BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

128i First Mod Trifecta

So thanks to this forum and a bit of other research, I finally decided on the combo for my first performance mods (2008 128i coupe 6MT):

AFE MagnumForce Stage 2 Cold Air intake, Pro 5-R Black

aFe 135i Cat Back Exhaust BMW E82/E88

BMS Power Box

Thanks to all on the forum, and to this video (30 seconds of audio sold me on the aFe exhaust)

Question re: cat back vs axle back? I realize axle back is only basically the muffler, since it's from the rear axle back. But why when I see a product like aFe's "axle-back"... the photo always shows a cat-back?

If anyone's got suggestions, known variables, or general advice on installation that would be great. Im puuuuumped!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
zoomnad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4si "M" suspension

Let me know how you put the exhaust for a 135i on your 128i! I'm not being a smart-ass, just want to know.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

So you picked an oiled intake that makes little to no power while killing your MAF, based an exhaust purchase on a sound clip from an entirely different engine, and got software that does little except make your gas pedal jerky?

Bravo! Now you just need to get 19s with run flats in a staggered setup.
      06-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomnad View Post
Let me know how you put the exhaust for a 135i on your 128i! I'm not being a smart-ass, just want to know.
Thanks man for not being... well you know... like the other two posters here with too much time on their hands .

I was under the impression that this exhaust was compatible, but I still haven't found a reputable source to tell me for sure. Only that when i search the product it shows compatibility with the E82 128i. gotta get in touch with the manufacturer when i get a chance. I'll keep ya posted though
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Auto View Post
Can you elaborate with some actual knowledge that might help me.... or is this what this community is about? you get points or something for each post?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

most of the time the photos are of a "generic" pic of the product (typically they have the disclaimer)....I can't blame you for the exhaust considering the options for the 128i are slim..(unless you pay an arm and a kidney)...but uhh yeah that BMS powerbox has to go somewhere. There are a bunch of threads showing it doesn't necessarily make your car faster or add power-just feeeeeeeeeeels better- so my best guess would be to go with an AA or evolve tune which both have proven to add power...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
It's bad enough we have to take comments from the "should have got a 135" crowd, but now we've started feeding on our own instead of giving meaningful, helpful, cogent feed-back.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

135i exhaust will work, but you will either need to cut your stock mids or your new aftermarket muffler. I chose to cut my mids because i'll redo the entire exhaust eventually anyway.

Last edited by 631twentyeighteye; 06-07-2013 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

With respect to an oiled air filter I will note that I've been running a K&N filter for several years on my other car and will probably put one on my 128i. If you recondition it and put too much oil on it you can have a problem. But so far I've have not had any issue. On the other hand, I've also seen reports that the dry filters will both filter better and flow more air. I like the idea that I can clean it and reuse it.

Jim
      06-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
my 128i had an AA tune when I bought it used. Honestly i personally dont have a clue if it does anything since I've never driven the car without it, but I've been told the car has a stronger mid range since the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
Dafttt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjunglist View Post
Can you elaborate with some actual knowledge that might help me.... or is this what this community is about? you get points or something for each post?
Points which are then redeemable at the internet store.

Look man if you need help, I'll help. I just don't think you'll like my response.

I think you really need to slow down and take a step back. When purchasing any products for your car, you gotta ask yourself, what do I want out of these mods? What kind of product do I want? What's my performance target? What kind of sound do I hope to achieve? What will this do to my car? Why did I decide on these mods? Let's start there.

From there, it's all about the research - and this is the part you need to do yourself. Again, it needs to be you making the decisions.

With all due respect, when you joined a few weeks ago, I've seen nothing but questions - and that's cool, we all love helping out, honest! - but I also only see the answers they provided. I just don't see any homework done. It's so important and I can't stress that enough!

Understand this, we're just a bunch of anonymous people on the internet - What makes our advice right? Take everything with a grain of salt - including what the manufacturers of said products tell you. (Random ex: 12hp from intake because website said so? NOPE.)

You'll get your head around it. I lurked here for a LONG time before I started posting - I wanted to have prior knowledge to the products I'd be discussing.

