BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Atheist for President of US?
Yes 109 67.70%
No 52 32.30%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

11-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
M0011
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Would you vote for an Atheist for President of US?

I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each personís dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.

I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.

I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.

I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.

I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations, and that the best government is that which governs least.

I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.

I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.

I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.

FINALLY, I DONíT BELIEVE IN GOD.
      11-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

LoL...do we need 2 threads about this?

must be important...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'll feel more comfortable with one in place.

I do not believe in god, but religious people have great morals.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
M0011
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
I'll feel more comfortable with one in place.

I do not believe in god, but religious people have great morals.
So, you support G. Dub?
You scare me dude...and I'm serious...
      12-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda6s

so every non-atheist is g dub now?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Grizzles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550XI MSPORT

when they find out that there is no god, jews and palestinians will be holding hands as they jump off the george washington bridge
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
M0011
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by its ray den View Post
so every non-atheist is g dub now?
His post says so:
"I'll feel more comfortable with one in place."
      12-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
Rep

err... what the crap are you talking about?

"I'll feel more comfortable with one in place" is the same as "i support george w bush" ??

your question asks about atheist vs non-atheist presidential candidates, and has absolutely nothing to do with g dub, although i know he is your great motivation for this post.

you lumping all theists into a g dub mold is about as meritorious as stereotyping on a specific race because some kid of that race mugged you when you were in 6th grade. doesn't make much sense does it?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
M0011
Major General
Rep

Quote:
err... what the crap are you talking about?

"I'll feel more comfortable with one in place" is the same as "i support george w bush" ??

your question asks about atheist vs non-atheist presidential candidates, and has absolutely nothing to do with g dub, although i know he is your great motivation for this post.

you lumping all theists into a g dub mold is about as meritorious as stereotyping on a specific race because some kid of that race mugged you when you were in 6th grade. doesn't make much sense does it?
I don't have the time to debate you now, but your anger must be coming from the results of this poll. Go, pray and God will change it qround...he works im mysterious ways.
      12-05-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Thread failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
I don't have the time to debate you now, but your anger must be coming from the results of this poll. Go, pray and God will change it qround...he works im mysterious ways.
no i'm not angry. i'm just so surprised that a person of science, logic and reason that you claim to be would make these kinds of statements. do you even know what you don't like about the current state of our politics?

it's ok if you don't have time to "debate" with me. adios!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #12
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
M0011
Major General
Rep

Quote:
??????
      12-09-2007, 12:34 AM   #14
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
Rep

did you delete your post or did the admins do it?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #15
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

To the OP...i agree with you completly.

I personally think that religion should have no part in politics, it's just something else politicians hide behind to justify something.
      12-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Atheism is a religion. The god of atheism is probably the self. It seems to involve worship of self.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Atheism is a religion. The god of atheism is probably the self. It seems to involve worship of self.
No from what I understand atheism is not believing in any religon. And I doubt that can be classified as a religion
      12-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #18
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Are any of the current candidates for president also atheist? If so, what brand of atheism? Maybe the OP could define what he means by "atheist" and give some examples of atheists that fit his definition.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #19
drF80
Major General
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
That's a new one...
Maybe on your farm, but not elsewhere...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
M0011
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Are any of the current candidates for president also atheist? If so, what brand of atheism? Maybe the OP could define what he means by "atheist" and give some examples of atheists that fit his definition.

Atheist is the person that does NOT believe in God. Not without evidence, at least. And, NO, bible is not an evidence.

Atheism is not a religion. Think of it this way: If you don't play golf, you are NOT a non-golfer. You don't get together with other non-golfers and talk about not playing golf.

So what is atheism? It is a declaration of independance from the religious. It is when people like me feel oppressed by religious radicals riding on high moral horse and voting-away my kids future.

Edit: I'm agnostic. An agnostic is an like an atheist but doesn't say God doesn't exist. Absence of evidence is NOT an evidence of absence. Until there is physical evidence (because we live in the physical world), that God, JC, Allah of Flying Spaghetti Monster exist, I don't believe in them. The burden of proof is on you because you claim it’s existence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Hope this helps.
      12-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #21
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Atheist is the person that does NOT believe in God. Not without evidence, at least. And, NO, bible is not an evidence.

Atheism is not a religion. Think of it this way: If you don't play golf, you are NOT a non-golfer. You don't get together with other non-golfers and talk about not playing golf.

So what is atheism? It is a declaration of independance from the religious. It is when people like me feel oppressed by religious radicals riding on high moral horse and voting-away my kids future.

Edit: I'm agnostic. An agnostic is an like an atheist but doesn't say God doesn't exist. Absence of evidence is NOT an evidence of absence. Until there is physical evidence (because we live in the physical world), that God, JC, Allah of Flying Spaghetti Monster exist, I don't believe in them. The burden of proof is on you because you claim it’s existence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Hope this helps.
That explanation gives it a little more clarity.

The article in Wikipedia is interesting. By the Wikipedia explanation, I might not exclude all atheists from consideration.

I would certainly exclude any atheist that fits my general concept of what constitutes an atheist. That would be one that seeks ways to undermine people's free practice of religion and to remove symbols of religion from public life. It also means those atheists who would promote atheism (or secularism) with policy that is incompatible with religion. Judaism and Christianity are the foundation of this nation and continues to be claimed by a large percentage of the population. It is the defacto standard and should not be suppressed to make it more comfortable for atheists. Probably any ACLU member would fit that class of atheist that I could not support in an election. I can live peaceably with people of most religions (atheists and agnostics, too). Satanists, wiccans, terrorists and such are the type I would not choose to associate with.

Although atheists may not literally worship themselves, don't most of them think that they (as humans) are the supreme being (in that they are not accountable to any higher being)? Those atheists who are also hedonists would worship themselves with pleasure. The term worship may be used rather loosely here, just as people might ask, "Do you worship money? or success?" It is more or less referring to what is first and foremost in your life. Worship takes place in many forms.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #22
Shin
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
That explanation gives it a little more clarity.

The article in Wikipedia is interesting. By the Wikipedia explanation, I might not exclude all atheists from consideration.

I would certainly exclude any atheist that fits my general concept of what constitutes an atheist. That would be one that seeks ways to undermine people's free practice of religion and to remove symbols of religion from public life. It also means those atheists who would promote atheism (or secularism) with policy that is incompatible with religion. Judaism and Christianity are the foundation of this nation and continues to be claimed by a large percentage of the population. It is the defacto standard and should not be suppressed to make it more comfortable for atheists. Probably any ACLU member would fit that class of atheist that I could not support in an election. I can live peaceably with people of most religions (atheists and agnostics, too). Satanists, wiccans, terrorists and such are the type I would not choose to associate with.

Although atheists may not literally worship themselves, don't most of them think that they (as humans) are the supreme being (in that they are not accountable to any higher being)? Those atheists who are also hedonists would worship themselves with pleasure. The term worship may be used rather loosely here, just as people might ask, "Do you worship money? or success?" It is more or less referring to what is first and foremost in your life. Worship takes place in many forms.
Don't be so condescending. Just because atheists don't believe in something that has no proof of existence doesn't mean they're all self-centered bastards like you think they are. A person doesn't have to believe in God to be a good person.

Science has done more for mankind than God has ever done. I grew up in a Christian family, but I gave up on God when I was around 14 years old. Look at the world today. If this "God" was so great and loving, don't you think he could do a bit more for this fucked up world?
Appreciate 0