BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Atheist for President of US?
Yes 109 67.70%
No 52 32.30%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
M0011
Major General
M0011's Avatar
1573
Rep
5,081
Posts

Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL

iTrader: (9)

Would you vote for an Atheist for President of US?

I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each personís dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.

I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.

I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.

I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.

I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations, and that the best government is that which governs least.

I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.

I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.

I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.

FINALLY, I DONíT BELIEVE IN GOD.
__________________
///f80 YMB/SS 6MT ZCP | f80 | f30 |e92 | tt | S5 | e92 | 350z | e90 |
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
ChineseGuy's Avatar
68
Rep
1,500
Posts

Drives: Black E90
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North Pole

iTrader: (2)

LoL...do we need 2 threads about this?

must be important...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
vAnt826
Major
40
Rep
1,417
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (3)

I'll feel more comfortable with one in place.

I do not believe in god, but religious people have great morals.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
M0011
Major General
M0011's Avatar
1573
Rep
5,081
Posts

Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
I'll feel more comfortable with one in place.

I do not believe in god, but religious people have great morals.
So, you support G. Dub?
You scare me dude...and I'm serious...
__________________
///f80 YMB/SS 6MT ZCP | f80 | f30 |e92 | tt | S5 | e92 | 350z | e90 |
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2004 Mazda6s
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

so every non-atheist is g dub now?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Grizzles
Lieutenant
Grizzles's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
410
Posts

Drives: 2011 550XI MSPORT
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (0)

when they find out that there is no god, jews and palestinians will be holding hands as they jump off the george washington bridge
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
M0011
Major General
M0011's Avatar
1573
Rep
5,081
Posts

Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by its ray den View Post
so every non-atheist is g dub now?
His post says so:
"I'll feel more comfortable with one in place."
__________________
///f80 YMB/SS 6MT ZCP | f80 | f30 |e92 | tt | S5 | e92 | 350z | e90 |
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2004 Mazda6s
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

err... what the crap are you talking about?

"I'll feel more comfortable with one in place" is the same as "i support george w bush" ??

your question asks about atheist vs non-atheist presidential candidates, and has absolutely nothing to do with g dub, although i know he is your great motivation for this post.

you lumping all theists into a g dub mold is about as meritorious as stereotyping on a specific race because some kid of that race mugged you when you were in 6th grade. doesn't make much sense does it?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
M0011
Major General
M0011's Avatar
1573
Rep
5,081
Posts

Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by its ray den View Post
err... what the crap are you talking about?

"I'll feel more comfortable with one in place" is the same as "i support george w bush" ??

your question asks about atheist vs non-atheist presidential candidates, and has absolutely nothing to do with g dub, although i know he is your great motivation for this post.

you lumping all theists into a g dub mold is about as meritorious as stereotyping on a specific race because some kid of that race mugged you when you were in 6th grade. doesn't make much sense does it?
I don't have the time to debate you now, but your anger must be coming from the results of this poll. Go, pray and God will change it qround...he works im mysterious ways.
__________________
///f80 YMB/SS 6MT ZCP | f80 | f30 |e92 | tt | S5 | e92 | 350z | e90 |
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
shimshimhada's Avatar
United_States
230
Rep
4,838
Posts

Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

iTrader: (2)

Thread failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2004 Mazda6s
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
I don't have the time to debate you now, but your anger must be coming from the results of this poll. Go, pray and God will change it qround...he works im mysterious ways.
no i'm not angry. i'm just so surprised that a person of science, logic and reason that you claim to be would make these kinds of statements. do you even know what you don't like about the current state of our politics?

it's ok if you don't have time to "debate" with me. adios!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #12
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2004 Mazda6s
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
M0011
Major General
M0011's Avatar
1573
Rep
5,081
Posts

Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by its ray den View Post
??????
__________________
///f80 YMB/SS 6MT ZCP | f80 | f30 |e92 | tt | S5 | e92 | 350z | e90 |
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 12:34 AM   #14
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2004 Mazda6s
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

did you delete your post or did the admins do it?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #15
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
Crimson92's Avatar
United_States
564
Rep
28,824
Posts

Drives: Like a boss
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whales Vagina

iTrader: (3)

To the OP...i agree with you completly.

I personally think that religion should have no part in politics, it's just something else politicians hide behind to justify something.
__________________
Quote:
Some people are like slinkies...not really good for much but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
scottwww
Brigadier General
scottwww's Avatar
United_States
330
Rep
4,759
Posts

Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Atheism is a religion. The god of atheism is probably the self. It seems to involve worship of self.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
Crimson92's Avatar
United_States
564
Rep
28,824
Posts

Drives: Like a boss
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whales Vagina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Atheism is a religion. The god of atheism is probably the self. It seems to involve worship of self.
No from what I understand atheism is not believing in any religon. And I doubt that can be classified as a religion
__________________
Quote:
Some people are like slinkies...not really good for much but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #18
scottwww
Brigadier General
scottwww's Avatar
United_States
330
Rep
4,759
Posts

Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Are any of the current candidates for president also atheist? If so, what brand of atheism? Maybe the OP could define what he means by "atheist" and give some examples of atheists that fit his definition.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #19
drF80
Major General
187
Rep
5,355
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Atheism is a religion. The god of atheism is probably the self. It seems to involve worship of self.
That's a new one...
Maybe on your farm, but not elsewhere...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
M0011
Major General
M0011's Avatar
1573
Rep
5,081
Posts

Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Are any of the current candidates for president also atheist? If so, what brand of atheism? Maybe the OP could define what he means by "atheist" and give some examples of atheists that fit his definition.

