BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

1 Series Competitors

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

V.S.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:44 AM   #2
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I'll play,...

VS

But a friggin Hyundai? Come on man, that was uncalled for.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 02:10 AM   #3
Mikebuzzsaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpinewhite BMW e46 M3

Well... are you comparing the 1-series by price, or best two door, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

The main competition will be between 135 and Evo. Rest are all boring. Camaro is an 09 model.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

I'll play too, for similar money, I'm liking this...but you know there's going to be dealer premiums for a long time, then there's the high gas price problem.

And if you know anything about this car, its Brilliant.

What a beautiful car. Bigger Version http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...6663193&size=l

The ergonomics and appearance of the Eos interior just destroys the 1 series.

Bigger Version. http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1758452&size=o
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

How about this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I'll play too, for similar money, I'm liking this...but you know there's goung to be dealer premiums for a long time, then there's the high gas price problem.

Bigger Version. http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1758452&size=o
Agree on the Camaro.

Interesting you think so about the Eos. I own a Jetta, which has the same interior. I haven't sat in a 1er yet, although I did peek in quite a few when we were in Germany a few months ago... I personally think they're fairly comparable, although I do like the dash lines of the VAG Product better, and find the dash of the 1er to be more broken up and less of a whole. I don't know about quality of materials, as I didn't sit in one. It is possible the VAG products do better here, as they almost always have.

But I was pretty impressed with the new 3er; I think the interior is a bit better designed than the Jetta/GTI/Eos, although materials are no better, I preferred it.

I must say I would be a bit disappointed if the 1er is a step down, inside, from my GLI... But I won't care so much, because I'll be enjoying RWD too much
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
Interesting you think so about the Eos. I own a Jetta, which has the same interior. I haven't sat in a 1er yet, although I did peek in quite a few when we were in Germany a few months ago... I personally think they're fairly comparable, although I do like the dash lines of the VAG Product better, and find the dash of the 1er to be more broken up and less of a whole. I don't know about quality of materials, as I didn't sit in one. It is possible the VAG products do better here, as they almost always have.
Yeah, the problem came about when BMW abandoned their traditional interior design language with the E90. I remember being so horrified when the E90 first came out when I saw how terrible the dash layout was, especially without navigation. Then they refuse to admit they are wrong with idrive.

Any of the MK5 Volkswagen interiors are superior to the current 3 and 1 series, especially the R32/Eos/GLI/GTI. Plus they got that new badass Siemens VDO RNS510 touchscreen navigation with Bluetooth, SD card reader, 30gb hard drive, ability to interface with a rear looking camera.

Video -

That just puts BMW's tail between its legs and sends it crying home to momma. Retarded idrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

OMG G37 ALL THE WAY!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Bourbon
Member?
Rep
Drives:

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #12
Vornado
A swell fellow
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hot air balloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
OMG G37 ALL THE WAY!!!

ZOMG!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
Agree on the Camaro.
He was showing the Challanger btw. :tongue:
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #14
S4 Driver
Rep
Drives:

I say the A3, G37 and CTS are the only real competitors
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #15
Sixspeed J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

WTF? From my point of view there won't be alot of cross shopping of those vehicles with the 1 series. 95% of them I wouldn't even take a second look at. I am pretty sure at least 4 of them they don't even make anymore. You know what on second thought I think I just might save myself the trouble and get that great Pontiac I always had my eye on. Or what I'll just sell my soul and buy that beautiful Hyundai. Dang it is just to hard to decide!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
Sperm
Rep
Drives: 2002 Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebuzzsaw View Post
Well... are you comparing the 1-series by price, or best two door, etc.
YEah, what do you mean? And some of those are a real stretch to compete with anything.

HEllo fellow NASIOCer
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #17
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Yeah, the problem came about when BMW abandoned their traditional interior design language with the E90. I remember being so horrified when the E90 first came out when I saw how terrible the dash layout was, especially without navigation. Then they refuse to admit they are wrong with idrive.

