BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Suspension Components Coming Loose??

Has anyone had issues with suspension components getting loose after driving?

I installed BC Coils a while back and torqued everything to spec and marked the bolts/etc. so I'd know if they moved.

A knocking sound developed in the rear recently and after a thorough check I found the following to be loose:
  • Lower strut mounts (torx bolts under control arm)
  • Strut top nuts
  • Coilover adjustment rings

Just curious if anyone has experienced something similar. I torqued everything down a bit past spec this time!!

Now that everything is super tight the car feels great again and no more noise.
      04-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I had one strut top nut come loose once and make a heck of a racket, but that's the only issue I've had. Any other issues were simply the result of me not torquing things down properly.
Matticus913469.50
      04-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

My rear TC Kline DA Coilovers make a bit of noise as if they were loose. When the shop installed them they noticed this too and actually called TC Kline to ask them what the deal was. They said it was usual for the DA to make noise as if they were loose. The shop that installed them was West End Alignment in So-Cal, super well known for their alignment work and generally their work on track and high performance cars in general. Me and them both grab all of the suspension pieces and tried to move them to try to get them to make noise but nothing.

Now that you started this thread, you reminded me that I should take another look.
Appreciate 1
Matticus913469.50
      04-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I had one strut top nut come loose once and make a heck of a racket, but that's the only issue I've had. Any other issues were simply the result of me not torquing things down properly.
Yeah those I kind of expect, it's almost inevitable especially on coils. But the lower mounts I found odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
My rear TC Kline DA Coilovers make a bit of noise as if they were loose. When the shop installed them they noticed this too and actually called TC Kline to ask them what the deal was. They said it was usual for the DA to make noise as if they were loose. The shop that installed them was West End Alignment in So-Cal, super well known for their alignment work and generally their work on track and high performance cars in general. Me and them both grab all of the suspension pieces and tried to move them to try to get them to make noise but nothing.

Now that you started this thread, you reminded me that I should take another look.
I've heard the BC's make some noise too, which has only proven to be the case on really severe bumps where the rear suspension almost fully extends. Otherwise they're pretty quiet, close to new OEM suspension.

Just a suggestion, you're very unlikely to make anything rattle/knock by hand. A loose component that can be rattled by a 3,000lb car going over a bump at 30mph is not necessarily going to present itself to human interaction. I'd suggest instead just checking torque ratings on all the bolts, I got it done front and rear in less than an hour.
      04-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Yeah we visually checked and rocked the car pretty hard since the car was on an alignment rack. And the owner of the shop said he triple checked every bolt. The noise is not necessarily on hard bumps but every little movement.

You're right though, doesn't hurt to just check torque specs all around.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #6
Papa13
Go Gators!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 / e90 / e53 / e46

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
My front right TC-Kline DA coil is making some gnarly racket I’m taking it in to have it checked. The left doesn’t make much noise at all. I’m thinking the nut may be lose like stated above, but want to double check everything .

To the OP - the rear doesn’t make much noise that I can Remeber and this is my 2nd 135i. Sounds like something may be bent, cracked or broken :/. Hope you get it resolved!
Appreciate 0