BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
bimmer135
Rep
Drives: 135I Crimson Red

peeling clear coat!!!

My bumper was repainted due to damage done by the technician @ BMW. They offer to repaint my car. Look what happened after a few car washes. The clear coat is peeling. What can I do? or Does it look like from rock chip? or is a bad fixing job by the BMW?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Looks like the clear coat is peeling to me! I would take it back and have it fixed on their dime!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

What did they spray the clear over, grease? Take it back
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Yeah that's bullshit.

Get it fixed, but take it to the shop of "your choosing".
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
mastermav
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F82

Dealer invites painter on the spot and he touch paints the bumper without taking it apart. The process is not according to manufacture guidelines, wrong temperature, etc. And paint is prone to pealing.

I had same problem back in the days with my RSX, where I had bumper re-painted *twice* before they took the car to a body shop for week to do the job properly. The painted part has to be properly heated and cooled in controlled environment several times for the paint to settle properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
bimmer135
Rep

I am taking it to the dealer this Wednesday to tell them to fix it. Kind of worry that they might do a shitty job again. This will be my 3rd time bringing it over. Last time I have the BMW bodyshop look at it. The guy told me will only take a day or two. He said "just sand it down and repaint, very quick" Thinking about it really got me in doubt if these people down at BMW really knows what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Feyd
Major
Rep

Another thing to do would be to turn it into your insurance company and then have them fight the dealership for the money.

At least if you go this route you can take it to who you want to and get it fixed right. The bad news is that you'll have to cough up your deductible to get the claim going, but it should be returned to you when your insurance company settles with the dealership. It could take a couple months to get your money back, but at least it'll be fixed and you don't have to "get into it" with the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
bimmer135
Rep

Ok. I took it in Wednesday morning. It is done today Thursday already. Going to pick it up at 6PM.
Does it sound right? They are able to repaint the area and put clear coat on it. Did the paint even dry yet? or is this another shitty job that's gonna led to a same problem.?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer135 View Post
...or is this another shitty job that's gonna led to a same problem.?
Minor repair, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but probably this ^.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
bimmer135
Rep

Is there something I can do to protect my bumper now since I know that this might be an issue in the future? Anyone got any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

thats why I have no faith in using a BMW certified collision repair facility. they always do a lousy job.

when someone else is paying for a bodywork bill.......take it to the best shop in the area.

I see youre in NY, where did you buy it, and where was it repaired? PLEASE dont say Rallye BMW

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
bimmer135
Rep

I brought it from Hassel BMW.
The funny thing is they never give me the exact address or the exact name of the body shop. They just told me is the one down by the sunrise hwy. Next to the MINI/PRE-OWNED BMW. I am planning to drive down there one weekend just to see who they are!!!
The people/bodyshop people that i talked to prior turns out to be the different shop that's fixing my car. Apparently they have different shops does different things. I dont know if you see what I am talking about.
The service rep people there has been great. I took my car back today. It looks great so far. don't know about it 2 months later. Last time it took about 2 months, the clear coat starting to peel.
I am only thinking about the solution and prevention now. Does anyone know if it's too late for clear bra protection now? I do have rock chips on the hood area.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
bimmer135
Rep

I took the car home after the repaint. I am still very unsatisfy with their paint job. I went to a few different body shop out there. They advise I should have it repainted again because the work the dealership made is so sloppy.
I went back to my dealer. They offer to repaint the whole bumper. They will take it down, sand it down and repaint the whole bumper to "my liking".
I still don't trust them even they told me that will sent it to a different bodyshop then the last 3 times.
Is it too much for me to ask for a NEW BUMPER instead of repaint. I heart that if it's whole bumper repaint. the quality of the bumper will never be the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

If you get a new bumper, it will need to be painted! Painting a bumper is easy. Sand, base, clear, bake. Suggest you take it to a shop of your choice, not theirs.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
bimmer135
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
If you get a new bumper, it will need to be painted! Painting a bumper is easy. Sand, base, clear, bake. Suggest you take it to a shop of your choice, not theirs.
That's the main problem. I took it down to 2 body shop.
One bodyshop recommend me new bumper or repaint the whole thing.

The 2nd bodyshop recommend me to repaint the whole thing.

I honest to say I never been into this problem before, neither do i need to repaint any other cars I owned prior.

Guess. I have to shop for a few my body shop and see which shop seems more trustworthy
but thanks for your advise.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

You dont need a new bumper. Tell them youre taking it to a bodyshop of your choice. Go to James Auto Works 516 676 2934 in Glen Head. He'll repaint the whole thing, make it match, and you'll be very happy.....trust me.

You really need to make sure its a good body shop. The bumper is plastic, the fenders are metal. It could easily not match if someone does a lousy job......

They've already shown you the type of product they put out. Don't take any guff.

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0