BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Another stupid question from the newbie.

So another question that I hope I'm overanalyzing.

I get home today after a good 30 minute drive. Today is unusual for our area. It's 35 degrees, and alternating between rain and a little sleet. I pull in the garage, get out, as while I'm passing the car I notice what appears to be steam slightly billowing out of the kidney grills...particularly the passenger side.

So I start to freak a little, get back in the car....start it up and look for any dash lights. Then I check the oil sensor gauge and it reads all well.

I open the hood, and it looks like the steam is coming off the front of the radiator. I'm consciously looking at my valve cover gasket, OFHG, floor pan, and everything is dry as it can be aside from what little bit of water from driving in the rain is laying at the bottom of the belly pan.

I'm putting my hands on hoses and in different areas that are slightly wet to see if I feel any residue....but nothing.

Only thing I did notice was that my oil cap wasn't tightly locked into place as I noticed a little residue left over in that area. But only enough to wipe up with my finger tip.

So am I being paranoid......is this normal? I mean I know it's cold outside and the humidity is up.....but it freaked me out to see steam coming from that grill. It wasn't a lot, but enough for me to notice it as I neared the front if the car.

So tell me what you think. I'm I being stupid and paronoid? Be honest...I have thick skin. Or is this the sign of something that needs further investigation?

Crazy thing is while I'm doing all this, my stuff for my coolant flush arrives.

Thanks for any insight that you veterans may provide. As mentioned previously, these cars are new to me....so I'm learning.
      02-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My assumption is that it's just the hot radiator mixing with cool damp air creating steam as I can't distinctly smell anything odd.

Just freaked me out as I've had the car for one month, and still really treating it pretty gently and trying to read and learn as much as I can on the forum.

You guys have been a wealth of information. With what I've learned from this forum, I've already replaced the rear diff and replaced the shifter and boot, clutch stop and valve delete. Once the weather clears up, I have a 3 stage intake install planned along with an OFHG change, Coolant flush, plugs/coils change as I'm slightly over 70K miles.

I also have AA headers in my garage, and MILVS on the way. That will also be when the valve cover gasket gets done.

Buy still wanted to say thanks to all the contributions on here!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Don't read too much into forums. It seems to be making you more paranoid. These cars are probably more reliable than domestic variants of the same era, and will be on par with the Japanese (sans Subaru).
There really should be no worries you have. You bought a good car.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
Shortedaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Don't read too much into forums. It seems to be making you more paranoid. These cars are probably more reliable than domestic variants of the same era, and will be on par with the Japanese (sans Subaru).
yea. your never going to enjoy the car if you have so much anxiety over it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Don't read too much into forums.
Agreed.

Quote:
These cars are probably more reliable than domestic variants of the same era
Sure.

Quote:
...and will be on par with the Japanese (sans Subaru).
Let's not get carried away...
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #6
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
and will be on par with the Japanese (sans Subaru).
Appreciate 2
Matticus913474.50
      02-20-2019, 05:34 AM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
As someone who has worked on both, no, not even close.

But OP has nothing to worry about. Your rad was just wet and drying off.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I have to agree with MightyMouse. Both on the vapor being steam and that BMWs are not great on reliability. They are not terrible either. Mine has been towed once in 10 years, my previous two Japanese SUVs and 1 Ford hatchback never. Each was driven at least 8 years by me and purchased new. Small sample but it agrees with published information. It is also useful to note the difference between the normally aspirated and turbo charged versions of our cars. Normally aspirated being significantly more reliable. My opinion is the 128 is not significantly worse than average but the 135 is. But all cars are more reliable than they were when I started driving.
      02-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

My 128i did the same thing in similar conditions when driving it home from Ohio, where I bought it. Freaked me out a little, too. I have yet to need to add coolant after 20,000 miles. If the steam doesn't smell like antifreeze, don't sweat it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys!

Man this weather sucks! I have so many parts sitting around waiting...no...begging to be installed. It's supposed to be like this for at least the next two weeks according to the extended forecast.

But with work, it seems I never have the time to properly clean my garage so I can do my work in there.

Most of the time I can just back out 10ft. on a nice level surface, and I get to do my work there.

I need a shop out back that my wife doesn't get to take over with her stuff!
      02-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #11
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

My car did just the same thing the other day. Here's an explanation:

"Steam is invisible; however, "steam" often refers to wet steam, the visible mist or aerosol of water droplets formed as this water vapour condenses. ... If liquid water comes in contact with a very hot surface or depressurizes quickly below its vapor pressure, it can create a steam explosion."

The day mine happened the air had a high moisture content. As for reliability, BMWs will never catch up with cars like Mazda, Lexus, & Toyotas.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #12
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
My car did just the same thing the other day. Here's an explanation:

"Steam is invisible; however, "steam" often refers to wet steam, the visible mist or aerosol of water droplets formed as this water vapour condenses. ... If liquid water comes in contact with a very hot surface or depressurizes quickly below its vapor pressure, it can create a steam explosion."

The day mine happened the air had a high moisture content. As for reliability, BMWs will never catch up with cars like Mazda, Lexus, & Toyotas.
I understand Boyle's law quite well and use it often as I'm an Engineer in a chemical plant......but I'm really just now learning BMW'S! 😁
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

If it adds to your comfort, my 135i has done this on a few occasions. I can sympathize with your reaction as the first time it happened, I thought WTF? Now I just pop the hood to make sure there really isn't anything going on. And there hasn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #14
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I understand Boyle's law quite well and use it often as I'm an Engineer in a chemical plant......but I'm really just now learning BMW'S! 😁
Well goody for you. Now you can apply your immense theoretical knowledge to practical situations!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #15
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well goody for you. Now you can apply your immense theoretical knowledge to practical situations!
Now you know that doesn't apply in real life....especially when it's your own personal items. It seems everything you know goes out the window along with any rational thinking....and you automatically start looking for the worst case scenario....not the logical one!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 10:55 PM   #16
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Now you know that doesn't apply in real life....especially when it's your own personal items. It seems everything you know goes out the window along with any rational thinking....and you automatically start looking for the worst case scenario....not the logical one!
Don't bother to argue with UnHappy Jose. He is like the idiot that always thinks he is right, and will beat you down until he proves it.
      02-23-2019, 11:20 PM   #17
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Quote:
Don't bother to argue with UnHappy Jose. He is like the idiot that always thinks he is right, and will beat you down until he proves it.
Unhappy Jose. The only person I've ignored in 6 years on this forum. What a dick.
Appreciate 3
Gangplank1539.50
Rmtt8208.00
      02-24-2019, 03:34 AM   #18
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Thanks for the heads up......still trying to learn everyone around here.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #19
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That isn't the way my mind works.

In my working, business, and personal life, I carefully consider problems as they occur. In some cases, I'm proactive and try to avoid them completely.

Considering the situations I have been in, I owe my philosophy for my survival while most of the people I have known are pushing up daisies.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #20
bobdavisnpf
Hapless Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 135i, '89 E30 vert

A good engineer recognizes an unfamiliar situation, reports observations, and seeks input from peers. A lot like what RMTT is doing on this thread.

Quote:
...while most of the people I have known are pushing up daisies.

Jose I am sorry for your losses. I've seen a few close friends and relations off already, and it can be a steep price to pay for longevity.