BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

Speed Shine---Other choices?

Ive been getting the Griots catalog for 11 years now, and have spent many hours on my throne reading it.

I just have never ordered from gritos for 2 reasons....

1) Seems like a lot of hype with the products, where im sure you can buy better stuff for the same money.

2) everytime i go to their website, i fill up my cart with goodies, and by the time im about to checkout, im up over 200 bucks.

Ive already purchased a bunch of alternatives from other vendors..mf towels, soaps, vinyl stuff, etc....

BUT

I seem to have always been drawn to Speed Shine. It really seems like a great product, but Ive actually never used it, or know anyone who has.

Im willing to give another vendor the chance to beat it, just dont know who. Chemical Guys?

Your input will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

I haven't used this product so I can't directly compare similar ones I've used. It seems like the product is a quick detailer that also has some gloss enhancing properties as well. We carry quite a few products that are very similar and are amongst our best selling products. I really like the Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer. It can be a great clay lubricant or you can use it clean virtually any exterior surface on your vehicle with a quality microfiber towel. Some other great options are our Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer and the Chemical Guys Speed Wipe. They all work great and are very good values as well. The forum discount code 10offBMW1 will save you 10% on all of these products as well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep

btw,

i dont really plan on using it to clean the whole car in between washes......that just scares me.

i mainly want it for removing bird droppings and other things that get on the car, while the paint is pretty clean.....in between washes.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

If it matters...a friend that does some serious car detailing swears by Griot's stuff. He has used all sorts of different products and always goes back to Griot's. I haven't used any Griot's myself but his results are top notch. The paint on his Porsche looks like glass. He uses everything for the outside, inside and even under the hood and says it is great stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

One very similar product is Zaino Z6. I seem to have an easier time getting Z6 to be streak free than Speed Shine, but I do like both. Lots of Griots stuff can be found cheaper elsewhere, but some of their products are really good. I like the their interior cleaner and their engine degreaser. Their vinyl and plastic detailer is pretty good too, especially if you like a really flat, barely there finish, even less than 303 or Einszett.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Speed Shine is absolutely amazing. It's brilliant at helping you keep the finish perfect, by allowing you to easily remove bugs, bird droppings and other nasty dirty spots in between washes. It's probably my favorite Griot's product. Their stuff is pricey, but ordering in kits and waiting for discount codes helps. They almost always have some sort of 10-20% off promotion. Right now, they're offering free shipping.
      06-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
PositvPresur
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Montego Blue

I love Speedshine. I use a lot of Griots products and they are all good. I have a 34 Ford hot rod that is a show car and i use the speed shine before every show.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep

i dont plan on waxing the car until the end of august......new paint.....

do quick detail sprays have better effects/saftey on a waxed finish?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
i dont plan on waxing the car until the end of august......new paint.....

You can wax right away, the paint is heated at the factory. Even if waiting for repainted areas to cure, you only need to wait a month.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post

Detail sprays are FAR more effective on freshly waxed/sealed paint

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
If it matters...a friend that does some serious car detailing swears by Griot's stuff. He has used all sorts of different products and always goes back to Griot's. I haven't used any Griot's myself but his results are top notch. The paint on his Porsche looks like glass. He uses everything for the outside, inside and even under the hood and says it is great stuff.
That's because Griot's is the best. Period. The *other* brands are just that. Some *hyped* more than others on our site for *interesting* reasons that shall remain confidential.

http://griotsgarage.com

Griot's . . . there is no substitute.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
mchaskell
Traveler
Rep
Drives: 135i

Speed Shine is a great product. This is probably heresy, but I use Eagle One Wax As-U-Dry and followed up with Speed Shine.
      06-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I have a BSM 135i,..that shows every mark / speck of dirt.
SPEED SHINE!!!!ROCKS!
I buy it by the gallon w/ the dispenser spout! I use it at least twice a week during the summer.
Removes bug juice like magic w/ a microfiber.
No streaking issues here either.
Only other quick detailer Ive used is the Pinnacle Carnuba spray,..that was good too,..but pricier than groits.

My routine in between washes is LIGHTLY run the california duster over the car,..then wipe down w/ speed shine,..perfecto!. (Car doesnt go out in the rain, so dust is my biggest issue)

I also use the Blue California wheel duster. (Works great @ taking the brake dust off the rims if it isnt baked on) i clean mine every couple times I drive it.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep

Do you use the griots mf towels? I'm thinking of getting the kit with their speed shine specific towels. I've read around that griots towels aren't much to be desired.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I dont use the groits towels,..so cant comment on them.
I have purchased some "inexpensive" MF towels that I use for door jambs, and interior cleaning. I also have some nce banded 16x16 MF towels but cant remember where I ordered them from.
I just actually purchased some towels from the ChemicalGuys.com website. They look to be pretty thick and of good quality plus they were on sale! they havent arrived yet so cant fully comment.

One item you need is the Big blue waffle weave drying towel!
F'in awesome. Used to use a chamois,..never again.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0