht_aktiv
DYNAM_LWR_ENABLE
nicht_aktiv

Did an FA_WRITE operation, closed, shut down the car, cold start, same result

I confirm that if I now load from scratch the content of NFRM, the two values are staying correctly at nicht_aktiv. I also read CAS and FRM, seems it copied there as well too because it comes out nicht_aktiv as well.

Anything else I might have omitted?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 04:16 AM   #4
Tut4u2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M3 Conversion

Did you unplug the motors after flashing?
They other thing you can try doing is running the smc job from ncs expert.
Appreciate 0