BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

which brand of tune?

I see from researching that there are a lot of owners who have the AA software tune, most in conjunction with the 3 stage intake manifold and many who also have the headers.

My car is a 2013 128i with the N52 engine and 16k miles. It will have a 3 stage manifold installed (30k miles on it). It also has the euro intake and BMW performance exhaust. Some tell me they won't need a special optimization tune, others say it won't make a difference to the tune. Which is correct?

Which software brand performs best? Can I install it with a non-Mac laptop, and will I need a battery charger to do so? Has anyone ever removed the tune before a dealership 'update', and is this an important feature (consider that I have 10 months remaining on a CPO Elite warranty)?

My local indy says he's had a lot of success with the Epic tune, but I can't find any dyno info with this brand. I also see a few issues with the AA tune and some others, perhaps the rare cases?

Thanks for insight!

Last edited by MAMSport; 11-14-2016 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMSport View Post
I see from researching that there are a lot of owners who have the AA software tune, most in conjunction with the 3 stage intake manifold and many who also have the headers.

My car is a 2013 128i with the N52 engine and 16k miles. It will have a 3 stage manifold installed (30k miles on it). It also has the euro intake and BMW performance exhaust. Some tell me they won't need a special optimization tune, others say it won't make a difference to the tune. Which is correct?
False. The stock car isn't set up to properly take advantage of the 3 stage intake manifold. Unfortunately the intake and exhaust are just noise generators, so they don't gain much by themselves.

Quote:
Which software brand performs best? Can I install it with a non-Mac laptop, and will I need a battery charger to do so? Has anyone ever removed the tune before a dealership 'update', and is this an important feature (consider that I have 10 months remaining on a CPO Elite warranty)?

My local indy says he's had a lot of success with the Epic tune, but I can't find any dyno info with this brand. I also see a few issues with the AA tune and some others, perhaps the rare cases?

Thanks for insight!
Epic is a solid choice, as is BPC - those would be my bets.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have done a lot of searching on this site and with the E90 post site but haven't been able to find any dyno charts from Epic or BPC tunes. Any suggestions? Epic doesn't list any on their website which give information for the turbo engines but not N52 or N51 engines.

A lot of the threads were started at least couple years ago, and I'm wondering whether there is much new out there or whether tune development ceased?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 06:48 AM   #4
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206386

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916863
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #5
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, Axiom,

I had actually gone through the E90post 'dyno thread' and pulled some dyno charts comparing 128i/N52 stock (well, with performance intake and performance exhaust, stuff comparable to my current car) and then the same car with the 3-stage intake manifold, and then the same car with the AA tune but on a different (hotter) day. Made for a good overlay to see the area under the curve.

I will scan through the first link when I have a bit more time. The BPC numbers seem to be fine, but the peaks aren't what I want but rather usable torque and hp increases. Seeing a dyno chart will give me a better idea what is actually to be expected.

I'm going to guess that AA is still the preferred tune and that Epic is not a factor (website does not even list N52 applications, mostly turbo stuff) judging by the number of 'views' and lack of other replies. Just thought that maybe something was newer since most of the posts on this were started at least a year ago.

Last edited by MAMSport; 11-16-2016 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: completed the thoughts
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #6
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Axiom,

I had actually gone through the E90post 'dyno thread' and pulled some dyno charts comparing 128i/N52 stock (well, with performance intake and performance exhaust, stuff comparable to my current car) and then the same car with the 3-stage intake manifold, and then the same car with the AA tune but on a different (hotter) day. Made for a good overlay to see the area under the curve.

I will scan through the first link when I have a bit more time. The BPC numbers seem to be fine, but the peaks aren't what I want but rather usable torque and hp increases. Seeing a dyno chart will give me a better idea what is actually to be expected.

I'm going to guess that AA is still the preferred tune and that Epic is not a factor (website does not even list N52 applications, mostly turbo stuff) judging by the number of 'views' and lack of other replies. Just thought that maybe something was newer since most of the posts on this were started at least a year ago.
I'm not sure I understand, BPC tunes offer more power under the curve and overall.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 05:36 AM   #7
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

I switched from an AA tune to Epic and was very happy with my decision. I would be more likely to go with BPC now, solely due to convenience factor and that they're consistently continuing to develop on the N52 platform.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ryan,

Did you also get a flash drive/portable drive so that you can go back to OE if desired? Was that extra cost?

How much difference did you notice from AA to Epic? I looked at the introduction of BPC but didn't see any pertinent dyno charts. Again, not necessarily looking for peak torque/hp numbers, mostly for area under the curve particularly lower rpm torque which AA seems to bump well.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Ryan,

Did you also get a flash drive/portable drive so that you can go back to OE if desired? Was that extra cost?

How much difference did you notice from AA to Epic? I looked at the introduction of BPC but didn't see any pertinent dyno charts. Again, not necessarily looking for peak torque/hp numbers, mostly for area under the curve particularly lower rpm torque which AA seems to bump well.
Then you didn't read the thread, there are dynos throughout it that I didn't put in the dyno thread. Start on page 7 I believe.
Appreciate 0