BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Brandonteb
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Service Problems

I'm just curious to see if the situation I am going to describe below has happened to anyone else. If so what did you do or would you do?

I have 3300 miles until my scheduled first service/oil change. I will be driving to Indy for the 500 next weekend, which should bring me within 1900-2000 miles of my service. I wanted to get my dealer to schedule my service immediately after I get back because the following week I will be heading to Montreal for the F1 race and a 7 day road trip following the race. I told this to the service advisor, and then he proceeded to tell me that he will not schedule anything until I am within 1250 miles or 30 days from a year. So based on my schedule I will be within 500 miles and 8 days from both cutoffs, yet he won't work with me. I told him that I will definitely go beyond my mileage while on the trip. He then stated that "It is a very bad idea to go beyond the recommended mileage" (DUH) and told me to take a day off my vacation to get the oil changed at a dealership near wherever I am at that time. I am not going to lose a vacation day to getting my oil changed, and I feel that this type of service is unacceptable.

Sorry about the long story, but I just want to see what everyones thoughts are about what I should do. Thanks in advance.
      05-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Well..tbh Im getting my oil changed at or before 5k miles on mine whether bmw wants to or not, thats just what the car should have period. I realize that bmw states the car doesnt "need" an oil change until so n so miles or whatever, but Im gonna go with tradition, any kind of performance car like this should have its oil and filter changed at 5k rpm. Thereafter every 5k miles unless after checking it doesnt seem to need it at all, but the first change is crucial in my eyes. Just get it done at a shop you trust, supply them with the oil (motul, total quartz, etc.) n it shouldnt cost u more then $75-80 total with the oil. No worries =D
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Brandon,

IF I were you - I would take this to the service manager and get yourself a new SA. This is a reasonable request, and any dealer should be flexable. Take up the chain of command and see what the SM says. IF he says the same BS... I would look for anther dealer for your service needs. AND I would write BMW NA a nice juicy letter telling them about your experience @dealer #1.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

" I am within 1250 miles or 30 days from a year"

About a month ago, I was informed by my SA that you need to be below 2k, just like you know. And then I was at 2.2k they wanted to schedule my appointment for following week so I have a guranteed spot on any day I want.. I'd not think that this changed in 1 month.... but this is bmw, and it may have changed.... a policy change since bmw picks up the tab on these maintanence items..
      05-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Everything in this country runs on profit, so if theyre offering these maintenance services for FREE than yes they will go by their small print details as to when and how these services will be completed to the T. Honestly, things like an oil change you shouldnt wait on them to take care of, get it done by a trusted shop with good oil for under $70 every 5k and have that off ur mind. Then whenever your car tells you its ready to have bmw oil change service, take it in and get a free one, just dont get another change within say 3k miles of whenever you're gonna be ready for a free changeup, thatd be wasted money. But like if they say you dont get ur first till what is it, 13k miles? Fuck that, get everything changed at 5k, 10k miles then let them at 13k miles and then change it every 5k miles from there and so on. So u get a free one every 3 changes basically

No reason to read to far into this, hardly worth getting worked up about or soiling your relation with ur dealer, unless theres oodles of other reputable bmw dealers in ur area. Now if theyre being assholes about it or snearing, etc. THEN you can take it up with BMWNA, but if theyre just following their protocol, fuck it and get it done at a shop, this isnt a $500 maintenance we're talking here
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

They will not change the oil free in less than a year, or mileage. We do not put a lot of miles on the Vehicle, and I paid for one at 6 months, and on the Anniversary date, they paid for it....BMW will not reimburse them otherwise. Just get it done if you are worried, or wait until you get back.
Appreciate 0