BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #45
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

These are some pics of the E46 kit they developed. He said it would share some similar cues. My input is that it would need to come down to the front of the front bumper on the front wheel well, as well as down to the side skirt behind the front wheel well and in front of the rear wheel well. I like some aspects, but the fact the it stops so far from the bottom of the car makes it look very incomplete to me.

http://dtmfiberwerkz.com/access/rive...q1ykkAvTo3UrS3

The following is one of the better examples I have found of a perfect kit. Simple, provides what we need, and looks good. Looks like it would probably be a 12 piece kit, which is no big deal.

2009 135i M Sport 6MT - ER CP - HKS BOV - AFE Intake - Cobb AP - VRSF DP's - Remus Quad Race Exhaust - CF Quad Diffuser - CF Spoiler - 19" Alufelgen CSL's - Hardwired V1 - Laser Interceptor Dual - Black Grilles - 1M Bumper - CF Splitter - Custom Alcantera Flat Bottom Steering Wheel

Last edited by MBM6F; 11-24-2014 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #46
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

More good news. Heard back from Forsaken Motorsports today and they were very willing to work with us. They are currently in the process of procuring a car to work off of.

Even better news... I met someone today who happens to be personal friends with the owner of one of the worlds premier widebody manufacturers... And if the kits they make for other BMWs are indicative of how they would look on our cars, we should be excited. Hopefully I'll be in touch with him within the next week. Nothing guaranteed yet, but competition and options are never bad things.

I'll be in Qatar for a bit so I may not be able to keep up with this as well, but I'll do my best and the wheels are rolling.
2009 135i M Sport 6MT - ER CP - HKS BOV - AFE Intake - Cobb AP - VRSF DP's - Remus Quad Race Exhaust - CF Quad Diffuser - CF Spoiler - 19" Alufelgen CSL's - Hardwired V1 - Laser Interceptor Dual - Black Grilles - 1M Bumper - CF Splitter - Custom Alcantera Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #47
evbecks
Hero
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Here's a rendering I did a while back...

picture upload sites
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #48
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

That's pretty solid! I think the front could match up with the rear a bit more, but great start. Any chance you could work up a few more? Maybe one done on a car with a 1M replica bumper?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 01:00 AM   #49
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM6F View Post
Really encouraging news -

Just heard back from DTM Fiber Werkz. The following was the response I received.

"Hello Matt,

Thanks for the email and interest in our parts. We can make fender flares for the 1 series no problem. All we need is a local customer who can leave the car here for 2-3 weeks so we can design the parts and to make molds. We manufacture and design many parts and also private label for other companies.

We can be reached at 818.341.9903 ask to speak with Ary. He is the production manager.

Thanks,

Sales@DTMFiberWerkz.Com"

Ok, who is local and willing to take one for the team?

I also heard back from Prior Designs and they suggested I reach out to their German HQ... I'll leave that to someone fluent in German.
I'm a few hours away from them but wouldn't mind leaving my car with them for a few weeks. I'll contact them tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #50
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
That's pretty solid! I think the front could match up with the rear a bit more, but great start. Any chance you could work up a few more? Maybe one done on a car with a 1M replica bumper?
This sounds really promising! I'm subscribed now. Definitely would want to see it with a 1M replica bumper, as I will be replacing my OEM with a 1M replica hopefully soon. I would definitely be into this kit if we could get it in under $1500
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #51
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer
Quote:

Just heard back from DTM Fiber Werkz. The following was the response I received.

"Hello Matt,

Thanks for the email and interest in our parts. We can make fender flares for the 1 series no problem. All we need is a local customer who can leave the car here for 2-3 weeks so we can design the parts and to make molds. We manufacture and design many parts and also private label for other companies.

We can be reached at 818.341.9903 ask to speak with Ary. He is the production manager.

Thanks,

Sales@DTMFiberWerkz.Com"

I also heard back from Prior Designs and they suggested I reach out to their German HQ... I'll leave that to someone fluent in German.
I'm a few hours away from them but wouldn't mind leaving my car with them for a few weeks. I'll contact them tomorrow.
That would be huge. Thank you from everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #52
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty3bags
Quote:
This sounds really promising! I'm subscribed now. Definitely would want to see it with a 1M replica bumper, as I will be replacing my OEM with a 1M replica hopefully soon. I would definitely be into this kit if we could get it in under $1500
$1500 definitely seems like a realistic price point for the majority of the companies we are dealing with. The last company I mentioned however, which remains nameless at this point, would more likely be in the $3500 range.

If the DTM Fiber Werkz kit made the kit for the E46 look more complete I think that could become a very promising option if translated to the E82 body.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #53
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I think the key is to keeping it subtle and functional. The over exaggerated LB /RB kits are pretty played out and are too wide. They hinder function. I have a few friends with LB m3's and they all had to install air suspension to make them driveable on the street. That was largely due to the splitter and wheels so wide they cant do a U turn. Going too wide also warrants excessively wide wheels which will add a lot of rotational weight beyond what you need.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #54
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

If a simple rivet on kit is made, that works with the OEM 135i front bumper, and isn't too gaudy/bulbous at a decent price point i'm definitely in on this one..
      11-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #55
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Happy thanksgiving everyone.

