BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #89
___whoosh___
Private First Class
10
Rep
157
Posts

Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (3)




snagged mine from ECS Tuning
delivered in 2 days


Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #90
Acheron83
Private First Class
Acheron83's Avatar
South Africa
23
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: F22 M240i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Got my hands on a set of Blackline tails

Old on the right, new on the left:


Lights off:


Lights on:
__________________
2016 F22 M240i
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #91
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9005
Rep
22,873
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron83 View Post
Got my hands on a set of Blackline tails...

The Blacklines really makes your car "pop".
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #92
ray-ray89
Private
United_States
11
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: Red 2009 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Do you still have your old ones? I need a pair one my led is out
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #93
Acheron83
Private First Class
Acheron83's Avatar
South Africa
23
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: F22 M240i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-ray89 View Post
Do you still have your old ones? I need a pair one my led is out
I do, but unfortunately I'm little far away from you
__________________
2016 F22 M240i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #94
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9005
Rep
22,873
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-ray89 View Post
Do you still have your old ones? I need a pair one my led is out
You should go to a bmw dealer... while they were not recalled, there was a "service action" and you might be able to have bmw replace them for free. Its worth asking.

Or... just upgrade to the Blacklines.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #95
m_thompson
Major
m_thompson's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
1,323
Posts

Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New England, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [5.00]
I installed Blacklines from Schmiedmann on my '09 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i. Total time was about 30 minutes. Looks very nice.
Attached Images
 
__________________
'09 128i - Black Sapphire Metallic\Coral Red\Glacier Silver\N51 DISA\6MT\Navigation\Premium\M-Sport\Heated seats\Xenon Headlights\iPod\Smartphone\Euro Delivery

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #96
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
45
Rep
482
Posts

Drives: E88 and F32
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

I just installed mine tonight, thanks David for the DIY.
Just a quick questions, how tight should the three screws be or does it even matter? I know for the third light, it matters but I just want to make sure, I wouldn't want to find my taillights cracked.
In addition, can someone further explain how to make the fitting of the taillights near perfect? Do you just kind of have to hold it as you screw the bolts on?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #97
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9005
Rep
22,873
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbimmer19 View Post
I just installed mine tonight, thanks David for the DIY.
Just a quick questions, how tight should the three screws be or does it even matter? I know for the third light, it matters but I just want to make sure, I wouldn't want to find my taillights cracked.
In addition, I noticed the fitting of the lights are not perfect, that's normal, right? What I'm talking about is gaps between the car body and the light.
Thanks guys, these lights absolutely rock.
Not too tight, bc you can damage the lights. Just snug enough to compress the rubber gasket and make sure to water test those seals.

We are probably talking like ~8 ft/lbs tightness.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #98
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
45
Rep
482
Posts

Drives: E88 and F32
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Not too tight, bc you can damage the lights. Just snug enough to compress the rubber gasket and make sure to water test those seals.

We are probably talking like ~8 ft/lbs tightness.
Thank you David.
I think I'll try to readjust the fitting; have my friend hold the lights for me while I screw it in or something.
weeeeeeeeeeeeee
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #99
m_thompson
Major
m_thompson's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
1,323
Posts

Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New England, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbimmer19 View Post
I think I'll try to readjust the fitting; have my friend hold the lights for me while I screw it in or something.
I used some pieces of a cereal box between the lights and the bumper to hold the lights in position until the nuts were tightened. Worked nicely.
__________________
'09 128i - Black Sapphire Metallic\Coral Red\Glacier Silver\N51 DISA\6MT\Navigation\Premium\M-Sport\Heated seats\Xenon Headlights\iPod\Smartphone\Euro Delivery

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #100
Acheron83
Private First Class
Acheron83's Avatar
South Africa
23
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: F22 M240i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
I used some pieces of a cereal box between the lights and the bumper to hold the lights in position until the nuts were tightened. Worked nicely.
+1. Exactly what I did
__________________
2016 F22 M240i
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #101
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
45
Rep
482
Posts

Drives: E88 and F32
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
I used some pieces of a cereal box between the lights and the bumper to hold the lights in position until the nuts were tightened. Worked nicely.
Thank you for the tip, I really appreciate it. I shall try that method right now..

edit: the fitting is not perfect, but much better than before. Brilliant idea, I didn't think pieces of cargo box would hold it up haha.

