BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
teaberry
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport Convert 6spd

Question about oil filter housing gasket and oil pan gasket changes at 57k miles

Hello All, I'm a bit nervous and excited to be a first time BMW owner as I have searched daily for a N55 1-series convertible and finally found one in California at a small dealership. It's a 2012 135i M Sport Pkg 6spd convertible in Sapphire black. I'm in TX so I had to rely on a lot of videos, carfax, and a PPI at Mountain View BMW while having oil changed.

The dealer came back to tell me that the oil filter housing gasket and oil pan gaskets need to be replaced as it is seeping (not leaking yet) oil. But the dealer also said I need brake fluid flush and I mentioned that only about 100 miles ago the brakes were replaced and fluid flushed at another BMW dealer based on Carfax (then they apologized and said that's not needed). I had the salesman send me pics and videos of the car in various operation (top up/down, walk around, start-up, drive, etc) and the car looks pretty solid. Is it normal for the 135i (N55) with 57k to be needing new gaskets? Here is a link to the Carfax if anyone wish to review the records https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...UN7C53CVM26501 . TIA

*Also, how can I tell if it has the factory HK sound system? Seems to be fairly loaded, but no mention specifically of HK sound system. https://www.siliconvalleyenthusiast....-Series/234935
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

If BMW dealer said "seeping" then you're likely OK to drive it back home. Investigate your area for a good BMW indy garage and have the gaskets done at home by "your" mechanic.
I think it's a little early for these gaskets to go, hence get the car home and get a 2nd opinion from "your" mechanic.
Join BMWCCA; a whole new world will open up for you especially other members in your area who will have valuable advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #3
teaberry
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport Convert 6spd

Thanks. It was loaded on an enclosed transport on the top row and on the way to Texas. I will have an independent BMW mechanic check it out after I take her for a spin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
If BMW dealer said "seeping" then you're likely OK to drive it back home. Investigate your area for a good BMW indy garage and have the gaskets done at home by "your" mechanic.
I think it's a little early for these gaskets to go, hence get the car home and get a 2nd opinion from "your" mechanic.
Join BMWCCA; a whole new world will open up for you especially other members in your area who will have valuable advice.
Appreciate 0