As I have been in contact with DTM, is it safe to tell them that if we are to go with their kit we would like the flares to extend all the way down? I want to give them some answers that are not solely indicative of my opinions.

That said, I think it would look much better if the flares reached the front of the front bumper and the side skirts in the center portion. Please provide input as this is finally gaining some traction and momentum. Thanks!

I'm very concerned about the quality of the parts from DTM. Many of the reviews are very negative and even the positive ones describe fitment as 6-8/10. Does anyone have experience with them?

Last edited by MBM6F; 11-30-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #56
e90Nick
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: White e46 M3

Saw this on instagram. Tried to google it and nothing came up.

Edit: I personally don't like this style.. I feel it is too big like the LB kits. Something like this perhaps toned down a bit would be good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #57
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Nick
Saw this on instagram. Tried to google it and nothing came up.

Edit: I personally don't like this style.. I feel it is too big like the LB kits. Something like this perhaps toned down a bit would be good.
That looks perfect. I would absolutely take something like that. The part that attaches to the front bumper has some lines that could be improved, but the rear is gorgeous. Anyone have any info on this? What was the Instagram account?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #58
e90Nick
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: White e46 M3

I looked up "ignition motor group" and they had some more pictures of it on their facebook page.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #59
cools20
A God
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:

"Hello Matt,

Thanks,

Sales@DTMFiberWerkz.Com"

hahah they are making my kit in a few weeks once i get my new lips from ccw...been talking to them for a few months now. Didnt want anyone to know because i wanted to be the only one. (plus you guys might not like my design..ha)
      11-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #60
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cools20
Quote:

"Hello Matt,

Thanks,

Sales@DTMFiberWerkz.Com"

hahah they are making my kit in a few weeks once i get my new lips from ccw...been talking to them for a few months now. Didnt want anyone to know because i wanted to be the only one. (plus you guys might not like my design..ha)
Cool. Can you provide us a with a description of it? Any concept drawings?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #61
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Nick
I looked up "ignition motor group" and they had some more pictures of it on their facebook page.
Any chance you could hit me with the link for this? I'm currently traveling and it's tough to sift through on my phone. If I can order this kit while I'm away on business I may.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #62
cools20
A God
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Can you provide us a with a description of it? Any concept drawings?
it actually was looking similar to the ignition motor group widebody so actually if they have a mold and its around 1500$ i might just do that because i dont want to mess up my wrap. But the front fender would look like the rocket bunny frs style and the rear like the liberty walk m3 fender just not as wide.

also emailed them to see if this kit will go in production! ^

Last edited by cools20; 12-01-2014 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 04:16 AM   #63
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cools20 View Post
it actually was looking similar to the ignition motor group widebody so actually if they have a mold and its around 1500$ i might just do that because i dont want to mess up my wrap. But the front fender would look like the rocket bunny frs style and the rear like the liberty walk m3 fender just not as wide.

also emailed them to see if this kit will go in production! ^
Let me know what they say. What was the email you used? And if the DTM kit looks like that I will be thrilled, just concerned about quality because they have a bad reputation.

Does anyone have any experience in installing these kits? What does it entail?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 04:25 AM   #64
cools20
A God
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me know what they say. What was the email you used? And if the DTM kit looks like that I will be thrilled, just concerned about quality because they have a bad reputation.

Does anyone have any experience in installing these kits? What does it entail?

http://ignition-mg.com/
Emailed off of there website ^ and also sent them a message on fb.
Cant entirely read Japanese but im pretty sure i pressed the send button haha
Yeah i was just reading a few bad things about dtm so hopefully they can produce something good if i cant get ignition to make me one..

and as for installing fenders its really only taping off what you want to cut and using a dremal or something and cutting it even, drilling holes and putting the bolts in. Doesn't seem like it would be very hard, but fitment might not always be the best.

Last edited by cools20; 12-01-2014 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #65
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cools20 View Post
http://ignition-mg.com/
Emailed off of there website ^ and also sent them a message on fb.
Cant entirely read Japanese but im pretty sure i pressed the send button haha
Yeah i was just reading a few bad things about dtm so hopefully they can produce something good if i cant get ignition to make me one..

and as for installing fenders its really only taping off what you want to cut and using a dremal or something and cutting it even, drilling holes and putting the bolts in. Doesn't seem like it would be very hard, but fitment might not always be the best.
Let me know if they're doing a run of them, because depending on cost I may get in on that too. Anyone else interested in a group buy?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #66
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I would consider it. I really want to see better closer up pictures. I'm not sure I like the rear over fenders yet. They seem too exaggerated and go too far forward close to the doors. Fronts look fine, would they work with the 1M replica front bumper?
Appreciate 0