PS
I think an intake, BMWPE, and AA tune would be great for you, I just hope you don't buy it because I said so.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
ace35
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1

Hi
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
If your car is automatic I think the bms is an option to consider. It's way cheaper, if you can find it used, even better. It does change the shift points a little. Can't comment on it if you have a manual tranny. As far as the oiled filter, I've never seen a MAF sensor go bad from one, I've been fixing cars for 15 years. Anyway, if its a worry you can clean the sensor with some spray MAF cleaner every once in a while.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
I'll put in a vote for the intoxicating BMW PE and a just about right E92 M3 sway bar. I'd save my money on the intake.

I love my 128.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

no performance gains will come from any intake, i solely got my injen because my stock box was cracked and i wanted a more raw sound, which is exactly what i got. It's more responsive now over the stock intake.
      06-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #17
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

this thread may help with a couple of your question WRT OP

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321802

lol it certainly did with mine hahaa
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #18
Dafttt
Captain
Rep

Here are some helpful sites to use for shopping:

turnermotorsport
mod*bargains
getBMWparts
hpashop
ecstuning

Not to leave anyone out, those were just off the top of my head. Some are really specific to the 128i/N52 and super easy to navigate, some - not at all. I think one of those sites has an aFe si box for $450 .

Unfortunately I see the magnaflow catback for the 128i is pretty high at around $722, which obviously sucks. BMW performance exhaust's price is nothing to praise at $700 too..

Any shop can do a custom job for you at a much cheaper price - let alone retrofitting a 135i catback. You should check local shops around your area and see what they can do for you.

*This is a 328i, sounds about 95% the same*
I decided I'm not chasing HP and this video helped sell me :

G'luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjunglist View Post
I might phrase things in a direct way, but the goal of helping to steer you away from bad decisions was still the same. I'm posting because I want people to do good things with their cars, and I have a large amount of experience upgrading and working on BMWs.

I often respond the way I do because I am trying to stop what I see as a pervasive mentality in the forums of "I must spend money to change things". There often seems to be little thought as to why, just that clearly if money is spent, the car will be somehow "better". Daft Auto touched on this perfectly in his post.

Tell us what you are looking for. We know what actually works for different aspects of performance, be it power, handling, cornering, or stopping.

From the top on your mod plans:

The AFE airbox is known to create CEL/jerky throttle response from misplacing the MAF sensor and causing it to get an incorrect reading. Theoretically you can fix that by making your own spacer. Oiled filters release small droplets of oil that can screw up the reading of the MAF if they stick to it on the way down the intake tube. The result is mich like the misplaced MAF sensor, a CEL and potentially reduced life(MAF cleaner hurts MAFs, and the only way to get the oil off is the cleaner).

The AFE 135i exhaust is just that, a 135i exhaust. Unless you find a sound clip of someone who has done the retrofit(unlikely as they aren't really a big exhaust maker in the BMW world), you will have no sense of the sound. Furthermore, video clips of exhausts rarely if ever convey what it sounds like. We certainly know it won't make any power. Everything else is subjective.

The BMS Powerbox increases the aggressiveness of the throttle mapping on manual transmission cars, and that is it. If you have ever played with the stupid sport button in the E46 M3, you know what that means. They have no R&D into the engine like AA or Evolve, and as you would expect, there are no gains as a result.
      06-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Points which are then redeemable at the internet store.

Look man if you need help, I'll help. I just don't think you'll like my response.
I'm not here to like or dislike a response. I figured you were just being a smart ass with your "suicide-icon" I wanted to know why man! All respect! I'm a humble dude, I honestly want all the detail I can get. I will be the first to admit I am a noooooob fish in this pond. I didn't have a lot of money during my youth so drove a piece of sh!t dodge aries k, then a banged up oldsmobile with power acoustic and 12" subs that were worth more than the vehicle. My first "real", driver's car was the 2002 honda prelude S vtec, 5mt. I threw a KNN short ram and a new muffler on it, to me that stupid little 4-banger was a rocket ship. Loved that car for a few years, then lost it to the law man due to young, reckless stupidity back when underground raves and street racing were still brewing on Chicago's south & west sides.