Any of the MK5 Volkswagen interiors are superior to the current 3 and 1 series, especially the R32/Eos/GLI/GTI. Plus they got that new badass Siemens VDO RNS510 touchscreen navigation with Bluetooth, SD card reader, 30gb hard drive, ability to interface with a rear looking camera.

Video -

That just puts BMW's tail between its legs and sends it crying home to momma. Retarded idrive.
As cool as that stuff is, it doesn't really make any difference to me. I'm buying the car to enjoy driving it, not to watch DVDs in the car. I do admit, the electronics are pretty cool. Just not for me i guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #18
Mikebuzzsaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpinewhite BMW e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperm View Post
YEah, what do you mean? And some of those are a real stretch to compete with anything.

HEllo fellow NASIOCer

LOL yea, hey to you too!

But yea, some of this cars cant be compared to the 1-series because it's not in the same price range, or class, or anything.... it's like me comparing a civic to a M3 just cause they both have two doors.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I don't want to offend anyone, but isn't VW in really bad shape?

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/...lling_out.html

The have recently been crowned the recall king.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #20
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskurn View Post
I don't want to offend anyone, but isn't VW in really bad shape?

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/...lling_out.html

The have recently been crowned the recall king.
Naah, I don't think so. Recall for brake light switch, big whoop. I give the recall crown to 'yota for the sludge

As to whether VW will stick around... Who knows, I suspect they will. The MKIV's had reliability issues, and this really hurt the traditional customer who viewed VW as a car with longevity, as well as public opinion. The new MKV's are great, but too expensive to produce, so VAG is looking at reducing cost for the MKVI.

VAG also bet too much $$ on the Phaeton and the Touareg is also expensive to produce, and costly. Passat sales are way down--no wonder, it's boring as heck. Sales are down of those models (well, the Phaeton is gone).

The Rabbit is selling VERY well, though, as is the GTI and the EOS. Those recent sales numbers have been quite positive.

I don't think VW is going anywhere... But the next few years will make or break that, I think. VW needs to stop pushing the upper ends lux boundaries, and get back to being a "Volks Wagen" IMO. I do think they've built some brand identity on nice interiors, and as such should stick with that... But $50k+ VWs? Naah. Focus on the redesign of the bread and butter Jetta, pushing the fantastic new TDIs, and deliver one in the new small SUV (Tiguan).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #21
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Video -

In some ways, yes. Personally, I'm not a fan of touch-screen anything... I had a touchscreen NAV in my old Land Rover LR3, and the lag of the screen, plus the constant need to deal with fingerprints, was annoying. (The NAV system itself was quite good, tho, and thank goodness for standard radio and HVAC buttons!).

I'm totally with you on idrive: it sux, plain and simple.

But honestly, while I do occasionally listen to the radio in the car, I don't need all that mumbo jumbo. I actually like manual climate control. Give me old fashioned knobs and wheels, and not to many of 'em. I tend to leave the radio off and listen to the revs climb and fall, silent in my thoughts. In my drive of the 3er's, I liked the non-idrive 3er interior a lot; I thought it was just as enjoyable, and in some ways more enjoyable, to interface with than my MKV. But remember, I'm primarily focused on the driving experience, and excepting the bizarre operation of the turnsignal, I got along with the 3 quite well.

The interior certainly wasn't $10k more enjoyable than my MKV, more comaprable, IMO... But the chassis was worth it:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #22
GreenMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

That's the interesting thing about the 1-series... There really aren't many 2+2 rwd coupes that are going to be priced about the same...

The only "real" rwd competitors IMO are the Ford Mustang and Mazda RX-8... and of course the BMW 3 series

Once you start opening up the doors for 2 seaters and FWD cars that changes things, but I don't consider FWD and RWD cars true competitors...

Mahlzeit, buying a used 993 instead of a new 1-series is an interesting scenerio.
Appreciate 0