BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Good enough for us, but not for them

Some of us (guess who?) are more equal than others.

The proposed "universal" health care reform bill allows US Representatives, Senators and their staff to keep their excellent health care programs. The House draft wording only allows us to keep our private plans if it remains unchanged and remain with our current employer. New job? Tough luck!

Various provisions will lead to employers dropping their plans or to insurers changing or discontinuing them so eventually many of us (except the political elites) will have to join the new public plan.

The new plan is touted as being as good or better than private plans but apparently it's not good enough Reps, Senators and their staff. This is just not right. Universal should apply to everyone, including them.

Senator Tom Coburn introduced an amendment to the Senate version that requires them and their staff to enroll in the new health care program. This passed the Senate health committee by a 12-11 vote.

It is expected that this provision will be stripped out at a later time.

You should contact your congressional delegation and ask them to insist that this provision be included in the final version and to oppose any backroom or conference committee deals to later remove it.

Also ask them to insist that all congressional dealings on this bill remain transparent and that proposed be available in writing on the internet as promised for timely public scrutiny at least a week in advance of any vote.

Further, just as we can now sue doctors who make mistakes, under this new plan we also need to be able to sue the government and individually, the government employees for mistakes in interpretation and application of the provisions of this new plan. They need to be held accountable for decisions that can mean life or death.

Ask them to pledge that the bill and any future amendments will require Reps, Senators and their staff to always be covered only by this new universal health care plan so we will know this plan is really good for all of us.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
purespeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 67 cobra

Obama's plan will be further stressed because there will be no safeguards to prevent non citizens from being insured.

Obama Health Plan to Cover 12 Million Illegals

Sunday, July 19, 2009 6:32 PM

By: David A. Patten

On Friday, Democrats moved one step closer to giving free health insurance to the nationís estimated 12 million illegal aliens when they successfully defeated a Republican-backed amendment, offered by Rep. Dean Heller, R-Nev., that would have prevented illegal aliens from receiving government-subsidized health care under the proposed plan backed by House Democrats and President Barack Obama.

The House Ways and Means Committee nixed the Heller amendment by a 26-to-15 vote along straight party lines, and followed this action by passing the 1,018-page bill early Friday morning by a 23-to-18 margin, with three Democrats voting against the plan.

Democrats had insisted throughout the health-care reform debate that illegals would be ineligible for the so-called public option plan that is to be subsidized by taxpayers.

Republicans, however, point out that the Democrats, by refusing to accept the Heller amendment, would deny health agencies from conducting simple database checks to verify citizenship. Many states give illegals driver licenses, which will be sufficient to get free health care under the plan

http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/hea...mo_code=83A3-1
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
vash_241987
Private
Rep
Drives: 99 corolla

speaking of Health care B.O. is going to increase my moms tax since she is a nurse, which is a good paying job, but on top of cali and the IRS milking her for more money she barley has enough to pay for food, on top of helping my Sister and her family since they both got laidoff and have two children, with the 2nd dun in Nov. It's too bad that politics can't see what is happening to my family, in fact to all of the families who are considered "wealthy" buy their standards. I bet there are some small business owners here that would love to not have the tax hike, since they will basically end up with little to get by with. His plan may sound great to other people so they can mooch off of the Gov. money (oops forgot, they don't have any real money) but for my family it's not look'n too hot.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Eventually medical professional pay will be cut to control spending. So top notch people will no longer go into the medical professions and the quality of our care will decline accordingly. In the long run this plan will kill the world's finest medical system.

Many of the congressmen voting for the bill could care less whether illegals are included or not. They look at it as how many votes do I get from illegals who appreciate being included versus how many votes do I lose from those who don't want to pay for their medical costs. They see it as a wash. So that's not the most effective argument.

The most effective is that they must be int he plan the same as everyone else. They will not want this and realize if they exclude themselves, the illegals won't vote care one way or the other, but many fair minded Americans will care.

To further cut costs down the road the politicians and bureaucrats, not you and your doctor will decide what treatments are to be given at what ages. Over 65, no knee replacement for you - live with it till you die - that kind of thing.

Rather than post here, email your congressman and two senators NOW. It only takes 5 minutes to send an email. It will be the best 15 minutes you've ever spent.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 02:28 AM   #5
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash_241987 View Post
It's too bad that politics can't see what is happening to my family, in fact to all of the families who are considered "wealthy" buy their standards.
oh they can see it and they like it - you rich people are being brought down to be more equal with the poor. there is a book about it- ANimal Farm by Geoarge Orwel . read it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If you think that's what Animal Farm is about you better read the book.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TambourineMan View Post
If you think that's what Animal Farm is about you better read the book.
Some of us (guess who?) are more equal than others.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

By George, I think you've got it. Your new leaders are more equal than you!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash_241987 View Post
speaking of Health care B.O. is going to increase my moms tax since she is a nurse, which is a good paying job, but on top of cali and the IRS milking her for more money she barley has enough to pay for food, on top of helping my Sister and her family since they both got laidoff and have two children, with the 2nd dun in Nov. It's too bad that politics can't see what is happening to my family, in fact to all of the families who are considered "wealthy" buy their standards. I bet there are some small business owners here that would love to not have the tax hike, since they will basically end up with little to get by with. His plan may sound great to other people so they can mooch off of the Gov. money (oops forgot, they don't have any real money) but for my family it's not look'n too hot.
What on earth? I dont think anyone considers a nurse to be in the upper income brackets. Really?!