BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

adaptive headlight issue?

Hi Guys,

I have a 135i with the adaptive lights. My car is only three months old... and I can't remember IF the lights did this before or not?

My issue is... when the light switch is in AUTO mode, ie the lights turn with the steering wheel. I noticed that when my car is parked next to a grage wall... while my passenger side light turns left and right... my drivers side light ONLY turns right(towards the pass) side. The driver's head light does NOt turn LEFT when I move the steering wheel to the left.

IS that normal?

The reason I ask this... is bc I just noticed my driver's side headlight now kid of jiggles... or shakes, as the car hits the concrete ramp into my garage. I don't think it did that before either? I am thinking the two are related.

So... can someone park the car next to a garage wall and turn the wheel and see IF the driver's headligh turns to the LEFT at all? My drivers side light only turns to the RIGHT. And only maybe three inches or so.

While the passenger side headlight will move much more! Maybe six inches or so - to the right. But it doesn't move that much to the left.

bye,
David
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
theanhdy
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

I think they engineered it that way so you don't blind the driver coming from the opposite direction. I remember reading something about that on here awhile back. My driver side does turn left, but just slightly.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I could have sworn my driver side light would urn just a bit too - when it was brand new three months ago. Then a few weeks ago... I would notice the driver side light "jiggle" as I would pull into my garage complex at night... and thats when I started to notice how the driver side light does not move at all to the left. It only moves just a tad to the right.

I guess I will ask my dealer about this.

Thanks,
David
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
wnta135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i

I just went out to the garage and tried this. Mine is a US spec 135i and the driver's side light does move left when the steering wheel is turned left. The passenger side light moves to the right when the wheel is turned right.

I suspect the jiggle comes from the headlight vertical aim control mechanism attached to the front suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I have a US spec car too. I took delivery in Germany thru BMW's Military Sales program.

I thought my drivers light DID move to the left when it was new. But now it does not for some reason. I suspect the jiggle has something to do wih it. yes, my light switch is left in "auto" mode. Like I said before teh driver light ONLY moves to teh right and just barely. Like two inches or so. While the passenger side really moves to the right!

Thanks,
David
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
also, if you watch closely when you turn and slow to stop - even with wheels slightly turned - the lights turn straight - even tho the wheel is should have it pointed left / right - she knows you have stopped and need your lights full front!

OR - when you reverse - and they are at an angle - the go straight too.. fun to watch in the dark as she 'comes' alive and moves her pretty little eyes...

also the turn lights both turn on when you revers as well..

many night know this but I'm pumped.. just filed taxes and now it's time to get my stage2 on !!!! have appt for 23 or 26th have to call back to confirm appt - had vm from SA today - YHIPPE
      05-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Everything that 135iUSN said above is true. My jiggle has gone away, but the passenger light still turns more the the driver side. So...

I was at my local BMW dealer today and asked him about the adpative head lights. He wasn't sure at first... but he had a tech bulletin on his desk explaining how the system works. Basically just like every has said above. But the biggest info for me was...

The driver's head light will only move towards the passenger side. The passenger side headlight will also only move to the right! Also... the driver side headlight only will turn six degrees while the passenger side will turn 12 degrees.

I think someone also said in the latest software upgrade the lights "move" quicker when turning now.

Hope this helps someone out in the future. Just wanted to update everyone. There was nothing wrong with my car. I suspect the jiggle was the body sensor binding some as it moved. Now its all working fine.

bye
David

Last edited by Dackelone; 05-07-2010 at 04:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
ULTM135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 12 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Everything that 135iUSN said above is true. My jiggle has gone away, but the passenger light still turns more the the driver side. So...

I was at my local BMW dealer today and asked him about the adpative head lights. He wasn't sure at first... but he had a tech bulletin on his desk explaining how the system works. Basically just like every has said above. But the biggest info for me was...

The driver's head light will only move towards the passenger side. The passenger side headlight will also only move to the right! Also... the driver side headlight only will turn six degrees while the passenger side will turn 12 degrees.

I think someone also said in the latest software upgrade the lights "move" quicker when turning now.

Hope this helps someone out in the future. Just wanted to update everyone. There was nothing wrong with my car. I suspect the jiggle was the body sensor binding some as it moved. Now its all working fine.

bye
David
Great info, I was wondering about this too...I had a feeling that it's normal passenger side moves more than the driver side. But thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

IF you do some ZIG ZAGS, hard left and rights on a deserted dark road... you can really see BOTH headlights pivot left and right. But the passanger headlight moves more like I said before.

IF you test the lights while parked next to a grage wall.. only the passenger side headlight will turn. BUT if you steer left right hard while driving at a moderate speed like 2mph or so... you WILL see the lights move alot! Of course... the headlight switch MUST be set on AUTO! lol :"))
Appreciate 0