On a side note, I noticed the far side wires on each side of the lights face opposite of each other. For example, the wire on the left taillight faces down and the wire on the right taillight faces up. If someone is bored, you can check this and let me know if that's normal. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter but just found it odd

Last edited by sonicbimmer19; 12-06-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #102
m_thompson
Major
m_thompson's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
1,323
Posts

Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New England, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbimmer19 View Post
On a side note, I noticed the far side wires on each side of the lights face opposite of each other. For example, the wire on the left taillight faces down and the wire on the right taillight faces up. If someone is bored, you can check this and let me know if that's normal. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter but just found it odd
On mine the left one was the same as the original, the right one was upside down from the original.
__________________
'09 128i - Black Sapphire Metallic\Coral Red\Glacier Silver\N51 DISA\6MT\Navigation\Premium\M-Sport\Heated seats\Xenon Headlights\iPod\Smartphone\Euro Delivery

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #103
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
45
Rep
482
Posts

Drives: E88 and F32
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
On mine the left one was the same as the original, the right one was upside down from the original.
Cool, thanks for letting me/us know! seems like that's normal.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #104
Venom
Colonel
Venom's Avatar
United_States
306
Rep
2,375
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Bay, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Thanks for the DIY! Just finished this install myself! Woo-hoo!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #105
sparkyblue
Captain
sparkyblue's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
737
Posts

Drives: E82 135i & E92 M3 & E90 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I agree!

Thanks for the DIY. Just did this install myself. Probably the easiest mod yet haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 01:57 AM   #106
johngrossi
Second Lieutenant
johngrossi's Avatar
8
Rep
235
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i e82
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (1)

I can't wait for my blacklines!
__________________
PE exhaust, tints...more to come
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #107
new2the3
Lieutenant Colonel
new2the3's Avatar
155
Rep
1,909
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Which seals are you referring to check for water proofness?
__________________
2009 135i: AW/CR Aluminum Trim, 6 speed, M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, Ipod, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance SSK, BMW Performance Exhaust, BMW Performance Grills E93 M3 FSB
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #108
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9005
Rep
22,873
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
Which seals are you referring to check for water proofness?
The black foam seal that seals the tail lights to the car body. If the tail light is not tight enough... water can leak into the car. Also make sure the rubber flap/seal of the tail light is routed correctly to "deflect" water around the trunk seal.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #109
new2the3
Lieutenant Colonel
new2the3's Avatar
155
Rep
1,909
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The black foam seal that seals the tail lights to the car body. If the tail light is not tight enough... water can leak into the car. Also make sure the rubber flap/seal of the tail light is routed correctly to "deflect" water around the trunk seal.
Thank you Dack,

Do you have an up close picture of this area - the rubber flap/seal of the tail light is routed correctly to "deflect" water around the trunk seal.

I just got my blacklines installed today and I think they are good to go but I just want to make sure the water will be deflected before I go for a car wash!
__________________
2009 135i: AW/CR Aluminum Trim, 6 speed, M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, Ipod, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance SSK, BMW Performance Exhaust, BMW Performance Grills E93 M3 FSB
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #110
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9005
Rep
22,873
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
Thank you Dack,

Do you have an up close picture of this area - the rubber flap/seal of the tail light is routed correctly to "deflect" water around the trunk seal.

I just got my blacklines installed today and I think they are good to go but I just want to make sure the water will be deflected before I go for a car wash!

Page 1 of this thread...
Attached Images
   
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST