BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
waltah
Rep
Drives: na

bolt ons with canned tune

Hey folks, came from a 2011 STi where every bolt on modification meant getting the car re-tuned (custom, not canned) to include anything new you installed. The EJ25 was very sensitive to changes to intake and/or exhaust changes.

I see many N54/55 cars that have bolt ons without any tune at all and others with simple canned tunes (dinan, cobb, jb4). Are the electronics/engine management just more flexible or more advanced?

appreciate any and all input.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

MAP (BMW) vs MAF (Subi)
The load tables in the BMW have more flexibility IMO. FAR more affordable tuning options too, with quite a few 'custom' tunes available for virtually free.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
waltah
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
MAP (BMW) vs MAF (Subi)
The load tables in the BMW have more flexibility IMO. FAR more affordable tuning options too, with quite a few 'custom' tunes available for virtually free.
Interesting, so the tables in the BMWs typically have the ability to adjust according to the variations in air/fuel due to light modifications

Not sure about the free tunes, guess I have some research to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

It's not that the table adapts, there is a correction factor that adapts. It's that there is enough range in the tables that there isn't a huge need for tune until you want more boost.

Things are target load based. It's primarily boost pressure that is the major contributor, then spark then fuel (afr). The load table goes up to about 220, which is something like 22psi. Stock it's set to around 120 load, 8psi about.
So there's a bit of overhead already there, just need a way to access it (tune).
(overly simplified explanation)
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah View Post
Not sure about the free tunes, guess I have some research to do.
Honestly, most people do the same bunch of mods on these cars to get started - you free up the airflow into and out of the car.

Goes something like this: DCI/CAI, Intercooler, Charge Pipe, Downpipe, Low pressure fuel pump.

For that road-well-travelled; you'll want to get an android tablet, a OBDII cable and MHD with off-the-shelf maps.

The biggest difference with BMW is the OEM ECU can be reprogrammed, so you don't need custom piggyback computers and you have all the processing power of an OEM ECU and all the flexibility of a system that's designed to accommodate for wildly different climates, feul qualities and vehicle wear.

... which is a long way of saying yes, the 'aftermarket' engine management is more advanced, and if you're just getting started, you really don't have to look much further than MHD for tuning.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah View Post
Hey folks, came from a 2011 STi where every bolt on modification meant getting the car re-tuned (custom, not canned) to include anything new you installed. The EJ25 was very sensitive to changes to intake and/or exhaust changes.

I see many N54/55 cars that have bolt ons without any tune at all and others with simple canned tunes (dinan, cobb, jb4). Are the electronics/engine management just more flexible or more advanced?

appreciate any and all input.
N55's are MAF and some people do experience issues with aftermarket intakes like the BMS short ram intake. A custom tune is always the way to go.

A lot of time has also been spent fine tuning the OTS maps. These aren't just generic maps from a big company like COBB. The MHD maps are made by community members. People like Wedge performance for the N54 and TwistedTuning for the N55. They own and drive these cars every day so they are always looking for ways to improve the drive ability. Both offer custom tuning for a very affordable price to give you that little bit extra...
Appreciate 0