BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

What is this wire doing here?

Looking at a 135i that was in a front end accident. I was looking at the engine bay and noticed this wire here and was wondering what this is and why it is there and where is it supposed to go. Also anything else that looks off?

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Hard to tell from that picture what the wire is for. It actually looks more like a hose to me, depending on how long I look at it.

BTW, it looks like that car might also have the PPK2 upgrades installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Hard to tell from that picture what the wire is for. It actually looks more like a hose to me, depending on how long I look at it.

BTW, it looks like that car might also have the PPK2 upgrades installed.
It does look like a hose too, maybe a vacuum line? but yea didn't see that PPK2, it is that black box near the headlight correct?

Also, I know the engine bay is dirty, but does it look like it been underwater? Some of the nuts looks rusted and some sand and stuff in areas too.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyincash View Post
It does look like a hose too, maybe a vacuum line? but yea didn't see that PPK2, it is that black box near the headlight correct?

Also, I know the engine bay is dirty, but does it look like it been underwater? Some of the nuts looks rusted and some sand and stuff in areas too.
Maybe a vacuum line, but then again at the end of the hose up on the cowl it looks like theres some sort of bushing to slot into a bracket and then maybe some sort of specific end connection there. Looks more like an AC line or something like that, quite odd.

I'm not sure I could definitely say it looks like it was underwater, it more so just looks like it's been sitting with the hood open for a while or something like that.

Edit* Regarding the PPK2, yes the boxes on both sides near the headlights. One's a relay and I think the other is the relocated bracket for the horn or something like that, I don't remember off hand.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe a vacuum line, but then again at the end of the hose up on the cowl it looks like theres some sort of bushing to slot into a bracket and then maybe some sort of specific end connection there. Looks more like an AC line or something like that, quite odd.

I'm not sure I could definitely say it looks like it was underwater, it more so just looks like it's been sitting with the hood open for a while or something like that.

Edit* Regarding the PPK2, yes the boxes on both sides near the headlights. One's a relay and I think the other is the relocated bracket for the horn or something like that, I don't remember off hand.
Here is the hose a little closer up. It does look like its got some sort of "T" connection on it, like a vacuum line or something, just strange that it goes down and cuts between the engine and air filter.
View post on imgur.com

It's a run and drive so it was started and moved when they got it, the accident happened only a month ago so I guess it could accumulate that dirt if the hood was open. It's quite the only thing I am worried about. I'm going to look at it tomorrow.. anything specific I should look at? It's got 130k miles 1 owner, 1 accident which was small damage to the front, cracked the headlight, bumped and fender liner. Sort of worried about the suspension though. Its got different wheels on the front than the back.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Should've just shared the copart link: https://www.copart.com/lot/31138970

It looks like it's an -is so the PPK2 was installed at port before delivery.
Check to make sure nothing leaking on the pass side where most of the damage is, oil cooler is located down there in the wheel well.
Windshield Washer reservoir is also buried in there, and it looks like the headlight washers are missing.

It's got an aftermarket quad exhaust, maybe Remus?

Good call on the suspension, might need a full refresh if it's never been done before and it's just been sitting. Look for corrosion around front suspension upper mounts, I can imagine water pooling there if hood was open.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Should've just shared the copart link: https://www.copart.com/lot/31138970

It looks like it's an -is so the PPK2 was installed at port before delivery.
Check to make sure nothing leaking on the pass side where most of the damage is, oil cooler is located down there in the wheel well.
Windshield Washer reservoir is also buried in there, and it looks like the headlight washers are missing.

It's got an aftermarket quad exhaust, maybe Remus?

Good call on the suspension, might need a full refresh if it's never been done before and it's just been sitting. Look for corrosion around front suspension upper mounts, I can imagine water pooling there if hood was open.
Yeah, sorry, that probably would have been easier.

Yes looks like a Remus to me.

What would you call a "full refresh" of a suspension? If it needed any parts I would certainly do m3 components.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, that probably would have been easier.

Yes looks like a Remus to me.

What would you call a "full refresh" of a suspension? If it needed any parts I would certainly do m3 components.
Main thing would be struts, maybe springs. But also front upper mount, rear upper and lower mounts. Might need tie-rods, and maybe sway bar links.

Besides that, yeah M3 control arms kit would be an easy way to knock a whole bunch of stuff out.

Only way to know would be to drive it or get it up on a lift though.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Main thing would be struts, maybe springs. But also front upper mount, rear upper and lower mounts. Might need tie-rods, and maybe sway bar links.

Besides that, yeah M3 control arms kit would be an easy way to knock a whole bunch of stuff out.

Only way to know would be to drive it or get it up on a lift though.
I appreciate the info!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the info!
Good luck!! If you go take a look at it, make sure to take some pictures and post em here. I'm sure more people would be willing to take a closer look and give their opinions.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:12 AM   #12
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Vac feed line for the exhaust flapper. It normally sits on the left strut tower. It is fed from the barb on the rocker cover vacuum reservoir
Appreciate 0