Atheist is the person that does NOT believe in God. Not without evidence, at least. And, NO, bible is not an evidence.

Atheism is not a religion. Think of it this way: If you don't play golf, you are NOT a non-golfer. You don't get together with other non-golfers and talk about not playing golf.

So what is atheism? It is a declaration of independance from the religious. It is when people like me feel oppressed by religious radicals riding on high moral horse and voting-away my kids future.

Edit: I'm agnostic. An agnostic is an like an atheist but doesn't say God doesn't exist. Absence of evidence is NOT an evidence of absence. Until there is physical evidence (because we live in the physical world), that God, JC, Allah of Flying Spaghetti Monster exist, I don't believe in them. The burden of proof is on you because you claim it’s existence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Hope this helps.
__________________
///f80 YMB/SS 6MT ZCP | f80 | f30 |e92 | tt | S5 | e92 | 350z | e90 |
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #21
scottwww
Brigadier General
scottwww's Avatar
United_States
330
Rep
4,759
Posts

Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Atheist is the person that does NOT believe in God. Not without evidence, at least. And, NO, bible is not an evidence.

Atheism is not a religion. Think of it this way: If you don't play golf, you are NOT a non-golfer. You don't get together with other non-golfers and talk about not playing golf.

So what is atheism? It is a declaration of independance from the religious. It is when people like me feel oppressed by religious radicals riding on high moral horse and voting-away my kids future.

Edit: I'm agnostic. An agnostic is an like an atheist but doesn't say God doesn't exist. Absence of evidence is NOT an evidence of absence. Until there is physical evidence (because we live in the physical world), that God, JC, Allah of Flying Spaghetti Monster exist, I don't believe in them. The burden of proof is on you because you claim it’s existence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Hope this helps.
That explanation gives it a little more clarity.

The article in Wikipedia is interesting. By the Wikipedia explanation, I might not exclude all atheists from consideration.

I would certainly exclude any atheist that fits my general concept of what constitutes an atheist. That would be one that seeks ways to undermine people's free practice of religion and to remove symbols of religion from public life. It also means those atheists who would promote atheism (or secularism) with policy that is incompatible with religion. Judaism and Christianity are the foundation of this nation and continues to be claimed by a large percentage of the population. It is the defacto standard and should not be suppressed to make it more comfortable for atheists. Probably any ACLU member would fit that class of atheist that I could not support in an election. I can live peaceably with people of most religions (atheists and agnostics, too). Satanists, wiccans, terrorists and such are the type I would not choose to associate with.

Although atheists may not literally worship themselves, don't most of them think that they (as humans) are the supreme being (in that they are not accountable to any higher being)? Those atheists who are also hedonists would worship themselves with pleasure. The term worship may be used rather loosely here, just as people might ask, "Do you worship money? or success?" It is more or less referring to what is first and foremost in your life. Worship takes place in many forms.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #22
Shin
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: Audi S5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
That explanation gives it a little more clarity.

The article in Wikipedia is interesting. By the Wikipedia explanation, I might not exclude all atheists from consideration.

I would certainly exclude any atheist that fits my general concept of what constitutes an atheist. That would be one that seeks ways to undermine people's free practice of religion and to remove symbols of religion from public life. It also means those atheists who would promote atheism (or secularism) with policy that is incompatible with religion. Judaism and Christianity are the foundation of this nation and continues to be claimed by a large percentage of the population. It is the defacto standard and should not be suppressed to make it more comfortable for atheists. Probably any ACLU member would fit that class of atheist that I could not support in an election. I can live peaceably with people of most religions (atheists and agnostics, too). Satanists, wiccans, terrorists and such are the type I would not choose to associate with.

Although atheists may not literally worship themselves, don't most of them think that they (as humans) are the supreme being (in that they are not accountable to any higher being)? Those atheists who are also hedonists would worship themselves with pleasure. The term worship may be used rather loosely here, just as people might ask, "Do you worship money? or success?" It is more or less referring to what is first and foremost in your life. Worship takes place in many forms.
Don't be so condescending. Just because atheists don't believe in something that has no proof of existence doesn't mean they're all self-centered bastards like you think they are. A person doesn't have to believe in God to be a good person.

Science has done more for mankind than God has ever done. I grew up in a Christian family, but I gave up on God when I was around 14 years old. Look at the world today. If this "God" was so great and loving, don't you think he could do a bit more for this fucked up world?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST