BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
NormanConquest
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i

Free Speech and Expression, American Core Value...

https://www.army.mil/article/92856/t...the_nuts_reply

So I was reading this story about the battle of the bulge and thought to myself imagine how the media would react If a soldier or Trump responded to an enemy combat general like this today.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post

So I was reading this story about the battle of the bulge and thought to myself imagine how the media would react If a soldier or Trump responded to an enemy combat general like this today.
As a combat veteran, I can categorically say that in these times, there would never have been a media reaction, because there is no way that any enemy combatant would have been allowed to get near a FOB with a briefcase in hand. There would have been a near 100% certain chance that the briefcase would have been an IED as our enemies no longer have any courage, morals, or ethics of any kind.
Appreciate 4
3.0L1262.00
MrRoboto1692.50

10-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:

During a time of declared war, regarding a request for US forces to surrender?

I doubt anyone would have an issue with that type of response. If you imagine differently, I think your partisanship is skewing your perceptions.

Appreciate 1
      10-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
NormanConquest
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
During a time of declared war, regarding a request for US forces to surrender?

I doubt anyone would have an issue with that type of response. If you imagine differently, I think your partisanship is skewing your perceptions.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2016/09/28/pol...cnn-town-hall/

Please, the media worship Obama calling a cow a chicken and was upset over Bush and Trump calling a cow a cow.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
https://www-m.cnn.com/2016/09/28/pol...cnn-town-hall/

Please, the media worship Obama calling a cow a chicken and was upset over Bush and Trump calling a cow a cow.
What the fuck does that link have to do with your original post/question?

Are you off your meds or something? Drunk? What?

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
NormanConquest
Major
Rep

Quote:
What the fuck does that link have to do with your original post/question?

Are you off your meds or something? Drunk? What?

The President is the commander and chief and the media get quite upset over mean words to our enemies
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
The President is the commander and chief and the media get quite upset over mean words to our enemies
If you can't understand the difference between not castigating an entire religion as "terrorists" and telling a uniformed combatant force that we are formally at war with to go pound sand - I'm sure as shit not going to waste the time trying to explain it to you.

Wallow in your ignorance. I'll leave you to it...
Appreciate 1
3.0L1262.00

10-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
NormanConquest
Major
Rep

Quote:
If you can't understand the difference between not castigating an entire religion as "terrorists" and telling a uniformed combatant force that we are formally at war with to go pound sand - I'm sure as shit not going to waste the time trying to explain it to you.

Wallow in your ignorance. I'll leave you to it...
So what type of terrorism are we fighting against? Unicorn Terrorism? Mars terrorism? I want sand terrorism.

When the Irish terrorism struck UK it was Irish Terrorist, when Pro Life bomb abortion clinic it Extreme Catholic terrorism or Anti Abortion Terrorism
So what type of terrorist are we fighting right now?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:

How does this relate to the media? Strange question.

Of course, he would still be a hero by making that remark. If you think the MSM would belittle him (McAuliffe) for it, you would be wrong.

PS I didn't read the article. I know most of the details by heart.

There was a reason the Germans feared Patton.
      10-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
Real Dodger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
No, they ( and myself) get upset at mean words & actions to our allies.......
      10-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

i'm pretty sure putting a bullet into OBL well outpaces the fear of using bad words. this whole thread is NUTS!

this story has zero relevance to current media or recent us foreign policy.
Appreciate 3
3.0L1262.00

10-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
NormanConquest
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
No, they ( and myself) get upset at mean words & actions to our allies.......
What mean words to our allies?

Franch and Germany who openly mock and ridicule Obama when he requested extra troops from them in Afganistan?

China, Mexico, Canda, and the EU who constantly try to f our business over or steal IP?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #13
NormanConquest
Major
Rep

Quote:
How does this relate to the media? Strange question.

Of course, he would still be a hero by making that remark. If you think the MSM would belittle him (McAuliffe) for it, you would be wrong.

PS I didn't read the article. I know most of the details by heart.

There was a reason the Germans feared Patton.

When you have the media in an uproar taking first responder off duty for giving the Okay sign, I strongly doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #14
Real Dodger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
When you have the media in an uproar taking first responder off duty for giving the Okay sign, I strongly doubt it.
How does that relate to McCauliffe, the 101st airborne, Patton, and the Battle of the Bulge?
      10-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #15
NormanConquest
Major
Rep

Quote:
How does that relate to McCauliffe, the 101st airborne, Patton, and the Battle of the Bulge?
That if anyone says anything the media now finds unacceptable they will have a fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
I believe that the OP is generally railing against the PC movement within the military currently and our notably toned down ROE's.

Note that the ROE's currently in force are substantially more aggressive than they were during Vietnam, and rightly so.

The major issue is that we are not at war with a political body that holds legal boundaries, nor are we at war with a particular religion. The issue is that the terrorists are using religion as a purport of war, so it becomes a gray area to say who we are fighting. As such, the media and the US Government are loath to suggest we are fighting Islam, because we are not - we are fighting terrorists who believe in a radical and bastardized form of Islam. It's a touchy subject and understandably so.

I participated in Operation Southern Watch, Operation Provide Comfort, Operation Deny Flight, Operation Sharp Guard, and Operation Deliberate Force. Later I also performed duties within areas of the Kosovo War and worked in additional capacity with Operation Infinite Reach.

Based on my extensive history, I feel I have sufficient knowledge to speak on this subject.
Appreciate 2
3.0L1262.00

10-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
I believe that the OP is generally railing against the PC movement within the military currently and our notably toned down ROE's.

Note that the ROE's currently in force are substantially more aggressive than they were during Vietnam, and rightly so.

The major issue is that we are not at war with a political body that holds legal boundaries, nor are we at war with a particular religion. The issue is that the terrorists are using religion as a purport of war, so it becomes a gray area to say who we are fighting. As such, the media and the US Government are loath to suggest we are fighting Islam, because we are not - we are fighting terrorists who believe in a radical and bastardized form of Islam. It's a touchy subject and understandably so.

I participated in Operation Southern Watch, Operation Provide Comfort, Operation Deny Flight, Operation Sharp Guard, and Operation Deliberate Force. Later I also performed duties within areas of the Kosovo War and worked in additional capacity with Operation Infinite Reach.

Based on my extensive history, I feel I have sufficient knowledge to speak on this subject.

Appreciate 1
Run Silent7613.50

10-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #18
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

It's a different world today. Social media alone makes a huge difference in how news is shared. No doubt the media would blow things out of proportion now a days, it's to be expected.