BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Upgrading to include CarPlay...

First time delving into the audio/electronics bit of the forums.

I'm wanting to replace my current head unit with something CarPlay-enabled (or refit-able, like an Android unit). I've got a few options sorta picked-out; (1) Xtrons PA7781BP with a USB adapter module to use CarPlay, (2) Double-DIN unit (Sony XAV-AX100 or -AX1000) with Spiral Audio kit, or (3) Single-DIN unit (very few options) with a kit (again, very few options). I have a 2009 128i, the stock head unit simply says BMW Professional on it, but none of the VIN decoders I've used say it has the premium audio option and whatnot.

Questions about Xtrons: Their face plate kit doesn't have a cutout for heated seat controls. I've read once or twice that there are software buttons in a submenu. Can anyone verify this? Also, does the included harness connect the unit to the USB port located underneath the armrest? Any issues or things I'll need to modify to install the unit?

about the D-DIN: I like the out-of-the-box CarPlay readiness of these units. I'm curious how the harnesses will work and how everything will work with each other in the car. Anyone with insight? A big benefit with a lot of these kits is keeping the physical heated seat controls, which is convenient, but not so important to rule-out the Xtrons unit. I have heard that you may need to cut/remove some material (plastic?) behind the radio. Is there a certain mounting kit that I'd need to make it work (Janus Design has a whole bracket)? I could also do an Xtrons D-DIN Android unit, which will have a larger screen that's movable, a newer OS, and might look a little cleaner.

about the S-DIN: Keeps everything below the radio in the same place, but is severely limited in options. Anyone mounted an S-DIN radio in their cars? I haven't done much research, but it looks like they're more direct-fitting than D-DIN units.

I'm a little lost when it comes to audio stuff since I like making my car drive better more than just about anything..

Thanks for any help and insight!
      09-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

I put in a Joying single DIN 8" Android head unit and am very happy with it.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1510420

The Xtrons unit does appear to include a CAN bus decoder, which is needed for steering wheel controls, chimes, PDC and seat heater control.

I didn't realize it needed a USB dongle to support CarPlay. My Joying unit just uses an app called Z-Link.

For the USB port under the armrest, there is an adapter called the connects2 CTBMWUSB but I think it's not really worth it. You could also replace the whole panel with a flush fitting standard USB port.

Yeah there are definitely better head units in double DIN, but in the 1 series the screen would be too low for my liking. I think the reason why they often put the climate controls above the screen is because there are 2 screws on the sides at the bottom that the climate control panel is wider than so it won't fit in between. Also, you will have to cut some plastic out behind the dash. See the instructions for:

Metra 95-9315B
http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...-9315B_web.pdf

connects2 CT23BM05
http://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/...s/CT23BM05.pdf

For single DIN, ones with a flip out screen like the Pioneer AVH-3300NEX would cover the air vents.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1489855

For a fixed screen there's the Joying headunit that I got, the Alpine iLX-F309 ($900), or even the Alpine iLX-207 ($600) might work but the bare metal chassis and screen will stick out from the dash. The Joying is nice because it runs Android 8.0 so you can pretty much run any app directly on it. But it has some quirks and glitches so it isn't as polished as the major brands.

All of these universal headunits need a smart harness like the PAC RadioPRO RP4.2-BM21 to retain steering wheel controls, chimes and PDC. However, they don't support heated seats.
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

I have a Pioneer DEH-80PRS single din, it looks factory with the Metra kit I used. I had a double din Pioneer but sent it back because it was huge! I personally I think a single din looks perfect in the E82.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
I have a Pioneer DEH-80PRS single din, it looks factory with the Metra kit I used. I had a double din Pioneer but sent it back because it was huge! I personally I think a single din looks perfect in the E82.
Could you please post a couple of pictures? I was hesitant to get a single din unit because I thought it would look out of place in the dash.
Appreciate 0