BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Should I Lemon Law my 135i???

Hey fellow 1Addicts,

I have my car in the shop once again. This is the 5th time the 1er has been in the shop for the same exact symptoms. They have replaced the low pressure fuel pump, coil and plug in bank 2, and told me that my gas smells funny so far

The car goes into limp mode after driving at freeway speeds. It almost always happens when I have been cruising at 60-70 constantly for a few miles. Once in limp mode the car rides really rough and at idle the whole car shakes.

Anyways, in the 12 years I have been driving I have never had to take a car into the shop until this car. I am getting very frustrated and wondering what I can do?

Should I look into the Lemon law process? If so, would it be wise to hire a lawyer to help me with the process? I know that after either 3 or 4 visits to the shop for the same reason the car can be considered a Lemon.

Please help a fellow 1Addict

BTW- I love the car and do not want to part with it but driving loaners all the time is not what I call the BMW experience especially when my loaner is usually an X3

Thanks ahead in advance for your advice,

Brandon
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Is there another dealership you can try? If not, you may want to contact BMW.
      09-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-One-Da? View Post
Hey fellow 1Addicts,

I have my car in the shop once again. This is the 5th time the 1er has been in the shop for the same exact symptoms. They have replaced the low pressure fuel pump, coil and plug in bank 2, and told me that my gas smells funny so far

The car goes into limp mode after driving at freeway speeds. It almost always happens when I have been cruising at 60-70 constantly for a few miles. Once in limp mode the car rides really rough and at idle the whole car shakes.

Anyways, in the 12 years I have been driving I have never had to take a car into the shop until this car. I am getting very frustrated and wondering what I can do?

Should I look into the Lemon law process? If so, would it be wise to hire a lawyer to help me with the process? I know that after either 3 or 4 visits to the shop for the same reason the car can be considered a Lemon.

BTW- I love the car and do not want to part with it but driving loaners all the time is not what I call the BMW experience especially when my loaner is usually an X3

Brandon
just curious, what cars have you been driving that you've never had to go to the shop? i've had to take all my cars to the shop. the infiniti a lot less than the chevy though.

seems that performance and reliability are inversly proportional.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Is there another dealership you can try? If not, you may want to contact BMW.
There is not another dealership for about 140 miles from me. I could try another one but it is not very easy for me to drive the car 140 miles to another shop when the car is in limp mode. If there was an easier way to get to another dealership I would:iono:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Good luck with the lemon law thing, my family had a lot of trouble trying to build a case for it on their leased dodge. They had it in the shop for weeks at a time and usually once a month. Funny story related to loaners. What they leased was a farm pick-up (Dakota) and they kept on getting minivans as loaners. They told them they needed a pick-up because it was a farm truck that they leased. They would never give them a pickup as a loaner. After about the sixth time they decided to just use the minivan for what you would use a farm pickup for and they put a new born calf in the minivan. From then on they got pickups, but they were never able to get the dealer to take the truck back. They are finally out of the lease and we will never even look at a dodge again.

Your situation is regretable and I hope BMW handles it better than Dodge handled my family's situation.
      09-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Just out of curiosity, do you take all your mods off before u go in?
      09-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
just curious, what cars have you been driving that you've never had to go to the shop? i've had to take all my cars to the shop. the infiniti a lot less than the chevy though.

seems that performance and reliability are inversly proportional.
1. 78' Datsun Pickup
2. 89' Honda Accord
3. 95' Acura Integra
4. 97' Acura CL 2.2
5. 05' Honda S2000
6. 03' Subaru WRX
7. 06' Acura TL
8. 05' Nissan Altima
9. 06' Nissan Titan

I have had my fair share of cars and never had any issues besides the common things like alternator, battery, plugs, etc.

I was a little concerned with the "Euro cars are always in the shop" rumor before I purchased the 1er. As you can see I have always had Japenese cars. I don't want to say that this is common to all Euro cars but being my first one, I am a little sensitive to it:iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you take all your mods off before u go in?
Thanks for the warning and sorry to hear about how your family ws treated by Dodge

The SSTT has never been installed yet and I have actually reversed the Golf Tee mod as I did not see any noticible difference with it:iono:

I do however take out the BMS just in case but I do not see any way that it could be the issue.

By the way, I just got a call back from the dealership and they told me the I have a bad coil that needs to be replaced. Last time I had the car in the tech swapped the coils in bank 2 and bank 1. Last time the car had a misfire in bank 2 and this time it had one in bank 1 so it seems the issue followed that coil. They are ordering a new coil right now but I am stuck with an X3 for the weekend now

For the techs out there, does this seem plausable?

