BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
mcm08
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 128i

Unhappy 128i cranks sort of starts then dies

Happy Easter. So I was offered a great deal on a 08 128i but it needs some work. Engine turns over and starts for a couple seconds (sort of) but is super rough. The car never really makes it to idle. I’ll link a video below so you can see/hear what I mean. I have a Foxwell scan tool but the car sat with a dead battery for a couple months before I bought it, I’ve attached the stored codes I was able to pull. The mechanic that looked at it before I bought it thought it might be timing but as I understand chain engines seldom have timing issues? This mechanic was not familiar with BMWs (small car dealer mechanic where I bought the car i.e. I didn’t hire him). The mechanic replaced the plugs and 1 coil in bank 2. The plugs he took out were black so running rich. They told me the car was running when it was traded in but it was misfiring then eventually would no longer start.
My first step even before I took a serious look at the codes was to unplug the MAF sensor which made no difference. I have 2 MAF codes 2D16 & 2D0F and a generic OBDII P116E but I don’t know if they are there because I unplugged the MAF. The car has not run for more than a couple seconds since I unplugged it so not sure if that’s enough time for those codes to cycle. So it could still be faulty but it looks like it has been replaced because it says VDO on it.
I threw the battery on the trickle and had it load tested and it passed, then I recoded it to the car so I would think the 2DEC isn’t anything to worry about.
My real concern is the 2AB4 code. Could it be the solenoid? Seems like it’s an electronic fault in the ECU? Should I start with the ECU relay?
Other things I’m considering:
-Valvtronic motor
-Injectors
-O2 sensors or sensor relay
-Vacuum leak
-Fuel pump

Video:https://youtu.be/6ScqO6NGnN0

What are your thoughts? Your help is appreciated!

PS This is my first post. I’ve owned a 135i for many years and I’ve performed a water pump and thermostat and a starter replacement on it so I’m fairly dangerous mechanically and pretty comfortable around BMWs but by no measure an expert.
Attached Images

Last edited by mcm08; 04-12-2020 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0