BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Nixolas
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

Adaptive Headlights Question

Hey guys,

So I'm pretty sure my car isn't equipped with adaptive headlights (i bought it used and ran the VIN number to see the options and no adaptive headlights came up). But just a curious question, when I start my car, my headlights move up and then back down. I really like it, feels like he's waking up, but what is the deal with that? If i didn't have adaptive headlights installed, why do they move up and down? Oh, and i'm 100% sure that they do not swing from left to right when i turn the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixolas View Post
Hey guys,

So I'm pretty sure my car isn't equipped with adaptive headlights (i bought it used and ran the VIN number to see the options and no adaptive headlights came up). But just a curious question, when I start my car, my headlights move up and then back down. I really like it, feels like he's waking up, but what is the deal with that? If i didn't have adaptive headlights installed, why do they move up and down? Oh, and i'm 100% sure that they do not swing from left to right when i turn the wheel.
They are auto leveling.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Nixolas
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Okay I feel dumb then haha. Does this mean every e82 has auto-leveling headlights?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The easiest way to tell IF you have AHL is to look at the inner lamp. Is it clear(non AHL) or is it opaque(AHL)...

AHL...
Name:  headlights___IMG_3649.jpg
Views: 54179
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  headlights__IMG_0191 (1).jpg
Views: 40491
Size:  124.9 KB

non AHL...
Name:  headlights____IMG_2829.jpg
Views: 39743
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  headlights___IMG_0192.jpg
Views: 42809
Size:  173.3 KB

Quote:
Okay I feel dumb then haha. Does this mean every e82 has auto-leveling headlights?
ALL xenon cars have auto leveling. The car's with halogen H7 (bulbs) have a manual dial to control the headlight height.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Turborob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
They are auto leveling.
Hmm, good to know. My car does have the adaptive function, but I was never sure what the headlights were doing on startup.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

"Self-leveling Systems and Future Headlight Technology
Most adaptive headlights systems also include a self-leveling system. Self-leveling headlights have an additional level sensor that determines if the car is tilted forward or back. For example, if a car is driving over a large bump, when the front of the car hits the bump, it lifts up. Standard headlights would briefly point up into the sky until the rear of the car moved over the bump and the car returned to a level position. You may have noticed this if a car driving behind you at night passed over a bump, such as a railroad crossing. The other car's headlights would flash briefly, as if the driver had blinked his or her high beams at you. This is actually the car's headlights temporarily pointing up and into your eyes instead of down at the road. With a self-leveling system, electric servomotors react to the level sensor and keep the headlights aimed down at the road, no matter the position of the car.
Self-leveling headlights are already required on new cars in Europe, and they're required on all U.S. cars equipped with bi-xenon headlights. Bi-xenon lights are so bright that they would blind other drivers if they didn't level themselves.
Adaptive headlights aren't yet standard equipment on most cars. In fact, only a few companies even offer them as options. BMW offers optional adaptive headlights on all models, while 335, 535, 7-series and M-series include them as standard equipment. Renault offers them as an option on some models, and the 2006 Volkswagen Passat includes them in the optional Luxury Package. Lexus, Audi and many high-end manufacturers also offer adaptive headlight packages."

(source: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/adaptive-headlight1.htm)

Auto leveling:

Latest evolution (introduced in July 2012): BMW Intelligent Headlight Technology:
      04-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
///135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
The easiest way to tell IF you have AHL is to look at the inner lamp. Is it clear(non AHL) or is it opaque(AHL)...

AHL...
Attachment 849730

Attachment 849731

non AHL...
Attachment 849732

Attachment 849733

Quote:
ALL xenon cars have auto leveling. The car's with halogen H7 (bulbs) have a manual dial to control the headlight height.
Does the inner lamp serve a different function between adaptive and non adaptive or is that just cosmetic?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///135i View Post
Does the inner lamp serve a different function between adaptive and non adaptive or is that just cosmetic?
Except if I misunderstood your question, see: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=26
      04-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #9
Nixolas
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Wow guys, seriously that is why i love this forum. Very helpful. And yes Dack, my inner lights are clear, looks exactly like the last two photos you attached, so for sure they are not AHL.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:36 AM   #10
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Or if you look closely on all the adaptive headlights it will say BMW dynamic xenon on the low beam projector. Or the metal ring surrounding the projector.

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Adaptive Headlights
The Adaptive Headlights cast their beam in the direction of the curve and ensure better visibility and more safety during night drives on winding roads.
Sensors measure speed, steering angle and yaw (degree of rotation around the vertical axis). Based on this information, small electric motors turn the headlights left or right so the beam falls on the road ahead, guiding you into the bend.
Headlight beam throw control (a model-specific function) means the front headlights are raised at high speeds and lowered at slower speeds, which results in a wider beam for inner-city driving.
The adaptive headlight range control (a model-specific function) takes into consideration the vertical curve of the road. The headlight beam throw control is lowered when driving over a knoll and raised when the vehicle is in a dip.
The result: every single curve is illuminated and the oncoming traffic isn’t dazzled unnecessarily. Driving at night is even safer, particularly when visibility is poor.
Adaptive Headlights are only active when the vehicle is pulling away. They stay switched off when the BMW is in reverse and when the steering wheel is turned to the left while the vehicle is stationary (e.g. when pulling out of a parallel parking s pace to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.
Adaptive Headlights are complemented by cornering lights. These are automatically activated at speeds of up to 70 km/h and improve visibility in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle, which is useful when driving along hairpin bends, turning or parking."

