BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
mrbenzzamg
Private
Rep
Drives:

2008 TT

Im thinking about going to pick up a 2008 audi tt coupe this week 7 months is way too long to wait at which point ill find someone to take my TT then i can take my time getting a 135i and do european delivery. What do you think? It sure is a good looking car!

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenzzamg View Post
Im thinking about going to pick up a 2008 audi tt coupe this week 7 months is way too long to wait at which point ill find someone to take my TT then i can take my time getting a 135i and do european delivery. What do you think? It sure is a good looking car!

Good looking car. WAY over priced for the 3.2. The 2.0t is only available in FWD. Not for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Good looking car. WAY over priced for the 3.2. The 2.0t is only available in FWD. Not for me.
The new Audi TT is a gorgeous car. Haven't driven it but I'm starting to see them on the road and they just pack a lot of authority.
But MrRoboto hit the main issue exactly.

Audi N/A has absolutely no power with Ingolstadt- we get weird penalizing packages. For example, the 2.0t with quattro is the winning choice- and not available in the US....as yet..and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.
The other thing you might think about is the financing. Audi, because of its relatively poor-to-medium residuals takes that into the equation when devising finance plans. At the customers expense.

I'd say unless you can afford the V6/quattro combination, waiting for the 1-er is the smart move.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

I saw one on the road for the first time the other day - it was drop dead gorgeous.

I actually considered getting one in early July.

The knocks against it are: rear seat is useless, it's overpriced in my opinion (especially the 3.2), the drivetrain configuration choices are funky and expensive for something acceptable, and worst of all, it's an Audi, or more specifically, a dressed up VW. I don't know why I turn my nose up at that, but I guess I just can't get over paying so much for a dressed up VW... I'll probably get flamed for this, but at least I am admitting my prejudice...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
The new Audi TT is a gorgeous car. ..............
The other thing you might think about is the financing. Audi, because of its relatively poor-to-medium residuals takes that into the equation when devising finance plans. At the customers expense......
The reason I will never own an Audi.
(Not that I want one, but I have looked in the past.)
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I've said it here before...model-for-model Audi is the best looking best assembled German car line. (imho)
But because Audi/VW is so poorly managed on both sides of the pond (no power in N/A and weird familial/political skullduggery in Germany)
it never can quite get it together to act in a reasonable coordinated way in regards to the way it is positioned in the US and
how slow it is to respond to the American consumer.

Sometimes...as in the case of the new TT, you have to ask yourself why is there always some fatal flaw with what's on offer? Why time after time does Audi in N/A bring out a model that is wonderful and then watch it (almost deliberately it seems) be sabotaged in the marketplace by poor materials, awful finance plans, restrictive option packages and a piss-poor uneven national dealership network?

I've backed away from believing Audi when it proclaims it's newest plans to "compete" with BMW when the reality is they don't really seem to be ecquipped to fix the obvious problems...which begin at the very top of the company.

:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

its definatly a nice car but dosent match a 135 in performance
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I tried talking She Who Must Be Obeyed into getting a lightly used A8L for her car (an AWD big saloon for highway driving), there are 'useful' Audis. But as good as the Audis look - every time I open the hood on one and see the engine ahead of the centerline of the front 'axle', I wince.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 12:58 AM   #9
IvtecEM
#1 Addict
Rep
Drives:

I would wait its only a few more months and when you run into a few 135's in the streets YOU WILL REGRET IT.........
      08-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #10
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My family owns almost all VAG autos. My dad is a huge fan of Audis.

But the big reason he chooses Audi is a big reason I DON'T: their quattro system and suspension tuning biases the vehicle heavily towards stability. They put too much power to the front, and then tune in more understeer than I'd like.

Supposedly the S5 was supposed to start reversing that trend (on NON RS cars, at least) but the Audi execs didn't quite get all the way to a potential BMW competitor for fear of losing core sales.

Otherwise, I think the TT is nice. Looks great, and VAG interiors are the best in the biz, by a significant margin, IMO. It is a HUGE bummer we don't get the 2.0T quattro: the 2.0 is by far a better choice than the 3.2. As stated above, Audi is always doing weird stuff like that.
Appreciate 0