BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
how to put car on jack stands?!

greetings,
last weekend I had planned to remove my two front wheels and put the car on jack stands when I realized once the car was up on the jack that there was no place to rest the car on. there seemed to be no hard frame visible at least as far as I could tell. was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible and how to achieve this. I am sure there is a simple solution and I will feel like an idiot afterwards. thanks in advance...
      05-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It depends a bit on your jack, there is a center jacking point both in the front and the back but getting to the one in the front takes a low jack. Mine is not that low so I either have to use a little 2x4 ramp (or just drive up on a 2x piece of lumber) to reach the center front one or jack it my other way. If you jack from the rear jacking point on the side, you will lift that whole side of the car. So you can put the stand on the front on that side. After you lift both front sides onto stands you can jack the differential (not the differential cover) in the back, the rear center jacking location, to get both sides in the rear on stands.

You also need something to put in the jacking points on the sides. I use 3/4 baltic birch plywood blocks. Others use 1x1 steel pieces or you can buy a commercial device.

Jim
      05-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
It depends a bit on your jack, there is a center jacking point both in the front and the back but getting to the one in the front takes a low jack. Mine is not that low so I either have to use a little 2x4 ramp (or just drive up on a 2x piece of lumber) to reach the center front one or jack it my other way. If you jack from the rear jacking point on the side, you will lift that whole side of the car. So you can put the stand on the front on that side. After you lift both front sides onto stands you can jack the differential (not the differential cover) in the back, the rear center jacking location, to get both sides in the rear on stands.

You also need something to put in the jacking points on the sides. I use 3/4 baltic birch plywood blocks. Others use 1x1 steel pieces or you can buy a commercial device.

Jim
thanks Jim,
first off, I just needed to put the front up on stands. so if I understand what you are saying is to jack the car up enough so you can slide a stand under the other one on the same side? I thought about that but you would have to jack the car up so high to be able to do that. plus now if you have to jack the opposite side you would have to reverse the same procedure on the other side and I can't imagine how that is going to work with car being so unbalanced. can you elaborate a bit more?
      05-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Ruffan
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
The only safe way is to jack up the front using the front center jacking point. Search on this forum as there is much talk about the location, but it's basically directly under the engine. There is a jacking point in the middle of the plastic engine undertray. Drive up on small ramps and get your jack under that point to lift the entire front of the car.

Don't use the rear jacking points to do this as it's too unstable and unsafe.
      05-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I do not see anything unstable and unsafe about jacking the rear jacking point. When you do, you will see that the side of the car almost comes up evenly - at least that is the way it works on my convertible. So you don't have to lift it real high, maybe an inch or two higher in the back than it is at the front. I agree that if your couple does not come up pretty evenly this might not work so well but I can tell you from experience that a 128i convertible does not go up much more in the back than it goes up in the front when jacking from the rear jacking point. It doesn't hurt anything to try it and see. I would jack until the rear wheel leaves the ground, check to see where the front is, it will probably be still on the ground but obviously up and then jack a little more and see if the front doesn't come off the ground. That is the way it works for me.

I don't see anything "unstable or unsafe" about this approach. The jack is well within it's range of motion when I do this. I block the wheel on the ground, have the car in gear, and set the parking brake to prevent movement. I was a little surprised the front comes up so quickly when you jack the back but that is the way BMW arranged the jacking points, it is not anything I did. I am using a jack rated more than the car weighs so it is also not overloaded.

When you let the back down on the side you started and move to the other side it will also not go all the way to the ground. Or it will only lightly go down (I can't remember which). When you start to jack the other side in the back, it may come up a little quicker but if I remember right by the time you get the other side in the back up of the ground, the front will be well up and off the ground shortly afterwards - like it works on the first side. You have all 4 wheels off the round at that point. But one is supported by the stand so it is not going anywhere. I do not leave it in this position for longer than it takes to get the stand under it. And I certainly don't go under the car until it is supported by stands.

While I see nothing wrong with the side jacking method, I made little 2x4 ramps because it is quicker and seems better to just jack in the center in the front. I see jacking in the center as more of a speed issue than anything else. I believe as long as you use the normal safety precautions (jack well within it's capacity for height and weight, movement of the vehicle blocked, don't go under while it is on the jack) either way of jacking is stable and safe.

Jim
      05-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
ahhhh, the front center jacking point. that's what I was looking for. thanks guys!