Here's my point. Bottom line, I do want to keep it very simple. I know, mods are like tattoos though... once you get one or two, sh*t you're off and running like a crack addict (just ooooone more!). But this car is a whole different league for me, and the last thing I will ever do is clutter it up. I want a clean, crisp, precise machine. I mean, that's the whole reason I bought a BMW... respect for the design & engineering. It's been a bit over a year since I rolled her off the lot and aside from tints and painted calipers that both look sick, it's still 100% stock. I still pinch myself when I fire it up... make sure I'm not dreaming.

Quote:
I think you really need to slow down and take a step back. When purchasing any products for your car, you gotta ask yourself, what do I want out of these mods? What kind of product do I want? What's my performance target? What kind of sound do I hope to achieve? What will this do to my car? Why did I decide on these mods? Let's start there.
Now we're talking. What I want out of these mods. First and foremost, I want this block to inhale as much cold, dense, clean O2 as possible, as directly as possible. I feel the intake is my first motivation... I hate knowing that the overall potential of this engine & my throttle response are being restricted by that stock, emissions-friendly filter box. That said, I wouldn't put an intake on without doing an exhaust at the same time. Correct me if I'm wrong... but basic physics tells me why bother sucking in more air unless I open up the way out for that exhaust.

Performance target - well I think I covered that answer above. I'm not racing this thing, I'm just a truly thrilled driver. I'm a "one with the machine" type of person, if you can feel me on that. I don't commute with this car, it's not a tool, it's a toy. This car is a work of art. I want her clean. I want her breathing. I want her happy.

I honestly don't know if I need her any faster at this point. A few times already she's taken me to 135mph (needle buried), effortlessly. So, at some point I'd like to upstage the ECU for a higher top speed... but I want the car to grow into the intake/exhaust for a while and see how everything feels. Like you mentioned, claims that exhaust manufacturers make regarding hp gains... not to be believed and honestly not something that would affect me at this point. First and foremost, I really want a free flowing engine.

Sound. Ok, you got me here since I am an audiophile. I am very interested in a low-pitch, deep sound that some describe as "european"... but most of all - I don't like the loose, rumbly/bouncy aspect (you know, approaching stock car frequency) of some deep exhausts... I don't want to sound like it's spitting at the car behind me. More than anything, I want it to sound refined. I want it tight.

I've also been thinking about this Remus cat-back (since their rep emailed me re: the details for retro-fitting to my car to make up for the difference in pipe diameter). But, honestly what first drew me was the tips. Love the cf accent and the dual wall design. I don't know much else about what makes it better/worse than a BMW PE or Magnaflow. Also, I don't know if its worth adding a weld/spacer to my exhaust channel when there are so many available that mount to all existing points.

I really do want the best for my car... but I don't necessarily know if I want to spend BMW PE $$$. Any advice here regarding pricing for AA/BMW PE parts? I've heard nothing but great things so, in your opinion(s)... are they worth the brand-name premiums?

Quote:

From there, it's all about the research - and this is the part you need to do yourself. Again, it needs to be you making the decisions.

With all due respect, when you joined a few weeks ago, I've seen nothing but questions - and that's cool, we all love helping out, honest! - but I also only see the answers they provided. I just don't see any homework done. It's so important and I can't stress that enough!

Understand this, we're just a bunch of anonymous people on the internet - What makes our advice right? Take everything with a grain of salt - including what the manufacturers of said products tell you. (Random ex: 12hp from intake because website said so? NOPE.)

You'll get your head around it. I lurked here for a LONG time before I started posting - I wanted to have prior knowledge to the products I'd be discussing.
I can now see how my post here looked pretty "final". Think I got excited. Truth is I am doing the homework I can... but still just fishing, throwing lines in the water here on the forum, to friends down at Perillo (bmw, chicago... Angelo Mantelbano & Luke Gibson are a couple of the best service professionals I've ever dealt with, in any industry), as well as other places I land on the internet... provided they look to be from a reputable source/url. I do understand the value of the internet as a resource. I seemed to find the most people here that I can relate to then other places... so the more knowledge I can accumulate, the better. I won't be making any moves for at least a few months.