Thanks again for the replies:w00t:
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
BMWNA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hey fellow 1Addicts,

Brandon

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
      09-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
hansenc
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
I like how BMW is starting to step it now.

Great to see you around BMW NA!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

This is a very far reaching guess... but it's worth asking...

Have you ever put any additives in the fuel?

Better yet, maybe make a full list of verything you have done...how many miles on the car etc... who knows, somebody reading it, who really knows their sh*t could diag it right here.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks for the warning and sorry to hear about how your family ws treated by Dodge

The SSTT has never been installed yet and I have actually reversed the Golf Tee mod as I did not see any noticible difference with it:iono:

I do however take out the BMS just in case but I do not see any way that it could be the issue.

By the way, I just got a call back from the dealership and they told me the I have a bad coil that needs to be replaced. Last time I had the car in the tech swapped the coils in bank 2 and bank 1. Last time the car had a misfire in bank 2 and this time it had one in bank 1 so it seems the issue followed that coil. They are ordering a new coil right now but I am stuck with an X3 for the weekend now

For the techs out there, does this seem plausable?

Thanks again for the replies:w00t:
I hope it gets taken care of to your liking and you get your car back in a timely manner.

About the Golf Tee mod, I didn't notice much difference at first either, but it seemed like the longer I had it modded, the louder it got? Anyone else experience this?
      09-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Hey fellow 1Addicts,

This sounds a lot like what mine has done a couple of times on road trips. It usually happens when I'm below 1/4 tank of fuel, and has corrected itself every time when I've stopped and filled up.

I was operating under the assumption that it was the HPFP heating up and was waiting to take it in until there's a solid resolution. I hope that's all it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #14
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

BMW NA...a savior in our midst.

i doubt there are aoa reps cruising fourtitude
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

On cold mornings you always see the exhaust coming out of the tailpipes of cars around you. Without the golf tee mod exhaust will only come out of the right tip. IMHO it will look goofy. It is worth doing just for that. (and it is a free mod) JMHO
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

this thread, and so far, this thread alone has stood out since i was interested in the 135... thank you BMW NA for responding to a significant concern for your customer... OP let us know what happens!

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

lemon law, go for it!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #18
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I'm betting they nailed a coil that was marginal. It's a pain that it took so long to find it. I went thru something very similar with my Mazda.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #19
raolc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA View Post
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Umm... haha should we be worried about getting our warranties voided now??

cuz you know.. i was joking about all those mods on my car.. its stock, just tints
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #20
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jones View Post
BMW NA...a savior in our midst.

i doubt there are aoa reps cruising fourtitude
+1 your prolly right about that

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #21
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I may as well. For those of you who read my latest post here, my car has been in the shop for a whole day but dealer don't have an answer what has gone wrong yet. Restraint system failure, electric power loss to the roof, occasional long cranks and non-functioning auto-on headlamps. If I go through the lemon process I would probably wait to get into the new Z4M. You got a BMW for loaner? I got a Nissan Versa! :-P
      09-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #22
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA View Post
Thank you very much for the recognition.

I did get my car back last night after work. They changed out the coil in bank 1. Like I said before, they had swapped the coil that was suspect in bank 2 over to bank 1 to see if the problem followed. The problem did follow that coil so they replaced it. This is fine that they did this but I wish they would have told me that is what they did to begin with. They told me verbally and wrote down that they "replaced" the coil in bank 2 to begin with and I only found out that they swapped it when I had to take it back in for the 5th time:iono:

At this point I am willing to wait it out and see if the issue comes back but if it does I will start the arbitration process for sure.

Espressoboy- That is a very good suggestion but I have never put in any additives of any sort. I also like I mentioned before removed my BMS intake and reversed the Golf Tee mod after the first time I had to take the car in. I still have those out now and the issue came back 4 times while completely stock.

Again, thank you very much for the message BMW NA. I will keep this thread updated with any further issues.

Thanks all,

Brandon (Semi-frustrated 1er owner that now sees some light at the end of the tunnel)

BTW- I would just like to mention that without this forum I would be very lost right now. Everyone on here is great with helping when they can and giving great suggestions. I have been a member of S2ki for about 4 years previous to 1Addicts and I have not seen this sense of community for a long time in any other forum I have been a part of.

Keep it up 1Addicts:w00t:
Appreciate 0