(http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...eadlights.html)

"Cornering lights
Cornering lights provide additional illumination of the area to the side of the vehicle, making night-time parking and turning safer.
Cornering lights compliment the functionality of Adaptive Headlights. While Adaptive Headlights provide superior illumination of curves when driving at normal speeds, cornering lights give you better lighting when carrying out low-speed manoeuvres: parking, turning into a driveway, u-turns and taking extremely winding roads, for example.
To provide this additional light, the fog lamps are fitted with integrated swivelling reflectors; alternatively, the headlights are equipped with an additional lamp. When the indicator is activated at speeds below 40 km/h, these lights illuminate an area to the side of the vehicle, up to 80° of the direction of travel.
After the corner is taken, the cornering lights dim and extinguish automatically. Cornering lights also facilitate safe reversing: when reverse gear is selected, both the left and right lights illuminate the area around the vehicle."

(http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ng_lights.html)
      04-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///135i View Post
I do not know the answer to that.

I think only the AHL car's will turn on the inner light when your turn the steering wheel(and the headlight is in AUTO mode!).

All US spec cars with xenon have AHL. It was an extra option in other countries when you ordered xenon lights.

Btw... I recently went for a ride in a new LCI 7er... I was totally blown away on the headlight technology used in those cars. The "active headlights" are so cool. Its more than just an auto high beams... the headlights actually will partially illuminate the sides of the road while what is in front of the car(say in traffic at night) keeps the low beams on. But the sides of the road are light up from the high beams! Plus the car's fog lights are not fog lights but supplemental lights to help in illuminating pedestrians or animals. They worked like some xenon laser that would light up any traget you were about to hit. It is tied into the car's inferred camera. Very cool.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Btw... I recently went for a ride in a new LCI 7er... I was totally blown away on the headlight technology used in those cars. The "active headlights" are so cool. Its more than just an auto high beams... the headlights actually will partially illuminate the sides of the road while what is in front of the car(say in traffic at night) keeps the low beams on. But the sides of the road are light up from the high beams! Plus the car's fog lights are not fog lights but supplemental lights to help in illuminating pedestrians or animals. They worked like some xenon laser that would light up any traget you were about to hit. It is tied into the car's inferred camera. Very cool.
Check the second video in http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...30&postcount=6

Impressive indeed.
      04-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Check the second video in http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...30&postcount=6

Impressive indeed.

YuP! Those Adaptive LED's were just AMAZING! In that video at 01:40 and 03:30 the way the car makes a dark pathway for the car in front of you is just uncanny. Plus what blew me away was were were driving on a three lane autobahn at night, and the car could keep track of mulitple "targets". As you passed a car(at ~210 kph), the auto high beams would switch on to illuminate that dark areas. Then just as you over take another car... the high beams(just on that side of the car!) would go out not to blind that car. Not only could it keep from blinding the car in front of you... but also the cars as you over take AND oncoming cars too! THAT was what was so cool.

Thanks Luc, for showing me that video. Quite cool!

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 04:43 AM   #15
marshel.hussain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 LCI 325d

Adaptive headlight

Hi,
I'm new on this thread, just bought myself a e90 bmw 325d lci.
The car is equipped with LCI adaptive headlights but the passenger side was damaged and repaired to a very low standard (by previous owner)
Now I'm contemplating what to do, these headlights are extremely rare to find and when do you find one it costs an absolute fortune bmw quoted me just under a grand.
Can anybody shed some light on this for me, also if anybody has a spare one lying around it would be extremely helpful 😬.
Thanks
      02-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #16
Pastor Steve
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Convertible

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
2010 128i Adaptive Headlights

I purchased my car used - there is a switch and green light for adaptive headlights - but I don't see anything "moving" at all - I don't even notice auto-leveling. Is it possible that BMW included the switch and light even if my car does NOT have adaptive lights?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #17
Z3SpdDmn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: PWC #80 M235iR, #007 SpecE30

I believe you have to have your headlight switch on "Auto" in order for the adaptive lighting to work. That would be, the lights turning with the steering wheel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Pirelli World Chalenge: Rooster Hall Racing/FCP Euro #80 M235iR - 2017 Rookie of the Year
NASA ST2 5.2 Motorsports Shelby GT350 #941
'08 "130i GT" 6MT / '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT / SpecE30
Drive Faster Now
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

From the Horse's Mouth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn View Post
I believe you have to have your headlight switch on "Auto" in order for the adaptive lighting to work. That would be, the lights turning with the steering wheel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
"Adaptive Headlights ensure that you have the best possible view of the road ahead, even at night. As you enter a curve, the headlight's beam turns to follow the direction of the road. So you always know what's ahead.

Conventional fixed headlights cast their beam straight ahead only. On bends, this means the beam can fall on the oncoming traffic, blinding other drivers while leaving the road ahead in darkness. In contrast, Adaptive Headlights use swivelling headlights that always point in the direction the vehicle is steering. The road ahead is better illuminated and obstacles become visible sooner. This provides significant safety benefits when taking bends at night or whenever visibility is poor.

At the heart of the Adaptive Headlight technology lies the dynamic headlamp control system. Sensors measure speed, steering angle and yaw (degree of rotation around the vertical axis). Based on this information, small electric motors turn the headlights so the beam falls on the road ahead, guiding you into the bend.

This intelligent headlight system is activated whenever the vehicle is moving forwards. When the vehicle is in reverse or if the steering wheel is turned when the vehicle is not moving (such as when leaving a parallel parking *******, the headlights do not turn, in order to prevent blinding the drivers of oncoming traffic.
Cornering lights are an additional feature to Adaptive Headlights. They provide an extra source of light when parking or turning sharply at low speeds.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2019, 12:49 AM   #19
tania
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Interesting discussion, I learned a lot in this forum