Quote:
PS
I think an intake, BMWPE, and AA tune would be great for you, I just hope you don't buy it because I said so.
Can you be specific on the intake/exhaust... and why? AA tune... a bit more detail... simply an ECU software upgrade or what?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I might phrase things in a direct way, but the goal of helping to steer you away from bad decisions was still the same. I'm posting because I want people to do good things with their cars, and I have a large amount of experience upgrading and working on BMWs.

I often respond the way I do because I am trying to stop what I see as a pervasive mentality in the forums of "I must spend money to change things". There often seems to be little thought as to why, just that clearly if money is spent, the car will be somehow "better". Daft Auto touched on this perfectly in his post.

Tell us what you are looking for. We know what actually works for different aspects of performance, be it power, handling, cornering, or stopping.

From the top on your mod plans:

The AFE airbox is known to create CEL/jerky throttle response from misplacing the MAF sensor and causing it to get an incorrect reading. Theoretically you can fix that by making your own spacer. Oiled filters release small droplets of oil that can screw up the reading of the MAF if they stick to it on the way down the intake tube. The result is mich like the misplaced MAF sensor, a CEL and potentially reduced life(MAF cleaner hurts MAFs, and the only way to get the oil off is the cleaner).

The AFE 135i exhaust is just that, a 135i exhaust. Unless you find a sound clip of someone who has done the retrofit(unlikely as they aren't really a big exhaust maker in the BMW world), you will have no sense of the sound. Furthermore, video clips of exhausts rarely if ever convey what it sounds like. We certainly know it won't make any power. Everything else is subjective.

The BMS Powerbox increases the aggressiveness of the throttle mapping on manual transmission cars, and that is it. If you have ever played with the stupid sport button in the E46 M3, you know what that means. They have no R&D into the engine like AA or Evolve, and as you would expect, there are no gains as a result.
Thanks man! I hear you... and I can appreciate a bit of sarcasm as much as the next guy. I think you'll get a lot of info from my recent post to Daft. To break it down simply though, what I want (in priority order):

- I want her breathing freely (inhale & exhale equally). Plain and simple.
- I want increased throttle response. With a 6mt and my current driving style, response is more exciting to me than top speed any day.
- I want to hear it, like anyone else. But I'm not trying to force that. My instinct tells me that if I choose the intake/exhaust that achieve the clean, cold, unrestricted breathing I want... the sound will fall into place organically.

Thanks man, really. Even though you too are a smart-ass ... I respect and appreciate your time & advice.

Last edited by urbanjunglist; 06-10-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
@urbanjunglist
Welcome to the forum.. I highly recommend the links here and visiting the e90post section too to get a handle on Intakes, tuning chip things and other non 128i chasis stuff.

The AFE magnum intake you selected is a good intake compared to the other cheaper AFE semi open design. There have been no reports of bad placement of MAF issues. The dry vs Oiled argument is a personal choice. I have an Afe dry filter in my used Euro box because i didnt want to re oil on cleaning days or buy any recharge kits since I plan to buy new filter dry every 2 yrs. The no MAF issue is just a bonus. Also of in my experience on the 128i the intake can lower the exhaust sound.

at Exhaust. Some 135i axleback/mufflers have been retro to 128i, and its cool although some drone may be of result of the custom nature. The reason for those retrofits has been cheap cost by using a used 135i exhaust and also atthe time limited options ofr 128i. Otherwise PE or Magnaflow 128i are all good choices. StIG went a different way, he chose to do headers which added sound/character and preserve secondary cats to control smell and stock 128i muffler to control sound ( I have a feeling he will go foe a Superspint muffler to compliment the headers). So maybe you should evaluate use headers in your city/state. All other wild options for exhaust are taking 135i parts like n55 mids and making them fit, the key is to use used parts to keep costs at the PE /magnaflow levels

BMS vs other tunes. Up to you to decide after research. Just know that BMS tends to burn more fuel.
Eurocharged tune is actually Chicago based and their costs make it a direct competitor to BMS. It will take care of throttle too and be near AA tune gains. Also Eurocharged tunes have been dyno'd in the past.

@ace35 Hi back at you. Do you own a 128i?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0